Creating a bootable partition on a new harddrive

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

Ken wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
> creating 2 partitions.
>

> Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
> Can I even do that?
>

> TIA.
>

> Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions, you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a
time. In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do
first.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Bob H wrote:
> Ken wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
> > creating 2 partitions.
> >
> > Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
> > Can I even do that?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
> partitions,

> you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.

on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

> In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
> once or whilst using any OS.

Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

> Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.

Rotflol.

Andy

On 1 Feb 2005 17:17:49 -0800, "Ken" <willtravel0@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
>creating 2 partitions.
>

>Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
>Can I even do that?

You have to create a primary partition on the new drive, and make the
partition active. Then set your BIOS to boot from the second drive.

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> Bob H wrote:
>
>>Ken wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
>>>creating 2 partitions.
>>>
>>>Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
>>>Can I even do that?
>>>
>>>TIA.
>>>
>>>Ken
>>>

>>You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
>>partitions,
>

>>you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.
>

> on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).
>

>>In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
>>once or whilst using any OS.
>

> Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.
>

>>Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.
>

> Rotflol.

Well apart from telling me I am clueless, what is you intelligent answer?
Have you done any MS hardware courses?

Clueless

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> Bob H wrote:
>
>>Ken wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
>>>creating 2 partitions.
>>>
>>>Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
>>>Can I even do that?
>>>
>>>TIA.
>>>
>>>Ken
>>>

>>You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
>>partitions,
>

>>you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.
>

> on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).
>

>>In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
>>once or whilst using any OS.
>

> Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.
>

>>Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.
>

> Rotflol.

Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message news:42025d5b$0$19159$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com
> Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> > Bob H wrote:

> > > You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
> > > partitions,
> >
> > > you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.
> >
> > on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).
> >
> > > In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
> > > once or whilst using any OS.
> >
> > Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.
> >
> > > Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.
> >
> > Rotflol.
> >

> Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?

What, you own the rights to be the only one?

Oh, and get a clue about setting up your newsclient properly too.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> Folkert Rienstra wrote:
>> Bob H wrote:

>>>You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
>>>partitions,
>>

>>>you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.
>>

>> on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).
>>

>>>In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
>>>once or whilst using any OS.
>>

>> Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.
>>

>>>Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.
>>

>> Rotflol.
>>

> Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?

Only about 250 according to groups.google |-)

Rod Speed wrote:
> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
>
>>Folkert Rienstra wrote:

>>>on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

>>>Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

>>>Rotflol.
>>>

>>Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?
>

> Only about 250 according to groups.google |-)

Yes, he does come up quite a lot in various discussions I see.
It would help if he gave a helpful reply rather than just sit and call
anyone else who tries 'Clueless'
Troll, I say.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

> Rod Speed wrote:
>> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message

>>>Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?
>>

>> Only about 250 according to groups.google |-)
> Yes, he does come up quite a lot in various discussions I see.
> It would help if he gave a helpful reply rather than just sit and call anyone
> else who tries 'Clueless'
> Troll, I say.

Looks rather more like another of those pathetic
creatures no longer kept in locked wards in my opinion.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:36ffo9F525dojU1@individual.net
> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message news:4202816d$0$16585$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> > Rod Speed wrote:

> > > Only about 250 according to groups.google |-)

Whoa, so many braindead? Where is society going to.

> > Yes, he does come up quite a lot in various discussions I see.

> > It would help if he gave a helpful reply

Why? Yours wasn't helpful, but mine has to be?

> > rather than just sit and call

> > anyone else

Only those that are obviously braindead.

> > who tries

But you lot don't try.
All you lot ever does is parrot some halfthruths, things you
only half understand, with conviction, as if you were an expert.

> > 'Clueless'.

Exactly, you don't have a clue. Obviously you never tried
what you parrot because if you had you would know better.

> > Troll, I say.

Constantly having it wrong, not checking what you say, that's
what makes you the troll, not me.

> Looks rather more like another of those pathetic
> creatures no longer kept in locked wards in my opinion.

Speaking from personal experience, Rodney?

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message news:42025d5b$0$19159$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com
>
>>Folkert Rienstra wrote:

>>>on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

>>>Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

>>>Rotflol.
>>>

>>Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?
>

> What, you own the rights to be the only one?
>
> Oh, and get a clue about setting up your newsclient properly too.

Oh, I am sorry I didn't bow to your massive knowledge about all things
to do with computers, your brain must be about as big as a Dalek brain.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:36ffo9F525dojU1@individual.net

> Whoa, so many braindead? Where is society going to.
>

>>>Yes, he does come up quite a lot in various discussions I see.
>

>>>It would help if he gave a helpful reply
>

> Why? Yours wasn't helpful, but mine has to be?
>

>>>rather than just sit and call
>

>>>anyone else
>

> Only those that are obviously braindead.
>

>>>who tries
>

> But you lot don't try.
> All you lot ever does is parrot some halfthruths, things you
> only half understand, with conviction, as if you were an expert.
>

>>>'Clueless'.
>

> Exactly, you don't have a clue. Obviously you never tried
> what you parrot because if you had you would know better.
>

>>>Troll, I say.
>

> Constantly having it wrong, not checking what you say, that's
> what makes you the troll, not me.
>

>>Looks rather more like another of those pathetic
>>creatures no longer kept in locked wards in my opinion.
>

> Speaking from personal experience, Rodney?

I have never clamed to be an expert, but you seem to be doing just that!
I only know enought to build my own 3 computers and network them
together with 3 different OS's

--
Bob H
Leeds UK