Anyone use Seagate Disk Wizard for Cloning?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 31, 2005 11:46:29 PM

I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to a new
Seagate 120GB drive. Running XP Pro with SP2. Both drive recognized in
BIOS. Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition that has 4
other logical drives that use up the balance of the space. All partitions
formatted NTFS.

I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8. It seemed to work, but
when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the primary,
XP would not boot. System acted as though it could not see boot sector.
When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted to
Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.

So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
(BootItNG). It failed, saying it could not find the target location (the
Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.) I then tried Maxtor MaxBlast
3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message. FInally, I tried
Seagate's Disk Wizard. Well, I almost tried it. The default is to copy
everything to a single partition. Don't want that! I then used the option
where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it was
ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it would copy
each old partition to its respective new partition.

Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success? Did it copy each
partition's contents in turn to the new drive? Why can't this be simple?!!
I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me nuts.
I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and FixMBR
off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True Image wants
to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy up the
added 40GB.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 31, 2005 11:46:30 PM

I always use Norton Ghost. Its an amazing program that has always
worked for me on any disk, any partition, any OS. Try it!

wamaruna wrote:
> I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to
a new
> Seagate 120GB drive. Running XP Pro with SP2. Both drive recognized
in
> BIOS. Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition
that has 4
> other logical drives that use up the balance of the space. All
partitions
> formatted NTFS.
>
> I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8. It seemed to work,
but
> when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the
primary,
> XP would not boot. System acted as though it could not see boot
sector.
> When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted
> Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.
>
> So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
> (BootItNG). It failed, saying it could not find the target location
(the
> Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.) I then tried Maxtor
MaxBlast
> 3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message. FInally, I
tried
> Seagate's Disk Wizard. Well, I almost tried it. The default is to
copy
> everything to a single partition. Don't want that! I then used the
option
> where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it
was
> ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it
would copy
> each old partition to its respective new partition.
>
> Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success? Did it copy each
> partition's contents in turn to the new drive? Why can't this be
simple?!!
> I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me
nuts.
> I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and
FixMBR
> off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True
Image wants
> to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy
up the
> added 40GB.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 1, 2005 6:40:11 PM

salsasam85 <stech85@hotpop.com> wrote in message

> I always use Norton Ghost. Its an amazing program that has
> always worked for me on any disk, any partition, any OS. Try it!

And it costs peanuts as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003 off ebay.

Gotta be Pro, it isnt included in the standard SystemWorks 2003.

> wamaruna wrote:
>> I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to
> a new
>> Seagate 120GB drive. Running XP Pro with SP2. Both drive recognized
> in
>> BIOS. Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition
> that has 4
>> other logical drives that use up the balance of the space. All
> partitions
>> formatted NTFS.
>>
>> I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8. It seemed to work,
> but
>> when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the
> primary,
>> XP would not boot. System acted as though it could not see boot
> sector.
>> When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted
>> Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.
>>
>> So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
>> (BootItNG). It failed, saying it could not find the target location
> (the
>> Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.) I then tried Maxtor
> MaxBlast
>> 3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message. FInally, I
> tried
>> Seagate's Disk Wizard. Well, I almost tried it. The default is to
> copy
>> everything to a single partition. Don't want that! I then used the
> option
>> where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it
> was
>> ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it
> would copy
>> each old partition to its respective new partition.
>>
>> Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success? Did it copy each
>> partition's contents in turn to the new drive? Why can't this be
> simple?!!
>> I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me
> nuts.
>> I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and
> FixMBR
>> off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True
> Image wants
>> to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy
> up the
>> added 40GB.

a b G Storage
February 1, 2005 8:19:29 PM

In article <VbBLd.79881$Tf5.9405@lakeread03>, wamaruna
<wamaruna@cox.net> writes

> I then tried Maxtor MaxBlast
>3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.

I am not sure I understand what you did with Maxblast 3.

You did create a floppy bootable disk by running Maxblast3.exe?

You did boot from the floppy diskette?

What was the error message under windows and under what circumstances.

I have used Maxblast to do what you are trying to do.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
May 19, 2009 10:24:51 AM

I'd say it the best free piece of software I have used for a long while,
for data backing up and swapping drives about on your system, Cloning, etc.

If you have Seagate and Maxtor Drives , then The free download from seagate/maxtor Diskwizard and MaxBlast5 is superb for backing up and cloning hard drives , I found no troubles at all, Just clone the drive ( as long as your cloning it to a larger drive theres no worries ) - Its a direct clone and there' no problemns with opertaing systems. The File 123MB in size

I tried Nero backit up and made a bootable image, and it failed 3-4 times
to allow a bootable data to start the OEM agian and just humng in space,

If your wanting to clone , said drive it to a smaller drive as long as the data doesnt exceed the new drives capacity ( you can alter the partition sizes and jiggle it to fit normally ) . But I would say Clone to larger or similar drive is safest

Also with the Free Seagate Disk utilies from Acronis is the option to make image backups, You could make back up images of all your partitions , Choose the manual options for image back up and you get a setting option to save the image files as dvd size file 4.7gb. ( thus if you back up the partions to xxx.tib ( image ) ) then burn those files ( extension.tib ) to a DVD your double covered.

They restore as is ( was ) , if you have XP Vista, Or if your Win 98 then you have to use a bootable version on Cd-r ( option to create this is on the software also )

As Sad with Freebie from Diskwizard is a the option to make a bootable disk, Definatley do this, As it boots for Win98 ( but the program wont load for Win 98 ) and it boots for Xp and Vista, depending on mother boards - seems theres 70% compatablity for the bootable option, on a burned CD-r . As I have tried it on 7 PC's so far with Maxtor and Seagate drives..

But some options are not avaible. if you want it all See Acronis web site
Or kep Amazon or Ebay or Google it and find Acronic True Image versions 7 to 11 will do the job

any Q's apodemus13@aol.com

May 19, 2009 10:25:20 AM

[...]

a c 342 G Storage
May 20, 2009 3:51:21 PM

These are new posts to an OP 4½ years old. But I've used Disk Wizard with no trouble several times. What I see missing in the OP is that the clone probably was made WITHOUT setting it to make the new (target) copy a BOOTABLE drive. Without that you can't boot from it! It is an option that must be set in Disk Wizard - it won't automatically be done that way just because the Source disk was bootable.
September 25, 2009 12:51:48 AM

Does anyone know if you can use Seagage Disc Wizard with NON seagate drives? I don't know who made the HD in my old Compaq, but I have a new WD drive I want to copy everything to, and I have an old (2005) copy of Seagate utility toolkit that I got when I purchased a 200 gig drive, but have never used.

Thanks,
Spectraman2002

a c 342 G Storage
September 25, 2009 1:22:06 PM

spectraman2002 said:
Does anyone know if you can use Seagage Disc Wizard with NON seagate drives? I don't know who made the HD in my old Compaq, but I have a new WD drive I want to copy everything to, and I have an old (2005) copy of Seagate utility toolkit that I got when I purchased a 200 gig drive, but have never used.

Thanks,
Spectraman2002

Seagate's Disk Wizard will only make a clone to a Seagate drive. BUT you can get virtually the same thing for free from your new drive's make, WD. Look on their website for Acronis True Image WD Edition, download it and install on your old HDD, then run from there to make your clone, etc. Make sure to read the manual, too - this software is very good with lots of useful features you should understand and use.
September 25, 2009 2:23:16 PM

Paperdoc said:
Seagate's Disk Wizard will only make a clone to a Seagate drive. BUT you can get virtually the same thing for free from your new drive's make, WD. Look on their website for Acronis True Image WD Edition, download it and install on your old HDD, then run from there to make your clone, etc. Make sure to read the manual, too - this software is very good with lots of useful features you should understand and use.

Great!! Thanks for that! I'll check it out.

Last night after I posted to this forum, I kept I ran across a Seagate tech info post that shows that they have a work-around to use non Seagate drives! - check it out at:

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=Di...

However I think I will actually use the WD version, since it officially supports the new drive I have.

Thanks again,
Spectraman2002
August 20, 2012 3:18:19 AM

Stay away from diskwizard or Acronis, they are terrible. They will do a copy okay. Then they will add their own stuff to the new hard drive. You will now have 2 acronis files in device manager that you cannot disable or uninstall or the computer will never bootup again. It also adds a diskwizard exe file in taskmanager. You don't need any of these, but you can't delete them or you have no computer. And the only technical support you will get is if you pay for it but even then, they have no idea why those files are there or how to get rid of them.
March 18, 2013 3:47:31 AM

Seagate works for me been using it to backup hard drives for years . To uninstall it use Revo uninstaller its the only one that works !!
Then you can upgrade from version 11 to 13 without the error that the uninstaller is corrupt. maybe this might solve any issues.
!