Trouble installing Lite-On SOHC-5235K Combo drive - please..

tanya

Hi everyone,

I need a few experts. I've been experiencing a problem setting up my
5235K drive. I've been seeking help in alt.comps.periph.cdr. I've
been sent here for help.

I was told to let you know the following (it's a quote):

Post here that the Lite-on SOHC-523K is connected to VIA Bus Master
IDE Controller on winxp, and you get Multi-Word DMA Mode 2, not UDMA
Mode 2, using 40-conductor cable. Also mentioned that your BIOS is
set to Auto, but there is no DMA setting.

I can tell you that I was probably using an 80-pin connector and
switched it today with a 40-pin connector with the same results. I
can also provide you with any other information you need.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Tanya

"Tanya" <Tanyaroberts@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need a few experts. I've been experiencing a problem setting up my
> 5235K drive. I've been seeking help in alt.comps.periph.cdr. I've
> been sent here for help.
>
> I was told to let you know the following (it's a quote):
>
> Post here that the Lite-on SOHC-523K is connected to VIA Bus Master
> IDE Controller on winxp, and you get Multi-Word DMA Mode 2, not UDMA
> Mode 2, using 40-conductor cable. Also mentioned that your BIOS is
> set to Auto, but there is no DMA setting.
>
> I can tell you that I was probably using an 80-pin connector and
> switched it today with a 40-pin connector with the same results.
> I can also provide you with any other information you need.

You can get a result like that by having the 80 wire cable on backwards.
The blue connector should be in the motherboard connector.

tanya

I believe I had the 80-pin connector installed correctly. Any other
ideas, checks, etc. I'm getting close to requesting an RMA.

Tanya wrote:
> I believe I had the 80-pin connector installed correctly.

Of course you had, he obviously hasn't got a clue.
UDMA mode 2 works fine even with 40-conductor cables, as everyone knows.
Only modes higher than UDMA mode 2 require the 80-conductor cables.

> Any other ideas, checks, etc.

OS settings. If they are as expected maybe your bios isn't setting
up the Liteon correctly for the OS-driver to pick up on. If not, force
the OS to re-detect the settings that it will use on future (re)starts.
Also set your Bios to None, not Auto, for the channel ID that it is on.
For Win9x/ME you can also try the Liteon DOS driver to correct a
possible bios problem. That worked for me for a similar problem.

Btw, MW-DMA mode 2 should do fine for most applications.
Only DVDs filled to a point where speeds of over 11xDVD are reached will
be limited in speed so unless you copy DVDs alot, maybe just let it slide?

> I'm getting close to requesting an RMA.

Well, you can always hope.

> I believe I had the 80-pin connector installed correctly.

I'd double check that because that is what causes
the system to decide that DMA isnt possible.

> Any other ideas, checks, etc.

Make sure the jumper is set right on the drive too.

> I'm getting close to requesting an RMA.

I dont believe its a faulty drive.

Rod Speed wrote:
> Tanya <Tanyaroberts@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:71ttv0t57giv1vfegc2t8vf9bbo666iueh@4ax.com...
>
> > I believe I had the 80-pin connector installed correctly.
>
> I'd double check that because that is what causes
> the system to decide that DMA isnt possible.

Utterly clueless.

> > Any other ideas, checks, etc.
>
> Make sure the jumper is set right on the drive too.

And now you are just fishing.

> > I'm getting close to requesting an RMA.
>
> I dont believe its a faulty drive.

And not have a clue either.

> > > You can get a result like that by having the 80 wire cable on backwards.
> > > The blue connector should be in the motherboard connector.

tanya

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:40:24 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>Tanya wrote:
>> I believe I had the 80-pin connector installed correctly.
>
>Of course you had, he obviously hasn't got a clue.
>UDMA mode 2 works fine even with 40-conductor cables, as everyone knows.
>Only modes higher than UDMA mode 2 require the 80-conductor cables.

That's good to know. My c drive is set to UDMA Mode 4 (d drive is
UDMA Mode 2) so it obviously exists in XP and both are tiny 8 & 9 GB
drives..

>> Any other ideas, checks, etc.
>
>OS settings. If they are as expected maybe your bios isn't setting
>up the Liteon correctly for the OS-driver to pick up on. If not, force
>the OS to re-detect the settings that it will use on future (re)starts.
>Also set your Bios to None, not Auto, for the channel ID that it is on.
>For Win9x/ME you can also try the Liteon DOS driver to correct a
>possible bios problem. That worked for me for a similar problem.

I'll try the setting of "none" in bios and see what happens. I'm
running XP, but did load the DOS drivers just in case. :) One very
odd thing that happens when XP finds the new hardware is that it first
states that it's found the SOHC drive and then says it's found a
CD-ROM. I think that is perculiar but it just may be the way things
are.

Also, I tried to update my bios (AMI) for my board but the correct
updates per the mfg. state I have the wrong chipset. Question into
them too. :) But that's the scary part. What if my bios limits me to
what drive I can use?

>Btw, MW-DMA mode 2 should do fine for most applications.
>Only DVDs filled to a point where speeds of over 11xDVD are reached will
>be limited in speed so unless you copy DVDs alot, maybe just let it slide?

I could live with it but my drive is dead. It won't read pre-recorded
disks or recognize a blank disc.

>> I'm getting close to requesting an RMA.

Already have a RMA. I'm really beggining to suspect that I just have
a bad drive and grow mor frustrated by the hour.