DVD Player problems

After I reinstalled the Winxp in my laptop (instead of win2000), I can't see
any dvd films in my dvd-rom, even the right dvds I could play before the new
winxp system.
some of the dvds have the audio, but none of them can have the video pic.
Anyone can tell me what's the problem here? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about player problems

    Reinstall your DVD decoding software such as PowerDVD or WinDVD, whichever
    came with your PC originally.
    www.coribright.com

    "Joanna Li" <Joanna Li@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After I reinstalled the Winxp in my laptop (instead of win2000), I can't
    > see
    > any dvd films in my dvd-rom, even the right dvds I could play before the
    > new
    > winxp system.
    > some of the dvds have the audio, but none of them can have the video pic.
    > Anyone can tell me what's the problem here? Thanks.

    I have the same problem. I have XP Professional on my laptop and had XP Home
    and my DVDs worked fine in my DVD rom. Now they don't. I followed the advice
    given to Joanna and I re-installed WinDVD, but from Compag's support website.
    I don't have a separate DVD software disk that came with my laptop. All of my
    system disks are recovery restore, XP operating system disk, but it is for
    the Home addition. So, after reinstalling windvd from the website, I tried to
    launch it and received this error: "Create overlay failed. Please lower your
    screen resolution or color depth and try again". My color quality setting is
    Highest 32-bit. I changed it to the lowest on my laptop which is Medium
    16-bit. The other is High at 24-bit. What can I do?
    Karen

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > Reinstall your DVD decoding software such as PowerDVD or WinDVD, whichever
    > came with your PC originally.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Joanna Li" <Joanna Li@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After I reinstalled the Winxp in my laptop (instead of win2000), I can't
    > > see
    > > any dvd films in my dvd-rom, even the right dvds I could play before the
    > > new
    > > winxp system.
    > > some of the dvds have the audio, but none of them can have the video pic.
    > > Anyone can tell me what's the problem here? Thanks.

    I have the same problem with 5 IBM-laptops in our organisation - and i
    suspect that some windowsupdate patch has brought this upon our
    organisation... codex-files ore windows mediaplayer9 og 10 ? Anybody help !

    "karen" wrote:

    > I have the same problem. I have XP Professional on my laptop and had XP Home
    > and my DVDs worked fine in my DVD rom. Now they don't. I followed the advice
    > given to Joanna and I re-installed WinDVD, but from Compag's support website.
    > I don't have a separate DVD software disk that came with my laptop. All of my
    > system disks are recovery restore, XP operating system disk, but it is for
    > the Home addition. So, after reinstalling windvd from the website, I tried to
    > launch it and received this error: "Create overlay failed. Please lower your
    > screen resolution or color depth and try again". My color quality setting is
    > Highest 32-bit. I changed it to the lowest on my laptop which is Medium
    > 16-bit. The other is High at 24-bit. What can I do?
    > Karen
    >

    > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Reinstall your DVD decoding software such as PowerDVD or WinDVD, whichever
    > > came with your PC originally.
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "Joanna Li" <Joanna Li@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > After I reinstalled the Winxp in my laptop (instead of win2000), I can't
    > > > see
    > > > any dvd films in my dvd-rom, even the right dvds I could play before the
    > > > new
    > > > winxp system.
    > > > some of the dvds have the audio, but none of them can have the video pic.
    > > > Anyone can tell me what's the problem here? Thanks.

    Thanks, but i have done so on 3 of the computers, i have also tried to
    upgrade winDVD and Mediaplayer, i have tried downloading the latest Direct-x,
    and 2 of the computers i have re-installed totally.

    The problem seems to appear on computers that have downloaded mediaplayer9
    and e "codec-patch" from windows update, so today we will try to find out
    wich codex-files we have on the computers with error and on the computers
    without error - and if that dosen't help - i will re-install all of the
    computers with error - we are running out of time and our users are getting
    angry :-(

Video DVD Players Windows XP