SD or MMC memory card?

hello,

i am brand new to digital cameras/camcorders.
the book for my camera says that i can use an SD or MMC memory card.

is there any difference between these 2 types of cards?

i looked through the sunday paper and saw a few brands, but don't know if
one is better or worst than the next.
the ones i saw were san disk, lexar, kingston and olympus
is there a web site that rates memory cards?

i came across a web page that listed how many photos and minutes per video
memory cards hold.
i was wondering how accurate the info is.

a 512 mb memory card should hold between 256 and 432 photos depending on the
quality of the pictures or 3 hours of video
a gig memory card should hold between 512 and 864 photos depending on the
quality of the pictures or 6 hours of video

any help with the type of memory card would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

try memories on tv. you can get it at cnet.com....very
simple.

thank you.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

: try memories on tv. you can get it at cnet.com....very
: simple.
:
: >i am brand new to digital cameras/camcorders.
: >the book for my camera says that i can use an SD or MMC
: memory card.
: >
[...]
: >--
: >Indera