Microsoft..support

mkk_klink

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
..first time since win 95.. i own a copy ..that is not..in someone ells name (toshiba, Dell, IBM, Lenovo etc..)
bought the Win8 pro.(64)..so far...its not a time saver..since all my equipment seems to be unsupported..
And if one component is...some thing ells is not..so the support departments from: Logitech,,(keyboard mouse and camera)..blames ms, Nvidia..who has the drivers for it, but they just does not work...as they should.
Gigabyte..has not even bother to reply to my support request and tells me to look it up in their forum
..And Microsoft.. blames Intel.. lovely isnt it..
Before we bought the..real version we had issues..true..how ever the comp ability tool on the microsoft side reported..that everything should be just gr
We made a clean install and updated the drivers first from Microsoftupdate..and the to the more surgical approach..as in one by one from the device manager..
And.. checked it with one of those horrible driver update tools.. all the latest.. Called the support..who did what they always do..as in..make sure that the versions they believed to be the best..where installed (2 hours) / Call Logitech, Nvidia and Microsoft, Gigabyte just did not bother.
After...as it is now..many more hours later...no result (we did not expect any).. And after have been promised callbacks.that never happened.
So what did we do then...
First stop..
New batteries to keyboard and mouse ( the old one where not that old...but better safe then sorry)
New video card. Certified drivers for win 8
Dissabled onboard Video
Dissabled onboard sound
And removed the sounblastercard

no diffrence...

Nxt Step:
New motherboard (g 41 Intel) reported from the MS page to be.. OK as in compatible
New RAM 2 x 4 Gb
New cordless keyboard Logitech K400
New Upgraded PSU

And another videocard! hdmi out so no nead for separate soundcard..even if it is not as sexy..it should work..(no)

Still the same Isue ( how ever our new keyboard...has got back the reach.. that we need about 7 feet..)

The smallest common denominator..with i can find would be..non compatible chipset drivers.. (Intel) whom i can not ask for support..since it is a gigabyte board..

Kinda nice isnt it..since Ms ..pretty much promised us that what ever worked on vista would work on win 8..well it does not..

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
That old case of if you were happy with it why change it.
That is why I sit it out on a new release of an OS never mind the tempting buy it for a Song before it goes up in price trick. Yes I have tried windows 8, But windows 7 does what I need it for and works right. So it will be a while before I switch over to it say a year or more so if I choose.

mkk_klink

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Funny that you should say that.. cause that s what I always says..How ever..this time it got a bit more tricky,along time ago when i started to try out win 7...
I was given disc media from Ms...and just a few weeks ago..it told me it was not longer valid...And..yes.i do know my way around Linux.but some how I do not have the time to reinvent the wheel every week any more...(School, LIFE,etc)

mkk_klink

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
My bad sorry.. Usb wireless keyboard and mouse.....lost its reach...from 30 feet..to 2.
Sound sounds like your going in to a tunnel with an old cell phone, SSd drive Fails after a few minutes..and system crashes..

I don't know much about the keyboard, mouse or sound but some about SSD drives.
Window 8 is much more SSD aware than previous version. This results in the various TRIM functions being called and handed down to the SSD drives firmware at a high rate. The firmware has to do it correctly for the drive will have issues after a few minutes of IO (say from a browser). A lot of the newer drives have fixed this issue in the shipping versions. They fixed it for the older versions but people don't update the SSD firmware until they figure out the problem. Best shot is to grab the current firmware version and see if that one problem goes away.
Also, win8 will run tell the drive to run its TRIM functions on your drive when it does maintenance or
you tell it to optimize the drive. My old SSD had a bunch of problems when I started running win 8.
playing games would pause 4-5 seconds, the stupid thing would not wake up from sleep.
I looked up the firmware, found they made a lot of fixes and installed the latest. both of my problems have cleared up.

Anyway even if you went back to win 7 your SSD will have the same problem but will just get choked up over time rather than short pauses while the trim functions execute and fix your drive.

mkk_klink

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Cheeers for that.. i will try the latest firm ware from Intel.. and i do hope that clears things up..our temporary solution is to..turn up the FSB..a notch seems to be working when we use the old..hdd s ..question is..do i reinstall again to the ssd..and hope that the firm ware for the INTEL 320 solves it..and lower the the fsb back..the usb issues..seems to be working a bit better..dissabled all energy saving functions in both bios and windows.
pitty that the new keyboard cant..be used in bios mode (logitech 400)
luckely our old logitech 250 works..and no it doesnt seem to be any diffrence if we have usb mode enabled..or disabled..

mkk_klink

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Cheeers for that.. i will try the latest firm ware from Intel.. and i do hope that clears things up..our temporary solution is to..turn up the FSB..a notch seems to be working when we use the old..hdd s ..question is..do i reinstall again to the ssd..and hope that the firm ware for the INTEL 320 solves it..and lower the the fsb back..the usb issues..seems to be working a bit better..dissabled all energy saving functions in both bios and windows.
pitty that the new keyboard cant..be used in bios mode (logitech 400)
luckely our old logitech 250 works..and no it doesnt seem to be any diffrence if we have usb mode enabled..or disabled..