avi files

August 12, 2004 9:49:17 AM

I GET ERROR MESSAGE COOD11CD WHEN TRYING TO VIEW MOVIES
IN AVI FORMAT ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

More about : avi files

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:37:58 PM

AVI files can be compresed or uncompressed. An uncompressed AVI will take
up approximately 12gb of hard drive space per hour.....so you probably won't
find many online - and if you did, you probably wouldn't try downloading
them.

So we come to the conclusion that the AVI file you want to play is
compressed... and in order to be able to play it, you need to know which
particular codec it is compressed with.

Happily someone wrote something that will help
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Let G-Spot analyze the AVI and once you know which codec encoded and
compressed the file, you can download them, install them and the file will
play.
www.coribright.com

"ron g" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I GET ERROR MESSAGE COOD11CD WHEN TRYING TO VIEW MOVIES
> IN AVI FORMAT ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 1:06:14 AM

Ron G,

That is a codec error, See below my sig for a few solutions......in
addition, I think this one is caused by old version of WinDVD...not sure
now...if you have version 4 of any of the popular DVD players...you need to
upgrade to solve the problem properly.

Cari,

Most assuredly incorrect. A full DV-AVI file of one hour duration and
somewhere between 12 and 16GB "IS" compressed. The same DV-AVI file in an
un-compressed format "RAW" would be around 65GB or more, I have one such
file here. It is though quite irrelevant as to whether it is compressed or
not, a CODEC is ALWAYS required, even if it is just the base codec needed to
transfer the data to the screen . It is the conduit that the data must flow
along..

John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk

Hello there,

You sound as though you are suffering from a codec problem. There are two
root causes and below you will find the solution for each together with some
notes on other issues.

Option 1)

The one stop solution for that is a program called Rename Codecs and it is
available from my web site (Free). Make sure you check out the FAQ, on the
site, on what it does and how to run it (That will take about one minute of
your time!!) All the info you need is on the web site. The latest version is
1.51.

This reassuringly safe to use program requires no knowledge on your part
about what it is doing or how it is doing it or what it is doing it too!!!
neither do you need to know where any of these files are or whether it is
safe to rename them or not.....and best of all, ITS FREE !!!

Option 2)

If this does not solve your problem then try the following out...it has
proved to be a successful procedure for a variety of problems.

1) Download the full version of DirectX Ver 9.0b, Media Player 9 and Movie
Maker 2.

2) Reboot you computer and Install DirectX

3) Reboot again and install Windows Media Player 9

4) Reboot yet again and install Movie Maker 2

5) Reboot one more time

Yes it sounds very tedious, but if you want to be certain all file locks
are removed so that the correct files can be installed this is the way you
have to go.

It is very important that you only download the full versions of these
programs and that you DO NOT attempt an install over the internet.

Other Notes
===========
Graphic Card Acceleration
-------------------------

There is advice floating around that you should disable the graphics
acceleration abilities of your graphics card if Movie Maker locks up or
crashes out. Doing this is roughly equivalent to taking out your current
graphics card and replacing it with one that is several years old....this is
not the way forward!

The Graphics card on the machine I edit on is a cut above the average, it
has DV In & Out as well as Video In & Out. It does all sorts of clever
things and it is extremely fast. Then the day came when I tried Movie Maker
2 for the first time. It was a disaster. Knowing what the problem was I
immediately logged on to Microsoft and got the latest driver. There was no
change with the performance of the Graphics card with respect to Movie
Maker. After a lot of messing about I went to the cards manufacturer and
downloaded there most recent driver. I was convinced that the one from
Microsoft was in some way defective. It turned out that I was right but for
the wrong reason.

The version of the driver from Microsoft was more recent than the one on my
system AND more recent than the one from the OEM.BUT, the OEM had made minor
changes to how the card worked and these were not taken into consideration
by the Microsoft update!!!

So, do not get the generic update from Microsoft until you have tried the
latest driver from the manufacturer of your card.

Registration
------------

There is in my view some very bad advice floating around that tells you to
unregister the offending codec. If you take this advise be warned that
unregistering any file and doing it wrong will more than likely stop the
program that file belongs to from working all together and may in an extreme
situation cause your entire XP system to fail. This is true whether you make
a mistake using the Registry editor or the registration program itself, one
mistake and you are potentially in deep trouble. Whatever you unregister in
this manner has to be restored and you should take note that the
registration of a codec can often involve more than one registry entry. If
you are expert in these matters you will have no problem.

I have also found that MP3, Mpeg and Jpeg files can cause problems, So...

Convert all MP3 to WAV or WMA

Convert all MPeg to AVI

Convert all Jpeg to BMP

Video Conversion
----------------

For Video Conversion you should also check out the Knowledge Base Section
of my "Great Links > Knowledge Base" One of the website's in there called
"Video Help" has the best collection of useful information I have yet come
across on converting between the various formats together with links to the
software needed.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

>> That is a codec error

Nope, that's just "Unknown Error". In this case it does likely relate to
codec's, but that's 0xC00D11CD does not mean codec error.

>> I think this one is caused by old version of WinDVD

Nope. Older versions of DVD playback software would only install MPEG-2
decoders, new versions of many products install generic MPEG-4 decoders for
DivX.

>> Option 1)

I don't see a link to that anywhere on the web.

>> Option 2)

Good process, but its not going to change most peoples issues with third
party codec's.

----

Guide To AVI Playback In WMP
http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx

Howto Find the Audio Codec Used In An AVI
http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/11511.aspx

Howto Find the Video Codec Used In An AVI
http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/11529.aspx

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
"John Kelly" <not.released@dot.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Convert all MP3 to WAV or WMA
>
> Convert all MPeg to AVI
>
> Convert all Jpeg to BMP
>
> Video Conversion
> ----------------
>
> For Video Conversion you should also check out the Knowledge Base Section
> of my "Great Links > Knowledge Base" One of the website's in there called
> "Video Help" has the best collection of useful information I have yet come
> across on converting between the various formats together with links to
> the software needed.
>
> --
> Best Wishes.....John Kelly
> www.the-kellys.org
> www.the-kellys.co.uk
> ---
> All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
> obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

August 14, 2004 11:18:01 AM

can you help me? i get that error when trying to play an
avi too. i downloaded your file, but dont understand how
to use it. it looks like it just find the ax files and
then lets me rename them? i know my problem is with a
codec, but i don't understant how rename a file is going
to file it.

i already did your install stuff, but that doesn't help.
windows media playe says i needs something called dx50 to
play it, i didn't see anything like that covered in your
post.

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 1:45:58 PM

"Chris Lanier [MVP]" <cal2002a@hotmail.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> That is a codec error
>
> Nope, that's just "Unknown Error". In this case it does likely relate to
> codec's, but that's 0xC00D11CD does not mean codec error.

YES, with the product mentioned this IS a codec error and is well
documented in the results of a deep search of the WWW. Suggest you take a
look.

>>> I think this one is caused by old version of WinDVD
>
> Nope. Older versions of DVD playback software would only install MPEG-2
> decoders, new versions of many products install generic MPEG-4 decoders
> for DivX.

DEFINENTLY YES...WINDVD 4 and POWER DVD 4 both introduce codecs that
cause Movie Maker severe problems to the extent that Movie Maker will simply
die if you add a transition or effect...it is a well known error and
acknowledged as such by microsoft. Did you read the original posters
message????? Suggest you take a look.

>>> Option 1)
>
> I don't see a link to that anywhere on the web.

Your point is what...the link is on my website. The software is written
by me. The program is in constanat use by many hundreds of people....how to
get the program is contained in my original message...did you read the
message?????

>>> Option 2)
>
> Good process, but its not going to change most peoples issues with third
> party codec's.

That is absolutly corect, it is a very good process and as the original
message says, if option one does not work try option 2....the process in
option 2 will install certain other codecs that are unique to Movie
Maker/Media player...they are not often the problem which is why the
procedures in option 2 are offered last.

Before jumping in, it would be well to read and understand the content
of the persons message you are tring to discredit. It is a pity that the
person doing this is yet again an MVP

> Microsoft MVP - Digital Media

????

Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk

> [...]
>>
>> Convert all MP3 to WAV or WMA
>>
>> Convert all MPeg to AVI
>>
>> Convert all Jpeg to BMP
>>
>> Video Conversion
>> ----------------
>>
>> For Video Conversion you should also check out the Knowledge Base Section
>> of my "Great Links > Knowledge Base" One of the website's in there called
>> "Video Help" has the best collection of useful information I have yet
>> come across on converting between the various formats together with links
>> to the software needed.
>>
>> --
>> Best Wishes.....John Kelly
>> www.the-kellys.org
>> www.the-kellys.co.uk
>> ---
>> All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
>> obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

August 14, 2004 1:45:59 PM

> YES, with the product mentioned this IS a codec error and is well
> documented in the results of a deep search of the WWW. Suggest you take a
> look.

C00D11CD: Unknown error
Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when
another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does
not communicate the nature of the problem to Windows Media Player.

Because this generic message can be displayed in a wide variety of
circumstances, there is no single solution.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/p...

> DEFINENTLY YES...WINDVD 4 and POWER DVD 4 both introduce codecs that cause
> Movie Maker severe problems to the extent that Movie Maker will simply die
> if you add a transition or effect...it is a well known error and
> acknowledged as such by microsoft. Did you read the original posters
> message????? Suggest you take a look.

The Original Post "I GET ERROR MESSAGE COOD11CD WHEN TRYING TO VIEW MOVIES
IN AVI FORMAT ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE"

Maybe I'm missing it, but where does it say "Movie Maker"?

> Your point is what...the link is on my website. The software is written by
> me. The program is in constanat use by many hundreds of people....how to
> get the program is contained in my original message...did you read the
> message?????

Okay, I didn't read that part correct, sorry.

> That is absolutly corect, it is a very good process and as the original
> message says, if option one does not work try option 2....the process in
> option 2 will install certain other codecs that are unique to Movie
> Maker/Media player...they are not often the problem which is why the
> procedures in option 2 are offered last.

> Before jumping in, it would be well to read and understand the content of
> the persons message you are tring to discredit. It is a pity that the
> person doing this is yet again an MVP

Still kind of confused about how this all relates to Movie Maker. My point
was that your advise isn't really going to help for AVI playback. Since its
just a container, and I can bet you the codec's used to encode the video are
not MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, nor WM, your process isn't the best to take to assure
proper playback.

--
news:o pY3gsdgEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> So...
>>>
>>> Convert all MP3 to WAV or WMA
>>>
>>> Convert all MPeg to AVI
>>>
>>> Convert all Jpeg to BMP
>>>
>>> Video Conversion
>>> ----------------
>>>
>>> For Video Conversion you should also check out the Knowledge Base
>>> Section of my "Great Links > Knowledge Base" One of the website's in
>>> there called "Video Help" has the best collection of useful information
>>> I have yet come across on converting between the various formats
>>> together with links to the software needed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Wishes.....John Kelly
>>> www.the-kellys.org
>>> www.the-kellys.co.uk
>>> ---
>>> All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
>>> obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

August 14, 2004 6:36:42 PM

Hello there,

Perhaps you missed the advice to read the FAQ on my website. It contains an
interactive example on how to use the program. The point of the Rename Codec

With regards DX50, thats correct I did not make mention of that Its not
mentioned in the original posters message. But, I am not sure whether thats a
reference to DirectX 5 or maybe a DivX codec. If the later a visit to one of
the DivX web site would probably help you out there. If the former (DirectX 5)
then because you have installed DirectX 9 your problem would have been solved.

A DivX website that might be of use is
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html
--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 6:36:43 PM

I went to that website you linked to and downloaded the
divx, but know when i open wmp the audio plays to fast for
this avi. it worked fine before. also, if i load
virutaldub, it says something about illegal hacks of
legitimate drivers and it will not let me use the
program. i don't understand.

ps. i still don't understand the rename thing. if i
don't have the right thing on my pc to play it, what good
does it do to rename something that is not there?

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:17:50 PM

On 14-Aug-2004, "Sven Jon" <svenjon321@swbell.com> wrote:

> I went to that website you linked to and downloaded the
> divx, but know when i open wmp the audio plays to fast for
> this avi. it worked fine before

but in the previous message you said

>can you help me? i get that error when trying to play an
>avi too.

So I am confused over what the problem actually is. Perhaps if you can clear
that up!

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:17:51 PM

i don't know how to clear it up anymore. i'm trying to
play an avi i have. i said wmp said i needed dx50. you
said to download divx from that site. i did. i installed
it, the audio is fast and their is still no video. at
first the audio played fine and the video did not. then i
load virtualdub, a program iuse to edit anime, it said
there was illegal hacked drivers installed. it did not
say this before id did what you just told to download.

i'm not sure how else to put it. do you know what i
should do?

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 11:00:17 PM

Hello again,

If you go to this website
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_... and
download GSpot and at the same time read the information on the site on how
to use GSpot, you will then be able to determine exactly what the needs of
your avi file are. You can then download the appropriate codec which is
probably going to be the DivX codec version 5.

If that causes a new problem on your system, then clearly something else
is amiss.

Some benefit can be obtained by trying out different programs, but, to
fix your problem you really should stay with one media player, the one you
use most often, and carefully eliminate possibilities until such time as you
find the cause of your problem(s)

Moving on to what else may be at fault. In an earlier message you
referred to having done the install thing. I'm guessing you mean my
instructions on how to ensure that you have the latest versions of DirectX
etc. It is very important that those instructions are followed exactly. So,
could you check.

Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk

"Sven Jon" <svenjon321@swbell.com> wrote in message
>i don't know how to clear it up anymore. i'm trying to
> play an avi i have. i said wmp said i needed dx50. you
> said to download divx from that site. i did. i installed
> it, the audio is fast and their is still no video. at
> first the audio played fine and the video did not. then i
> load virtualdub, a program iuse to edit anime, it said
> there was illegal hacked drivers installed. it did not
> say this before id did what you just told to download.
>
> i'm not sure how else to put it. do you know what i
> should do?

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:19:02 PM

I'm having the same Code error message and have determined it is a codec file
problem.
I downloaded Gspot and annalyzed one of the picture files i had and it gave
me this mesage
That I have the codecs -

The following codecs should both capable of processing this format:

--> {AVI Draw}
--> {MJPEG Decompressor}

Nonetheless, DirectShow is apparently NOT able to play this file. (see
"DirectShow Render", below). No further information is available concerning
the apparent discrepancy

I checked in my contraol panel under video codecs, i have a great lot of
them BUT - for each one it says that the driver is missing. how do i
re-install the drivers and solve the problem so that I can once again watch
my Avi files?
!