safe to use hard drive from fried computer?

I recently had an old P200 fry on me when I turned it off. It made a
'pop' and smoke came out. From then on, pressing power did nothing. I
tried replacing the power supply to no avail, so I'm assuming the
motherboard is dead too.

I'd like to put it's hard drive into my new(er) computer, but am
worried that the hard drive may have been toasted as well. If this is
the case, is there a chance that it could damage my new computer?
Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about safe hard drive fried computer

    Previously ccx42 <ccx42@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > I recently had an old P200 fry on me when I turned it off. It made a
    > 'pop' and smoke came out. From then on, pressing power did nothing. I
    > tried replacing the power supply to no avail, so I'm assuming the
    > motherboard is dead too.

    > I'd like to put it's hard drive into my new(er) computer, but am
    > worried that the hard drive may have been toasted as well. If this is
    > the case, is there a chance that it could damage my new computer?

    It could shorten out the PSU in your new computer. Whether that does
    damage depends on a lot of factors, incuding whether the PSU in the
    new computer is really short-circuit proof.

    Arno

    ccx42 wrote:
    > I recently had an old P200 fry on me when I turned it off. It made a
    > 'pop' and smoke came out. From then on, pressing power did nothing. I
    > tried replacing the power supply to no avail, so I'm assuming the
    > motherboard is dead too.
    >
    > I'd like to put it's hard drive into my new(er) computer, but am
    > worried that the hard drive may have been toasted as well. If this is
    > the case, is there a chance that it could damage my new computer?
    > Thanks!

    It's possible, but not very likely. If you're worried about it,
    you could connect it by itself to a separate (cheap) controller, or
    even put it in an external USB case.

    ccx42 <ccx42@mailinator.com> wrote in message

    > I recently had an old P200 fry on me when I turned it off. It made a
    > 'pop' and smoke came out. From then on, pressing power did nothing.
    > I tried replacing the power supply to no avail, so I'm assuming the
    > motherboard is dead too.

    > I'd like to put it's hard drive into my new(er) computer, but am
    > worried that the hard drive may have been toasted as well. If this is
    > the case, is there a chance that it could damage my new computer?

    Very unlikely.

    I wouldnt rely on it for data storage, it may have got
    damaged by the original PC dying, but its unlikely to
    damage your new one while you get the data off it etc.

Computer Hard Drives Storage