SMART data from disks: Is there any way to report temperat..

Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
AFAIKT.

Thanks

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On 30 Jan 2005 09:41:56 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
>actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
>AFAIKT.
>
>Thanks

Using Active SMART I get the temperature reported for my Maxtor discs
but not my QUANTUM disc.

Steve
http://www.easynn.com

Previously Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
> actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
> AFAIKT.

> Thanks

The problem is that this field is not standardised. Hence the software
needs a database of disks that tells it how a specific drive does
it.

I have made good experiences with the smartmontools. It can guess
if it does not find a specific disk in its DB and I found it
usually is right. You can also look into its DB (plain ASCII)
and try different things.

Arno

Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in
message news:ctirnk$o1s$1@panix5.panix.com...

> Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
> actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
> AFAIKT.

Everest does with mine. What drive are you using, some dont support
SMART temp, most commonly with all but the most recent WDs.

SpeedFan and MBM do too, but MBM isnt as easy to setup.

cjt

Rod Speed wrote:
> Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in
> message news:ctirnk$o1s$1@panix5.panix.com...
>

>>Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
>>actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
>>AFAIKT.
>

> Everest does with mine. What drive are you using, some dont support
> SMART temp, most commonly with all but the most recent WDs.
>
> SpeedFan and MBM do too, but MBM isnt as easy to setup.

I don't see where that happens in the version of MBM I have.
Can you please elaborate?

CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote

>>> Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report actual
>>> temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do, AFAIKT.

>> Everest does with mine. What drive are you using, some dont support
>> SMART temp, most commonly with all but the most recent WDs.

>> SpeedFan and MBM do too, but MBM isnt as easy to setup.

> I don't see where that happens in the version of MBM I have.
> Can you please elaborate?

You basically have to enable the reporting of the drive
temp, it isnt auto like with SpeedFan and Everest.

MBM is even worse with the motherboard sensors.

Very powerful, but not trivial to use.

On 30 Jan 2005 09:41:56 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
>actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
>AFAIKT.
>
>Thanks

Yes get SpeedFan

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Or Try Dtemp

http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

All FREE.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:13:09 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Rod Speed wrote:
>> Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in
>> message news:ctirnk$o1s$1@panix5.panix.com...
>>

>>>Is there any way to get a disk that has SMART capability to report
>>>actual temperature ? I have tried Adenix and Everest. Neither do,
>>>AFAIKT.
>>

>> Everest does with mine. What drive are you using, some dont support
>> SMART temp, most commonly with all but the most recent WDs.
>>
>> SpeedFan and MBM do too, but MBM isnt as easy to setup.
>>

>I don't see where that happens in the version of MBM I have.
>Can you please elaborate?

Don't trust MBM 5 as it kept reporting that my PSU fan had stopped.

I no longer use it at all, far to many bug with it.

<puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:13:09 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in
>>> message news:ctirnk$o1s$1@panix5.panix.com...

>>> Everest does with mine. What drive are you using, some dont support
>>> SMART temp, most commonly with all but the most recent WDs.
>>>
>>> SpeedFan and MBM do too, but MBM isnt as easy to setup.
>>>

>>I don't see where that happens in the version of MBM I have.
>>Can you please elaborate?

> Don't trust MBM 5 as it kept reporting that my PSU fan had stopped.

> I no longer use it at all, far to many bug with it.

Yeah, it currently reports my cpu temp a couple of degrees
below room temp, so obviously must be completely wrong.

Some odd interaction effect with Asus Probe too on a Asus
P4XP-X motherboard with Celeron cpu which saw it report
the cpu temp way off scale which had me rip the heatsink
off a couple of times trying to work out what was wrong,
until I realised that it only said that if Probe had been run,
even if it was no longer running when MBM was run.

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

speedfan m8