Nero burning DVD problems

So I've got a DVD burner, Nero v.6 is all updated, I've contacted their
support center for this, but the guy only ever answers half of my questions,
and the rest of the time tells me to read the Nero tutorials (duh!).
-my files are downloaded off the internet, and then burned using NeroVision
2. Most of the time, no problem. But sometimes the copy won't play on either
of my DVD players (I got a japanese one and a PS2), but will play on my
computer.
eg. the big files must be split, so I did this to two movies (25th Hour and
Bourne Identity). The first disk of 25th plays problem, but the second wont
play. The Bourne Identity wont play at all (only on comp.). Both files are
avi. The only difference between the files that I can see is that the data
rate is slightly different. Other than that, video compression is DivX, I
have the codecs. No problems there.

Anybody know what the problem is? I don't want to waste another DVD!
5 answers Last reply
More about nero burning problems

    avi don't play on home units. Get a RW to play.

    "the package" <the package@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So I've got a DVD burner, Nero v.6 is all updated, I've contacted their
    > support center for this, but the guy only ever answers half of my
    questions,
    > and the rest of the time tells me to read the Nero tutorials (duh!).
    > -my files are downloaded off the internet, and then burned using
    NeroVision
    > 2. Most of the time, no problem. But sometimes the copy won't play on
    either
    > of my DVD players (I got a japanese one and a PS2), but will play on my
    > computer.
    > eg. the big files must be split, so I did this to two movies (25th Hour
    and
    > Bourne Identity). The first disk of 25th plays problem, but the second
    wont
    > play. The Bourne Identity wont play at all (only on comp.). Both files
    are
    > avi. The only difference between the files that I can see is that the
    data
    > rate is slightly different. Other than that, video compression is DivX, I
    > have the codecs. No problems there.
    >
    > Anybody know what the problem is? I don't want to waste another DVD!

    Then why do have about 7 other avi files that will play on my home unit no
    problem?

    "Nick Burns" wrote:

    > avi don't play on home units. Get a RW to play.
    >
    > "the package" <the package@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So I've got a DVD burner, Nero v.6 is all updated, I've contacted their
    > > support center for this, but the guy only ever answers half of my
    > questions,
    > > and the rest of the time tells me to read the Nero tutorials (duh!).
    > > -my files are downloaded off the internet, and then burned using
    > NeroVision
    > > 2. Most of the time, no problem. But sometimes the copy won't play on
    > either
    > > of my DVD players (I got a japanese one and a PS2), but will play on my
    > > computer.
    > > eg. the big files must be split, so I did this to two movies (25th Hour
    > and
    > > Bourne Identity). The first disk of 25th plays problem, but the second
    > wont
    > > play. The Bourne Identity wont play at all (only on comp.). Both files
    > are
    > > avi. The only difference between the files that I can see is that the
    > data
    > > rate is slightly different. Other than that, video compression is DivX, I
    > > have the codecs. No problems there.
    > >
    > > Anybody know what the problem is? I don't want to waste another DVD!
    > >

    > the package

    I can not remember (as I have not used Ner Vision Express for a long
    time)... but how do you specify what bitrate to use to encode the AVI to
    MPEG2 when making the DVD? See if you can find that setting; then manully
    set values to see which work for your player. Some players cannot handle
    very high bitrates or some other unusual bitrate ('variable' for example).
    The constant bitrate of 3 to 8 Mbps for DVD should always work.

    Use a RW disk for experimenting with different bitrates. Also see the
    www.videohelp.com for compatibility of your player with different media.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

    "the package" <the package@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So I've got a DVD burner, Nero v.6 is all updated, I've contacted their
    > support center for this, but the guy only ever answers half of my
    > questions,
    > and the rest of the time tells me to read the Nero tutorials (duh!).
    > -my files are downloaded off the internet, and then burned using
    > NeroVision
    > 2. Most of the time, no problem. But sometimes the copy won't play on
    > either
    > of my DVD players (I got a japanese one and a PS2), but will play on my
    > computer.
    > eg. the big files must be split, so I did this to two movies (25th Hour
    > and
    > Bourne Identity). The first disk of 25th plays problem, but the second
    > wont
    > play. The Bourne Identity wont play at all (only on comp.). Both files
    > are
    > avi. The only difference between the files that I can see is that the
    > data
    > rate is slightly different. Other than that, video compression is DivX, I
    > have the codecs. No problems there.
    >
    > Anybody know what the problem is? I don't want to waste another DVD!

    I use Nero 6.3.xxxx, and AVI's do not play on Home DVD systems(They must be
    RE-ENCODED)... Nero or NVE or NVE2, will re-encode the AVI to DVD or VCD or
    SVCD so that you can play them on your home DVD player... (I do first cut
    the movie(s) on -RW to make sure it plays correctly on my DVD player... some
    times the FRAME Rate is set so that the Player will not send.... You might be
    cutting in PAL not NTSC (many players will not play both) some players will
    not play SVCD but will play VCD & DVD.. (Ref: Bourne Identity was (over the
    internet) sent as VCD and (S)VCD from DVD rip). w/o the proper CODECs
    installed you can not RE-ENCODE properly.

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > I can not remember (as I have not used Ner Vision Express for a long
    > time)... but how do you specify what bitrate to use to encode the AVI to
    > MPEG2 when making the DVD? See if you can find that setting; then manully
    > set values to see which work for your player. Some players cannot handle
    > very high bitrates or some other unusual bitrate ('variable' for example).
    > The constant bitrate of 3 to 8 Mbps for DVD should always work.
    >
    > Use a RW disk for experimenting with different bitrates. Also see the
    > www.videohelp.com for compatibility of your player with different media.
    >
    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
    >

    > "the package" <the package@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So I've got a DVD burner, Nero v.6 is all updated, I've contacted their
    > > support center for this, but the guy only ever answers half of my
    > > questions,
    > > and the rest of the time tells me to read the Nero tutorials (duh!).
    > > -my files are downloaded off the internet, and then burned using
    > > NeroVision
    > > 2. Most of the time, no problem. But sometimes the copy won't play on
    > > either
    > > of my DVD players (I got a japanese one and a PS2), but will play on my
    > > computer.
    > > eg. the big files must be split, so I did this to two movies (25th Hour
    > > and
    > > Bourne Identity). The first disk of 25th plays problem, but the second
    > > wont
    > > play. The Bourne Identity wont play at all (only on comp.). Both files
    > > are
    > > avi. The only difference between the files that I can see is that the
    > > data
    > > rate is slightly different. Other than that, video compression is DivX, I
    > > have the codecs. No problems there.
    > >
    > > Anybody know what the problem is? I don't want to waste another DVD!

    Rehan, your advice helped me out alot. ..but I've got this problem with
    all of the IMAX files I've downloaded, in that I can't get any of them to
    burn. They start fine, then Nero locks up the recording at 9m46s. Then it
    stops responding when I abort the process. The other files burn no problem.
    WTF? I've monkeyed around with the settings, but I don't really know what the
    problem is.
    Steve

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > I can not remember (as I have not used Ner Vision Express for a long
    > time)... but how do you specify what bitrate to use to encode the AVI to
    > MPEG2 when making the DVD? See if you can find that setting; then manully
    > set values to see which work for your player. Some players cannot handle
    > very high bitrates or some other unusual bitrate ('variable' for example).
    > The constant bitrate of 3 to 8 Mbps for DVD should always work.
    >
    > Use a RW disk for experimenting with different bitrates. Also see the
    > www.videohelp.com for compatibility of your player with different media.
    >
    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
    >

    > "the package" <the package@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So I've got a DVD burner, Nero v.6 is all updated, I've contacted their
    > > support center for this, but the guy only ever answers half of my
    > > questions,
    > > and the rest of the time tells me to read the Nero tutorials (duh!).
    > > -my files are downloaded off the internet, and then burned using
    > > NeroVision
    > > 2. Most of the time, no problem. But sometimes the copy won't play on
    > > either
    > > of my DVD players (I got a japanese one and a PS2), but will play on my
    > > computer.
    > > eg. the big files must be split, so I did this to two movies (25th Hour
    > > and
    > > Bourne Identity). The first disk of 25th plays problem, but the second
    > > wont
    > > play. The Bourne Identity wont play at all (only on comp.). Both files
    > > are
    > > avi. The only difference between the files that I can see is that the
    > > data
    > > rate is slightly different. Other than that, video compression is DivX, I
    > > have the codecs. No problems there.
    > >
    > > Anybody know what the problem is? I don't want to waste another DVD!

Video Nero Windows XP