Hard drive data just dissapeared after Mobo installation

Hi. i have just aquired a new motherboard and CPU and put them in my
machine today. i have two hard drives, one 80gig one which had my
windows installation on before i installed the new motherboard, and a
120gig one that i was planning to install the new installation of
windows to, then i was planning to bring the data over from the 80gig
drive to the new windows installtion.

BUT...

once the motherboard and CPU were installed, and windows was installed
again, i put the old drive in and when i tried to access the drive,
windows informs me the hard drive is not formatted....er....i damn
well beg to differ! it still has the old version of windows on it!

So i tried booting to the old HDD again to see if it wud work, and it
goes into boot type choice (i.e. safe mode, normal mode) and no matter
what mode i want to boot into, once my choice is made, the pc resets
and we're back to booting again, only to reset again etc etc.

i am guessing this is all related to the new motherboard installation,
so if i were to put my old mobo and CPU in, wud the old drive boot so
i cud back everything up onto CDs? or has my data gone forever?
Please say that it hasnt all gone cos i had soooo much i NEED on it.

All help appreciated!

p.s. all versions of windows i have mentioned are XP SP2, old CPU was
Athlon XP2000+ and new one is Athlon XP2400+

cheers

==========
gremlin dude
1 answer Last reply
More about hard drive data dissapeared mobo installation

    "Gremlin Dude" <gremlin_dude@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5d8f90ea.0502020901.198dec8e@posting.google.com
    > Hi. i have just aquired a new motherboard and CPU and put them in my
    > machine today. i have two hard drives, one 80gig one which had my
    > windows installation on before i installed the new motherboard, and a
    > 120gig one that i was planning to install the new installation of
    > windows to, then i was planning to bring the data over from the 80gig
    > drive to the new windows installtion.
    >
    > BUT...
    >
    > once the motherboard and CPU were installed, and windows was installed
    > again, i put the old drive in and when i tried to access the drive,
    > windows informs me the hard drive is not formatted....er....i damn
    > well beg to differ! it still has the old version of windows on it!
    >
    > So i tried booting to the old HDD again to see if it wud work, and it
    > goes into boot type choice (i.e. safe mode, normal mode) and no matter
    > what mode i want to boot into, once my choice is made, the pc resets
    > and we're back to booting again, only to reset again etc etc.
    >
    > i am guessing this is all related to the new motherboard installation,
    > so if i were to put my old mobo and CPU in, wud the old drive boot so
    > i cud back everything up onto CDs? or has my data gone forever?
    > Please say that it hasnt all gone cos i had soooo much i NEED on it.
    >
    > All help appreciated!

    See "Re: Hard Drive Enclosure Not Seeing Drive Letter"

    > p.s. all versions of windows i have mentioned are XP SP2, old CPU was
    > Athlon XP2000+ and new one is Athlon XP2400+
    >
    > cheers

    > gremlin dude

Hard Drives Motherboards Storage