Ad hoc network and WEP/WPA not feasible?

I'm using 5 identical Latitude D600 notebooks from Dell
with XP sp1. I've setup an ad hoc wireless network which
works fine until I enable either WEP or WPA. Then I can't
ping, login or access shares on any of the other
machines. I called DELL and support told me that that the
concensus of opinion of the Techs working that shift was
that WEP and WPA do not work with Ad hoc networks. The
person I talked to was even surprised that I was
attempting to do and that and confirmed with her
colleagues that this was not feasible. I found at least
two articles on the Internet that had instructions for
using WEP with an ad hoc network, I found one article
that said to use WEP or WPA you had to use the
infrastructure mode. Does anyone know the exact truth of
the matter? Is Dell correct? THANKS!!
2 answers Last reply
More about network feasible

    dell maybe correct becouse they know about the compatibility of the computer
    yu have

    "Gary R. Lehrer" wrote:

    > I'm using 5 identical Latitude D600 notebooks from Dell
    > with XP sp1. I've setup an ad hoc wireless network which
    > works fine until I enable either WEP or WPA. Then I can't
    > ping, login or access shares on any of the other
    > machines. I called DELL and support told me that that the
    > concensus of opinion of the Techs working that shift was
    > that WEP and WPA do not work with Ad hoc networks. The
    > person I talked to was even surprised that I was
    > attempting to do and that and confirmed with her
    > colleagues that this was not feasible. I found at least
    > two articles on the Internet that had instructions for
    > using WEP with an ad hoc network, I found one article
    > that said to use WEP or WPA you had to use the
    > infrastructure mode. Does anyone know the exact truth of
    > the matter? Is Dell correct? THANKS!!

    Gary - I set up a WEP secure Ad Hoc connection between a PC & Laptop
    last night with WinXP SP2, so it can definitely be done.

    --
    simonova

WEP Dell Wireless Networking