Canon s500 or Sony P100

I can't decide between the two. The sony has a better battery life, faster
shutter, better video, bigger screen, but it uses memory cards and has a
inferior form factor IMO. They both have excellent pictures from what I
gather I have a canon s100 now but am ready for an upgrade. Anyone have any
views from experience between these? Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about canon s500 sony p100

    The p100 is over $100 cheaper as well.

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:10:57 -0400, "Asscrack" <jzurb@charter.net> wrote:

    >I can't decide between the two. The sony has a better battery life, faster
    >shutter, better video, bigger screen, but it uses memory cards and has a
    >inferior form factor IMO. They both have excellent pictures from what I
    >gather I have a canon s100 now but am ready for an upgrade. Anyone have any
    >views from experience between these? Thanks

    I'd choose the Canon S-500. It'll be a nice upgrade to your S-100 and you
    already have Compact Flash memory. The Sony P-100 may be a very nice
    camera but I don't like Sony's "gotta be different" attitude with their
    Memory Stick memory. Remember Sony VCR's. Everyone else was using
    the VHS format but Sony had to be different!
    Are Memory Sticks any better than the other formats? No.
    Are they more expensive? Yes.
    I once had a Sony Digital Camera, a Mavica FD-7, but it used floppy
    disks for image storage, so I know they make a good product.
    I also had a Canon S-100 and upgraded it a while back to the S-400
    which I still like and use.

    Jack Mac

    wrote:

    >I can't decide between the two. The sony has a better battery life, faster
    >shutter, better video, bigger screen, but it uses memory cards and has a
    >inferior form factor IMO. They both have excellent pictures from what I
    >gather I have a canon s100 now but am ready for an upgrade. Anyone have any
    >views from experience between these? Thanks

    If you're considering the S500, then have you considered Sony's DSC-W1
    at all? They're in the same price range, at least around here,
    anyway. It came down to the S500 and DSC-W1 for me and I chose the W1
    and I'm happy with it. But I probably would've been just as happy
    wtih the S500 too.

    It just came down to a few things personal preferences for me, such as
    better video and a live histogram. The latter is something I'm
    finding very useful. But the S500 does have the manual white balance,
    which I sometimes wish I had the use with my W1. But W1 still does a
    pretty good job in auto WB mode and its predetermined settings do
    pretty good too.

    So, if you have the cash to consider the S500, then perhaps you might
    wanna consider the W1 as well. Good luck!

    Just returned a p100 I bought on amazon. The camera is pretty nice...
    BUT I found it impossible to hold still while pressing the button.
    DUH! And I'm not especially spacko either, my friend also had the same
    problem with the camera.

    I didn't like getting high resolution, 5.1MP blurred images. I'm going
    for a bigger camera now, which has some "grip" to it. The S500 is
    pretty small too, from what I've seen.

Cameras Sony Canon Peripherals