dvd problems. Help, please!!

Hi! Ok, here's the deal. When I put a DVD in my dvd rom drive, it makes this
clicking noise like 3 or 4 times and then nothing happens. I have played
dvds in my computer before and it worked perfectly. I have tried everything.
I have uninstalled and then reinstalled my dvd software, I have checked to
see if I have a decoder and the system profile says that I have one and it is
found. I have done windows updates on my computer, I have upgraded my
windows media player and direct x. I have done all of this and nothing
helps. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do or if anyone knows
what the problem is. When i go to my computer and look in the drives, when a
dvd is in my computer it does not show that in the drive file. It seems to me
like maybe the drive isn't reading the dvd or something, but I don't know.
Anyway, I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks so
much!

Is the click coming from the drive itself? If so it would point to a
physical problem and perhaps a faulty drive. Have you tried cleaning it?
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
"bucky1022" <bucky1022@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! Ok, here's the deal. When I put a DVD in my dvd rom drive, it makes
this
> clicking noise like 3 or 4 times and then nothing happens. I have played
> dvds in my computer before and it worked perfectly. I have tried
everything.
> I have uninstalled and then reinstalled my dvd software, I have checked to
> see if I have a decoder and the system profile says that I have one and it
is
> found. I have done windows updates on my computer, I have upgraded my
> windows media player and direct x. I have done all of this and nothing
> helps. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do or if anyone
knows
> what the problem is. When i go to my computer and look in the drives, when
> dvd is in my computer it does not show that in the drive file. It seems to
me
> like maybe the drive isn't reading the dvd or something, but I don't know.
> Anyway, I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks
so
> much!

Ok, thank you so much for replying. But, how exactly do i go about cleaning
my drive? Thanks!

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Is the click coming from the drive itself? If so it would point to a
> physical problem and perhaps a faulty drive. Have you tried cleaning it?
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
> "bucky1022" <bucky1022@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi! Ok, here's the deal. When I put a DVD in my dvd rom drive, it makes
> this
> > clicking noise like 3 or 4 times and then nothing happens. I have played
> > dvds in my computer before and it worked perfectly. I have tried
> everything.
> > I have uninstalled and then reinstalled my dvd software, I have checked to
> > see if I have a decoder and the system profile says that I have one and it
> is
> > found. I have done windows updates on my computer, I have upgraded my
> > windows media player and direct x. I have done all of this and nothing
> > helps. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do or if anyone
> knows
> > what the problem is. When i go to my computer and look in the drives, when
> > dvd is in my computer it does not show that in the drive file. It seems to
> me
> > like maybe the drive isn't reading the dvd or something, but I don't know.
> > Anyway, I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks
> so
> > much!

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

Is it the bad disk ? Do other disks work ?

--
Rehan
www.rehanx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

> Ok, thank you so much for replying. But, how exactly do i go about
> cleaning
> my drive? Thanks!
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Is the click coming from the drive itself? If so it would point to a
>> physical problem and perhaps a faulty drive. Have you tried cleaning it?
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>> "bucky1022" <bucky1022@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi! Ok, here's the deal. When I put a DVD in my dvd rom drive, it
>> > makes
>> this
>> > clicking noise like 3 or 4 times and then nothing happens. I have
>> > played
>> > dvds in my computer before and it worked perfectly. I have tried
>> everything.
>> > I have uninstalled and then reinstalled my dvd software, I have checked
>> > see if I have a decoder and the system profile says that I have one and
>> > it
>> is
>> > found. I have done windows updates on my computer, I have upgraded my
>> > windows media player and direct x. I have done all of this and nothing
>> > helps. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do or if anyone
>> knows
>> > what the problem is. When i go to my computer and look in the drives,
>> > when
>> > dvd is in my computer it does not show that in the drive file. It seems
>> me
>> > like maybe the drive isn't reading the dvd or something, but I don't
>> > know.
>> > Anyway, I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give.
>> > Thanks
>> so
>> > much!

No, i don't think so. I have tried 4 different dvds and none of them will
play, however, audio cds will work

You can buy a dvd cleaning disc.
How old is the drive?
How much use has it had?
Where does the clicking come from?
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com
"bucky1022" <bucky1022@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, thank you so much for replying. But, how exactly do i go about
cleaning
> my drive? Thanks!
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Is the click coming from the drive itself? If so it would point to a
> > physical problem and perhaps a faulty drive. Have you tried cleaning it?
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> > "bucky1022" <bucky1022@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi! Ok, here's the deal. When I put a DVD in my dvd rom drive, it
makes
> > this
> > > clicking noise like 3 or 4 times and then nothing happens. I have
played
> > > dvds in my computer before and it worked perfectly. I have tried
> > everything.
> > > I have uninstalled and then reinstalled my dvd software, I have
checked to
> > > see if I have a decoder and the system profile says that I have one
and it
> > is
> > > found. I have done windows updates on my computer, I have upgraded my
> > > windows media player and direct x. I have done all of this and
nothing
> > > helps. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do or if anyone
> > knows
> > > what the problem is. When i go to my computer and look in the drives,
when
> > > dvd is in my computer it does not show that in the drive file. It
seems to
> > me
> > > like maybe the drive isn't reading the dvd or something, but I don't
know.
> > > Anyway, I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give.
Thanks
> > so
> > > much!

I am experiancing the same problem for a week now.
DVD Drive will read and burn cds but won't play dvd's.
Nothing wrong with the disk and i ve cleaned it with the
cleaning disk as well.But clicking noise only appears when
i try to play any DVD.
i ve re-insatlled the VGA driver made changes to color
depth and resolutions.Direct x seems to be working fine and
i m not recieving any conflicts reports.

Can anyone suggest something productive?