Serial ATA adapters

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I have a question on this subject of SATA.

I have basically an scsi setup. there don't a appear to be a scsi-sata
adapter, but I have seen an IDE-SATA adapter and an IDE-scsi adapter.

would mating the two adapters work in a scsi setup?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Dilbert Firestorm <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*i-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
> I have a question on this subject of SATA.

> I have basically an scsi setup. there don't a appear to be a scsi-sata
> adapter, but I have seen an IDE-SATA adapter and an IDE-scsi adapter.

> would mating the two adapters work in a scsi setup?

Since an IDE-SCSI-adapter will be a bridge, it might work.
However there are numerous compatibility problems with
ATA -> SATA adapters, so better get an (S)ATA controller
and add that to the system.

Note also that the IDE->SCSI adapter will fake some of the
SCSI capabilities and the resulting SCSI device will be limited
(likely no command queuing, etc.)

Arno

"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in message news:ctk3a2$fjs$1@news.datasync.com
> I have a question on this subject of SATA.
>
> I have basically an scsi setup.

> there don't a appear to be a scsi-sata adapter,

No? What gave you that idea?

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsalvd160.asp

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

>"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in message news:ctk3a2$fjs$1@news.datasync.com
>

>>I have a question on this subject of SATA.
>>
>>I have basically an scsi setup.
>>

>>there don't a appear to be a scsi-sata adapter,
>>

>No? What gave you that idea?
>
>http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsalvd160.asp
>

>>but I have seen an IDE-SATA adapter and an IDE-scsi adapter.
>>
>>would mating the two adapters work in a scsi setup?

thanx for the tip. I did some searching and didn't see any on the www.
I guess I didn't search well enough.

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:366qeqF4u90qbU1@individual.net...
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Dilbert Firestorm <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*i-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
> > I have a question on this subject of SATA.
>
> > I have basically an scsi setup. there don't a appear to be a scsi-sata
> > adapter, but I have seen an IDE-SATA adapter and an IDE-scsi adapter.
>
> > would mating the two adapters work in a scsi setup?
>
> Since an IDE-SCSI-adapter will be a bridge, it might work.
> However there are numerous compatibility problems with
> ATA -> SATA adapters, so better get an (S)ATA controller
> and add that to the system.
>
> Note also that the IDE->SCSI adapter will fake

Why 'fake it' when it can just report it as a feature not supported.

> some of the SCSI capabilities and the resulting SCSI
> device will be limited (likely no command queuing, etc.)

Now Arnie is an expert on bridges too. What next.