Norton Ghost - NTFS

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 29, 2005 3:13:26 PM

Norton Ghost 7.5 boot floppies can copy NTFS source partitions to image
files on FAT32 destination partitions. FAT is the only hard disk
format recognized by the PC-DOS/MS-DOS on the floppies. There are
elaborate instructions provided by Symantec to make a boot CD, but it's
not much different; you still have to use DOS.

Does the current version of Symantec Norton Ghost support writing image
files to NTFS destination partitions? Do other products write to NTFS?

More about : norton ghost ntfs

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 30, 2005 3:13:27 AM

Ghost 9 runs entirely within windows, so I would think that it does support
NTFS. Why don't you go to http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/
and check it out?

"Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Norton Ghost 7.5 boot floppies can copy NTFS source partitions to image
> files on FAT32 destination partitions. FAT is the only hard disk
> format recognized by the PC-DOS/MS-DOS on the floppies. There are
> elaborate instructions provided by Symantec to make a boot CD, but it's
> not much different; you still have to use DOS.
>
> Does the current version of Symantec Norton Ghost support writing image
> files to NTFS destination partitions? Do other products write to NTFS?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 30, 2005 3:13:28 AM

Piers James wrote:

> Ghost 9 runs entirely within windows, so I would think that it does
> support NTFS. Why don't you go to
> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ and check it out?
>

> "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Norton Ghost 7.5 boot floppies can copy NTFS source partitions to image
>> files on FAT32 destination partitions. FAT is the only hard disk
>> format recognized by the PC-DOS/MS-DOS on the floppies. There are
>> elaborate instructions provided by Symantec to make a boot CD, but it's
>> not much different; you still have to use DOS.
>>
>> Does the current version of Symantec Norton Ghost support writing image
>> files to NTFS destination partitions? Do other products write to NTFS?

Drive Image 7 does and Live State Recovery does, so it seems unlikely that
Ghost 9, which is based on the same technology, would not.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Tom Penharston <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Norton Ghost 7.5 boot floppies can copy NTFS source partitions
> to image files on FAT32 destination partitions. FAT is the only hard
> disk format recognized by the PC-DOS/MS-DOS on the floppies.

That is just plain wrong.

> There are elaborate instructions provided by Symantec to make
> a boot CD, but it's not much different; you still have to use DOS.

But can still use NTFS source partitions because thats done by ghost.

> Does the current version of Symantec Norton Ghost support
> writing image files to NTFS destination partitions?

Yes. But its not clear if you want to be able to do it from
a bootable CD. You cant with ghost 9, you cant image a
drive from the booted CD, only restore from an image file.

> Do other products write to NTFS?

Yes, True Image will do that fine. It doesnt even use DOS at all.
January 30, 2005 8:15:23 PM

Ghost 8.0 supports writing image files directly to NTFS partitions on the
same computer.
Any Ghost version will allow storing images to a remote share (can be NTFS
partition).

"Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Norton Ghost 7.5 boot floppies can copy NTFS source partitions to image
> files on FAT32 destination partitions. FAT is the only hard disk
> format recognized by the PC-DOS/MS-DOS on the floppies. There are
> elaborate instructions provided by Symantec to make a boot CD, but it's
> not much different; you still have to use DOS.
>
> Does the current version of Symantec Norton Ghost support writing image
> files to NTFS destination partitions? Do other products write to NTFS?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 31, 2005 12:45:02 AM

In article <1107029606.311295.123170@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
thinkpersuasion@netscape.net says...

>Norton Ghost 7.5 boot floppies can copy NTFS source partitions to image
>files on FAT32 destination partitions. FAT is the only hard disk
>format recognized by the PC-DOS/MS-DOS on the floppies. There are
>elaborate instructions provided by Symantec to make a boot CD, but it's
>not much different; you still have to use DOS.
>
>Does the current version of Symantec Norton Ghost support writing image
>files to NTFS destination partitions? Do other products write to NTFS?

It is not very elaborate, you simply click on Ghost Boot Wizard and
select Standard. Or, you can boot Dos from the Ghost 2003 CD.

I think Ghost 2003 is same as 7.5?

I bought Ghost 9, but only use Ghost 2003 that came with it, because
2003 can boot from Dos floppy or CD. This boot seems better to allow
recovery after disk failure, does not need a working Windows system.

Ghost 2003 does work with NTFS disks, both as read or write, so NTFS is
simply not an issue. In fact, my disk is SATA Promise RAID NTFS, and
2003 reads it fine when booted from Dos. I write the image file to a
SATA non-RAID NTFS drive. No problem at all.

Ghost 2002 could read, but not write to NTFS, but 2003 can do both.
!