Crash in wmvcore.dll after installing Windows XP SP2

After installing Windows XP SP2 (RTM 2180)
I experience several crashes in various media player programs like windows
mediaplayer, winamp, mediaportal
all crashes occur in the wmvcore.dll.

When going back to SP1 the mysterious crashes are solved.
Also other ppl are starting to report the same problems with SP2
Is this a know bug in SP2? and ifso is their a fix?

Erwin Beckers
5 answers Last reply
More about crash wmvcore installing windows

    Hello there,

    It is possible that because of SP2 a "Call" to a procedure has changed or more
    likly enforced. If so, when that call is made to an out of date codec or DLL
    there would be a error. So, perhaps reinstall DirectX (current version is 9.0c)
    and the pack of codecs for media player 9 might do the trick.
    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org

    wmvcore.dll is a part of the Windows Media Player install,
    not DirectX and not the codecs. Get your information
    corret before telling people what they should be doing.

    If you look at the release notes of SP2 then you'll see that it
    contains lots of fixes for the media player and/or its components
    The release notes cleary state that bugs have been solved in wmvcore.dll
    However as said before this new version of this wmvcore.dll gives problems
    in
    several applications including microsoft windows player itself!

    Also before posting this bug here, i had it checked by other ppl who
    experience the same problems after installing XP SP2
    when going back to SP1 the problems are solved

    Erwin

    "Fix" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > wmvcore.dll is a part of the Windows Media Player install,
    > not DirectX and not the codecs. Get your information
    > corret before telling people what they should be doing.

    Hello there,

    You are wasting your time posting messages in reply to "fix" she clearly has an
    agenda of her own which has nothing to do with helping people.

    It is nice to see though that your research supports my early thoughts.
    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org
    All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
    obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

    Dear Frodo & Co,

    We have with great interest followed your development of
    MediaPortal and have acknowledged your high quality
    programming abilities. We are in the progress of
    developing a couple of "media features" and would like
    you to give us an offer on our request.

    We are a company located in Stockholm, Sweden and would
    like to start a correspondance with our technical staff
    and yourself or your appointed contact to discuss our
    request.

    The "media features" request is some standalone full
    screen programs:

    TV software/ module (tv listings are supported by
    ourselves)

    Please do not hesitate to contact me in any matter by
    phone or e-mail.

    Best Regards

    Nicolas Persson
    Wellton Way AB