change harddrive on a p2 450mhz

I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
Thanks in advance
al

allan wrote:
> I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
> problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
> as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
> setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
> ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
> identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
> Thanks in advance
> al

Make sure you place the jumper in the correct place to set it as Master
for that make of drive. AFAIK, CS does/may not work with an older system.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Previously allan <u86513780@telia.com> wrote:
> I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
> problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
> as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
> setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
> ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
> identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
> Thanks in advance
> al

Might be a 32GB limit. Check whether the BIOS can support HDDs > 32GB
or at least update to the latest version. If this still does not help.
get a host-adapter (IDE controller card) with its own BIOS. I made
good experiences with promise 100TX2, although some other here had
problems. You might be able to get this type of card cheap on
ebay.

If this is the problem, you just have run into the PC indurtry trying
to force you to stop using older hardware. Might also have been
stupidity.

Arno

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously allan <u86513780@telia.com> wrote:
>> I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
>> problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
>> as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
>> setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
>> ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
>> identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
>> Thanks in advance
>> al
>
> Might be a 32GB limit. Check whether the BIOS can support HDDs > 32GB
> or at least update to the latest version. If this still does not help.
> get a host-adapter (IDE controller card) with its own BIOS. I made
> good experiences with promise 100TX2, although some other here had
> problems. You might be able to get this type of card cheap on
> ebay.
>
> If this is the problem, you just have run into the PC indurtry trying
> to force you to stop using older hardware. Might also have been
> stupidity.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity. I forget who said that.

Ran into a motherboard a while back that seemed pretty vanilla, but it
wouldn't recognize an ATA/66 drive that was otherwise identical to the
ATA/33 drive that I was replacing. Finally swapped that drive into a
machine down the hall with a different motherboard and swapped the drive
from that machine into the one I was trying to fix.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message news:41fbb223$0$16576$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com
> allan wrote:
> > I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
> > problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
> > as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
> > setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
> > ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
> > identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
> > Thanks in advance
> > al
>
> Make sure you place the jumper in the correct place to set it as Master
> for that make of drive.

> AFAIK, CS does/may not work with an older system.

Clueless.

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:ctgv8v01oi8@news4.newsguy.com
> Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> > Previously allan <u86513780@telia.com> wrote:
> > > I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
> > > problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
> > > as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
> > > setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
> > > ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
> > > identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > al
> >
> > Might be a 32GB limit. Check whether the BIOS can support HDDs > 32GB
> > or at least update to the latest version. If this still does not help.
> > get a host-adapter (IDE controller card) with its own BIOS. I made
> > good experiences with promise 100TX2, although some other here had
> > problems. You might be able to get this type of card cheap on ebay.
> >
> > If this is the problem, you just have run into the PC indurtry trying
> > to force you to stop using older hardware. Might also have been
> > stupidity.
>
> Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
> stupidity. I forget who said that.

I consider hiring clueless people to write bios code for them as a form of malice.

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message news:41fbb223$0$16576$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com
>
>>allan wrote:
>>
>>>I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
>>>problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
>>>as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
>>>setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
>>>ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
>>>identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
>>>Thanks in advance
>>>al
>>
>>Make sure you place the jumper in the correct place to set it as Master
>>for that make of drive.
>

>>AFAIK, CS does/may not work with an older system.
>

> Clueless.

What/ who is?

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:

>> Previously allan <u86513780@telia.com> wrote:
>>> I been trying to put a new 40gb seagate harddrive in this old p2 rig.The
>>> problem I got is that the puter don't find it.I been trying to put it in
>>> as single master and I tried cable select and I tried with all bios
>>> setting as auto but no luck so far.Do any wiser person than me have any
>>> ideas on how to sort this out.When I start it the thing stops at
>>> identifying the primary master and it does not get any longer than that.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> al
>>
>> Might be a 32GB limit. Check whether the BIOS can support HDDs > 32GB
>> or at least update to the latest version. If this still does not help.
>> get a host-adapter (IDE controller card) with its own BIOS. I made
>> good experiences with promise 100TX2, although some other here had
>> problems. You might be able to get this type of card cheap on
>> ebay.
>>
>> If this is the problem, you just have run into the PC indurtry trying
>> to force you to stop using older hardware. Might also have been
>> stupidity.

> Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
> stupidity. I forget who said that.

Yes, very true. But this was not the first limit of this type,
so I thing malice actually is in the running for a change. ;-)

Here is a quote with an attribution:

"There's no need to impose the death penalty on stupidity. Just take all
the warning labels off of everything, and let the problem take care of
itself." -- Ryan Klippenstine, rasfwr-j

and another more famous one:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Arno