0xC00D1199: Cannot play the file

i am trying to play an .asf file in my windows media player 9 and i recieve
this message

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the
Player does not support the format you are trying to play.

what can i do to play this file

thanx
8 answers Last reply
More about 0xc00d1199 play file

    Hello There,

    Is it possible that the file IS corrupt? Can you play the file in any
    other player you have that supports that format?

    The ASF format is a Microsoft format and is relativly quite old now.....

    You could always doenload Microsoft Media 9 Encoder and run it through
    that and re-index the file (If it is not actually corrupt)

    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org
    www.the-kellys.co.uk

    "john_michael" <johnmichael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i am trying to play an .asf file in my windows media player 9 and i recieve
    > this message
    >
    > Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or
    > the
    > Player does not support the format you are trying to play.
    >
    > what can i do to play this file
    >
    > thanx

    ASF is not old, ASF is anything and everything that goes
    in a Windows Media Format file. WMV is ASF. WMA is ASF.
    Please provide correct information.

    wrote in message
    >>i am trying to play an .asf file in my windows media
    player 9 and i recieve
    >> this message
    >>
    >> Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is
    either corrupt or
    >> the
    >> Player does not support the format you are trying to
    play.

    >> what can i do to play this file
    >>
    >> thanx
    >

    >.

    Hello there,

    Thank you for your comments. You are of course incorrect as well as rude.

    The ASF format has been around for many years. Microsoft took the previously
    little used container and in January 2002 started to improve on it
    significantly, it is most often used to encapsulate MPeg video. It was in 2002
    that they started logging work done on the ASF format. ASF gave way in the end
    to the better methods found in WMV files and is no longer the preferred method
    of transporting video images over the internet. The ASF format first came into
    regular use with Windows Media Tools Version 4. As it is with all things in the
    computer industry ASF is relatively old.

    I hope this clears up any confusion you may have
    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org

    You got parts of it right, on other parts you get lost.
    As you said, ASF is a container, but MPEG video is NOT
    whats most often housed in it. Examples would be Windows
    Media VIDEO and Windows Media AUDIO. Are their of those
    MPEG? Didn't think so. Read, Learn, then speak.

    ASF is STILL IN USE. ASF *IS* WMV and WMA. Hard to
    understand for you, i'm sure. Maybe you should also read
    the next quote

    "An ASF file can contain multiple independent or dependent
    streams, including multiple audio streams for multichannel
    audio, or multiple bit rate video streams suitable for
    transmission over different bandwidths. The streams can be
    in any compressed or uncompressed format; however, the
    best compression is achieved with the Microsoft Windows
    Media Audio and Video 9 Series codecs."

    ^ - Note this is from the 9 Series Format SDK, hardly
    old. Get your facts right nest time.

    Another fun quote "The ASF structure is a versatile
    container format for arbitrary streaming media. For more
    information about the structure of ASF files, see Overview
    of the ASF Format."

    Overview of the ASF Format
    url=/library/en-us/wmform/htm/overviewoftheasfformat.asp

    More fun, fact quotes.

    "You can use whatever codecs you like when creating ASF
    files, but only the Windows Media codecs are directly
    supported by the objects of this SDK. " - 9 Series SDK

    "The Advanced Systems Format (ASF) is the file format used
    by Windows Media. Audio and/or Video content compressed
    with a wide variety of codecs can be stored in an ASF file
    and played back with the Windows Media Player (provided
    the appropriate codecs are installed), streamed with
    Windows Media Services or optionally packaged with Windows
    Media Rights Manager. " - Advanced Systems Format (ASF)
    Specification (Last updated: June 2004) Ya, That's Old let
    me tell you.

    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=31334 = Link to ASF
    Specification Doc, I suggest you read and then apologize
    to me and the others who you have told wrong information
    too.

    Hello again

    I did not say that ASF was no longer used, I said it was relatively old. as is
    your rather bad behavior. I do hope those in power soon censor your attitude as
    it is now quite tiresome... At least one other visitor is now unhappy with your
    remarks and has told you so.

    Please do not start any more disruptive and non-productive conversations, on
    the other hand, do please continue, the more you conduct your self in this
    manner the sooner Microsoft will do something about it.

    As far as I am concerned this is the End of Topic (EOT) you will not be replied
    too any further, but if using your MVP real name you make further incorrect
    remarks they will be pointed out to you.
    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org
    All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
    obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

    Excuse me John, is that supposed to be a hit at me because I corrected you
    on what C00D11CD is? If so, I do not very much appreciate it.

    --
    Chris Lanier
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    "John Kelly" <not.released@dot.com> wrote in message
    > Hello again
    >
    > I did not say that ASF was no longer used, I said it was relatively old.
    > as is
    > your rather bad behavior. I do hope those in power soon censor your
    > attitude as
    > it is now quite tiresome... At least one other visitor is now unhappy with
    > your
    > remarks and has told you so.
    >
    > Please do not start any more disruptive and non-productive conversations,
    > on
    > the other hand, do please continue, the more you conduct your self in this
    > manner the sooner Microsoft will do something about it.
    >
    > As far as I am concerned this is the End of Topic (EOT) you will not be
    > replied
    > too any further, but if using your MVP real name you make further
    > incorrect
    > remarks they will be pointed out to you.
    > --
    > Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    > www.the-kellys.org
    > www.the-kellys.co.uk
    > ---
    > All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
    > obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    No it was not.
    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org
    All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
    obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
  8. ^ ...Women...^

Video Microsoft Media Player Windows XP