Sign in with
Your question

Apache Load Balancing

Last response: in Windows 7
December 20, 2010 11:35:17 PM

Hey everyone,

I run an Apache Webserver behind a router on my LAN, and it works fine. I have recently set up a Windows Server 2003 computer partly as an experiment to help the other server manage traffic (it's not completely necessary, since it's not overloaded yet, but I do need to figure out how to get this working). Both computers are on the LAN, and I want the Windows Server 2k3 computer to act as a load balancer and apache server at the same time. I am not entirely sure if this is possible on a single apache installation, but I see no reason why it couldn't just route the traffic to itself...

Anyways, I haven't been able to set it up, because all of the tutorials I was able to find were for Linux. I am using Apache mod_proxy_balancer and mod_proxy, but the apache documentation has left me quite confused as to exactly how to set it up, because it's not really a tutorial, it's just a technical documentation. Can anyone explain exactly what I must do to get this set up? Also, I have a friend who is interested in helping me host the site (again, mostly as an experiment for setting up networks, not for practicality at this point). However, he is not on my LAN. Do I need to set up some sort of VPN to forward requests to him through the load balancer?

Again, I'm really quite new at this, so pardon any of these questions if they seem ridiculous like "what the heck is he thinking..". Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

More about : apache load balancing

!