ide/scsi bridge question

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I was checking out prices for Addonics & Acard bridge adapters. I
noticed that both have a scsi subsets for IDE devices

question on the ide/scsi bridge.
If I wanted to hook up an dvd drive to a scsi setup, an ide-lvd scsi160
bridge can't be used. an atapi version would be have to be used.

is this correct or does it matter?

cjt

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
> I was checking out prices for Addonics & Acard bridge adapters. I
> noticed that both have a scsi subsets for IDE devices
>
> question on the ide/scsi bridge.
> If I wanted to hook up an dvd drive to a scsi setup, an ide-lvd scsi160
> bridge can't be used. an atapi version would be have to be used.
>
> is this correct or does it matter?

I've used the Acard on hard disks. I believe they make a similar
device for CD/DVD drives. AFAIK, the main difference is physical
configuration (i.e. position of the connectors), although there
might also be some firmware differences.