Here's how to fix the .avi properties problem.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I read old posts on the subject with no replies. Since I run into this
problem today and I fixed it, I want to share the solution:

If you get "Summary properties are unavailable for the selected
file(s)" on the properties summary tab when you check an .avi file
then you should open the Windows Media Player application, go to the
Tools menu, select Options, and click on the File Types tab. There,
you have to click on the checkbox next to Windows video file (avi),
then over the Apply button, and finish with OK. This should fix the
problem.
1 answer Last reply
More about here properties problem
  1. steven said:
    Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I read old posts on the subject with no replies. Since I run into this
    problem today and I fixed it, I want to share the solution:

    If you get "Summary properties are unavailable for the selected
    file(s)" on the properties summary tab when you check an .avi file
    then you should open the Windows Media Player application, go to the
    Tools menu, select Options, and click on the File Types tab. There,
    you have to click on the checkbox next to Windows video file (avi),
    then over the Apply button, and finish with OK. This should fix the
    problem.

    I was searching the web and found a solution using WinXP AVI Fix available free from http://software.bootblock.co.uk/ . I had tried the swapping Windows Media Player thing, but the only files corrected were WMV files. This software did all AVI files in a trice.

    Lenoir5002

Video AVI Windows XP