DVD-R vs. DVD+R

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 6, 2005 2:35:02 AM

Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of CD
writers, and which is the standard? Also, can an ordinary DVD reader read
both of them, or neither?
Tks.
~Q

What is said here is for amusement
purposes only. Any opinions expressed
are promised only to waste space on
your hard disk. ~Q **********
*******************

More about : dvd dvd

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 6, 2005 2:35:03 AM

Q wrote:

> Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of CD
> writers, and which is the standard? Also, can an ordinary DVD reader read
> both of them, or neither?

Yes, no, and maybe, in no particular order.

In practical terms the difference between them is that DVD+ writers need
DVD+ media and DVD- writers need DVD- media. In terms of compatibility for
the most part any device that can read one can read the other, but there
are some that can read one and not the other--if you have a particular
device that you are targetting you need to test and find out if there is a
problem with either.

As for there being a "standard" the "standard" is multiformat writers that
can handle both + and - media.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Well, let me ask my question a little more precisely. Which format can be
read by my run of the mill CD/DVD readers? I am doing backups for a small
business, and the data is too much for CD's. So, I'm looking into DVDs, but
want them to be read by any of the older machines.

> Q wrote:
>
> > Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of CD
> > writers, and which is the standard? Also, can an ordinary DVD reader
read
> > both of them, or neither?
>
> Yes, no, and maybe, in no particular order.
>
> In practical terms the difference between them is that DVD+ writers need
> DVD+ media and DVD- writers need DVD- media. In terms of compatibility
for
> the most part any device that can read one can read the other, but there
> are some that can read one and not the other--if you have a particular
> device that you are targetting you need to test and find out if there is a
> problem with either.
>
> As for there being a "standard" the "standard" is multiformat writers that
> can handle both + and - media.
>
> > Tks.
> > ~Q
> >

> > --
> > --
> > What is said here is for amusement
> > purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> > are promised only to waste space on
> > your hard disk. ~Q **********
> > *******************
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
a b G Storage
February 6, 2005 5:34:43 AM

Q wrote:

> Well, let me ask my question a little more precisely. Which format can be
> read by my run of the mill CD/DVD readers?

Like I said before, both. Nearly all drives that can read DVD+ can read
DVD-. Nearly all drives that can read DVD- can read DVD+. There are a few
that can read DVD- but not DVD+. There are a few that can read DVD+ but
not DVD-. The percentage that can do + but not - is about the same as the
percentage that can do - but not +. Neither format is guaranteed to be
readable in all drives, and neither has a clear advantage in compatibility.

> I am doing backups for a small
> business, and the data is too much for CD's. So, I'm looking into DVDs,
> but want them to be read by any of the older machines.

Then test both and see if the "older machines" have a problem with either of
them.

> ~Q

> What is said here is for amusement
> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> are promised only to waste space on
> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> *******************
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Q wrote:
>>
>> > Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of
>> > CD writers, and which is the standard? Also, can an ordinary DVD reader
> read
>> > both of them, or neither?
>>
>> Yes, no, and maybe, in no particular order.
>>
>> In practical terms the difference between them is that DVD+ writers need
>> DVD+ media and DVD- writers need DVD- media. In terms of compatibility
> for
>> the most part any device that can read one can read the other, but there
>> are some that can read one and not the other--if you have a particular
>> device that you are targetting you need to test and find out if there is
>> a problem with either.
>>
>> As for there being a "standard" the "standard" is multiformat writers
>> that can handle both + and - media.
>>
>> > Tks.
>> > ~Q
>> >

>> > --
>> > --
>> > What is said here is for amusement
>> > purposes only. Any opinions expressed
>> > are promised only to waste space on
>> > your hard disk. ~Q **********
>> > *******************
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 6, 2005 1:57:17 PM

"Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> Well, let me ask my question a little more precisely. Which format can be
> read by my run of the mill CD/DVD readers?

Supporters of both formats claim theirs is the best and most compatible with
ordinary players.

I use DVD+R because thats all my writer supports. However in your situation
I would be tempted to buy a dual standard writer and try both +/-R media. Do
some tests with these old drives and see what works for you and which is
faster.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 6, 2005 2:07:41 PM

In its infancy, DVD+ media and DVD- media could only be read by DVD readers
for each particular media. There are still some exclusive + and - writers
out there.

The only way to know for sure if a particular DVD reader can read
either/or/both +/- DVD media is to burn both + and - and check. And you
sound like you're in the perfect position for testing.

If you're asking a hidden additional question about writing CDs, and reading
same, there is no + or - media for that.
IE: "older machines".

"Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> Well, let me ask my question a little more precisely. Which format can be
> read by my run of the mill CD/DVD readers? I am doing backups for a small
> business, and the data is too much for CD's. So, I'm looking into DVDs,
but
> want them to be read by any of the older machines.
> ~Q

> What is said here is for amusement
> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> are promised only to waste space on
> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> *******************
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Q wrote:
> >
> > > Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of
CD
> > > writers, and which is the standard? Also, can an ordinary DVD reader
> read
> > > both of them, or neither?
> >
> > Yes, no, and maybe, in no particular order.
> >
> > In practical terms the difference between them is that DVD+ writers need
> > DVD+ media and DVD- writers need DVD- media. In terms of compatibility
> for
> > the most part any device that can read one can read the other, but there
> > are some that can read one and not the other--if you have a particular
> > device that you are targetting you need to test and find out if there is
> > problem with either.
> >
> > As for there being a "standard" the "standard" is multiformat writers
that
> > can handle both + and - media.
> >
> > > Tks.
> > > ~Q
> > >

> > > --
> > > --
> > > What is said here is for amusement
> > > purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> > > are promised only to waste space on
> > > your hard disk. ~Q **********
> > > *******************
> >
> > --
> > --John
> > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 6, 2005 2:07:42 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:

> In its infancy, DVD+ media and DVD- media could only be read by DVD
> readers
> for each particular media.

Would you be kind enough to identify a reader that was sold as supporting
DVD+ and not DVD-?

DVD readers initially were created to read commercially pressed DVDs, not
DVDs burned in a DVD recording drive. The "-" in DVD- was just a "dash"
with no significance except as punctuation until DVD+ came along.

Both DVD+ and DVD- were designed so that the burned disks were readable in
as many of those old readers that were designed in complete ignorance of
either the "+" or "-" standard as possible. Turns out that the "-" guys
managed to come pretty close to the standard so most existing drives could
read "-", but some couldn't. The "+" guys tried to do better than the "-"
guys and they managed to get their disks to work in some of those in which
the "-" media weren't readable, but at the same time some of the drives
that would read "-" it turned out wouldn't read "+". But I've never heard
of a _reader_ that was made specifically to support "+" at the exclusion of
"-".

> There are still some exclusive + and - writers
> out there.

Who's still making them?

> The only way to know for sure if a particular DVD reader can read
> either/or/both +/- DVD media is to burn both + and - and check. And you
> sound like you're in the perfect position for testing.

Agreed.

> If you're asking a hidden additional question about writing CDs, and
> reading same, there is no + or - media for that.
> IE: "older machines".
>
> "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
>> Well, let me ask my question a little more precisely. Which format can be
>> read by my run of the mill CD/DVD readers? I am doing backups for a small
>> business, and the data is too much for CD's. So, I'm looking into DVDs,
> but
>> want them to be read by any of the older machines.
>> ~Q
>>
>> --
>> --
>> What is said here is for amusement
>> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
>> are promised only to waste space on
>> your hard disk. ~Q **********
>> *******************
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> CD
>> read
>> >
>> > Yes, no, and maybe, in no particular order.
>> >
>> > In practical terms the difference between them is that DVD+ writers
>> > need
>> > DVD+ media and DVD- writers need DVD- media. In terms of compatibility
>> for
>> > the most part any device that can read one can read the other, but
>> > there are some that can read one and not the other--if you have a
>> > particular device that you are targetting you need to test and find out
>> > if there is
>> > problem with either.
>> >
>> > As for there being a "standard" the "standard" is multiformat writers
> that
>> > can handle both + and - media.

>> > --
>> > --John
>> > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
February 6, 2005 10:34:38 PM

Thanks to you all.
I'll probably buy a dual capability drive and TEST to see what the other
machines can read.

> Lil' Dave wrote:
>
> > In its infancy, DVD+ media and DVD- media could only be read by DVD
> > readers
> > for each particular media.
>
> Would you be kind enough to identify a reader that was sold as supporting
> DVD+ and not DVD-?
>
> DVD readers initially were created to read commercially pressed DVDs, not
> DVDs burned in a DVD recording drive. The "-" in DVD- was just a "dash"
> with no significance except as punctuation until DVD+ came along.
>
> Both DVD+ and DVD- were designed so that the burned disks were readable in
> as many of those old readers that were designed in complete ignorance of
> either the "+" or "-" standard as possible. Turns out that the "-" guys
> managed to come pretty close to the standard so most existing drives could
> read "-", but some couldn't. The "+" guys tried to do better than the "-"
> guys and they managed to get their disks to work in some of those in which
> the "-" media weren't readable, but at the same time some of the drives
> that would read "-" it turned out wouldn't read "+". But I've never heard
> of a _reader_ that was made specifically to support "+" at the exclusion
of
> "-".
>
> > There are still some exclusive + and - writers
> > out there.
>
> Who's still making them?
>
> > The only way to know for sure if a particular DVD reader can read
> > either/or/both +/- DVD media is to burn both + and - and check. And you
> > sound like you're in the perfect position for testing.
>
> Agreed.
>

> > If you're asking a hidden additional question about writing CDs, and
> > reading same, there is no + or - media for that.
> > IE: "older machines".
> >
> > "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> >> Well, let me ask my question a little more precisely. Which format can
be
> >> read by my run of the mill CD/DVD readers? I am doing backups for a
small
> >> business, and the data is too much for CD's. So, I'm looking into DVDs,
> > but
> >> want them to be read by any of the older machines.
> >> ~Q
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> What is said here is for amusement
> >> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> >> are promised only to waste space on
> >> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> >> *******************
> >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> > CD
> >> read

> >> for

> > that

> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 11:13:07 AM

"Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to you all.
> I'll probably buy a dual capability drive and TEST to see what the other
> machines can read.

A dual format drive is indeed your best bet, but for informational purposes:

DVD-R, in regard to video will achieve greater compatibility with set-top
DVD players. As far as readers go, it shouldn't make that much of a
difference. I have used both for data, and have experienced no problems, but
I prefer DVD-R.

Hark

> What is said here is for amusement
> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> are promised only to waste space on
> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> *******************
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Lil' Dave wrote:
>>
>> > In its infancy, DVD+ media and DVD- media could only be read by DVD
>> > readers
>> > for each particular media.
>>
>> Would you be kind enough to identify a reader that was sold as supporting
>> DVD+ and not DVD-?
>>
>> DVD readers initially were created to read commercially pressed DVDs, not
>> DVDs burned in a DVD recording drive. The "-" in DVD- was just a "dash"
>> with no significance except as punctuation until DVD+ came along.
>>
>> Both DVD+ and DVD- were designed so that the burned disks were readable
>> in
>> as many of those old readers that were designed in complete ignorance of
>> either the "+" or "-" standard as possible. Turns out that the "-" guys
>> managed to come pretty close to the standard so most existing drives
>> could
>> read "-", but some couldn't. The "+" guys tried to do better than the
>> "-"
>> guys and they managed to get their disks to work in some of those in
>> which
>> the "-" media weren't readable, but at the same time some of the drives
>> that would read "-" it turned out wouldn't read "+". But I've never
>> heard
>> of a _reader_ that was made specifically to support "+" at the exclusion
> of
>> "-".
>>
>> > There are still some exclusive + and - writers
>> > out there.
>>
>> Who's still making them?
>>
>> > The only way to know for sure if a particular DVD reader can read
>> > either/or/both +/- DVD media is to burn both + and - and check. And
>> > you
>> > sound like you're in the perfect position for testing.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>

>> > If you're asking a hidden additional question about writing CDs, and
>> > reading same, there is no + or - media for that.
>> > IE: "older machines".
>> >
>> > "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> be
> small
>> > but

> of
>> > CD
> reader

> compatibility
> out

>> > that

>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 12:46:45 PM

Harkhof wrote:

> "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks to you all.
>> I'll probably buy a dual capability drive and TEST to see what the other
>> machines can read.
>
> A dual format drive is indeed your best bet, but for informational
> purposes:
>
> DVD-R, in regard to video will achieve greater compatibility with set-top
> DVD players.

Near as I can tell, neither achieves "greater compatibility with set top
players". Instead they achieve compatibility with _different_ set top
players. Both sides can produce statistics that "prove" that their side is
"more compatible".

If you've seen more players that will play - but not + than will play + but
not - that's probably an artifact of small sample size.

If there's a particular set top player that one needs to use, the right
thing to do is test both--if it likes both then quit worrying about it and
if it likes one or the other then the decision is made.

> As far as readers go, it shouldn't make that much of a
> difference. I have used both for data, and have experienced no problems,
> but I prefer DVD-R.
>
> Hark
>

>> What is said here is for amusement
>> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
>> are promised only to waste space on
>> your hard disk. ~Q **********
>> *******************
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Would you be kind enough to identify a reader that was sold as
>>> supporting DVD+ and not DVD-?
>>>
>>> DVD readers initially were created to read commercially pressed DVDs,
>>> not
>>> DVDs burned in a DVD recording drive. The "-" in DVD- was just a "dash"
>>> with no significance except as punctuation until DVD+ came along.
>>>
>>> Both DVD+ and DVD- were designed so that the burned disks were readable
>>> in
>>> as many of those old readers that were designed in complete ignorance of
>>> either the "+" or "-" standard as possible. Turns out that the "-" guys
>>> managed to come pretty close to the standard so most existing drives
>>> could
>>> read "-", but some couldn't. The "+" guys tried to do better than the
>>> "-"
>>> guys and they managed to get their disks to work in some of those in
>>> which
>>> the "-" media weren't readable, but at the same time some of the drives
>>> that would read "-" it turned out wouldn't read "+". But I've never
>>> heard
>>> of a _reader_ that was made specifically to support "+" at the exclusion
>> of
>>> "-".

>>> Who's still making them?

>>> Agreed.

>> be
>> small

>> of
>> reader

>> compatibility
>> out

>>> --
>>> --John
>>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
February 10, 2005 8:45:53 PM

> Harkhof wrote:
>

> > "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks to you all.
> >> I'll probably buy a dual capability drive and TEST to see what the
other
> >> machines can read.
> >
> > A dual format drive is indeed your best bet, but for informational
> > purposes:
> >
> > DVD-R, in regard to video will achieve greater compatibility with
set-top
> > DVD players.
>
> Near as I can tell, neither achieves "greater compatibility with set top
> players". Instead they achieve compatibility with _different_ set top
> players. Both sides can produce statistics that "prove" that their side
is
> "more compatible".
>
> If you've seen more players that will play - but not + than will play +
but
> not - that's probably an artifact of small sample size.
>
> If there's a particular set top player that one needs to use, the right
> thing to do is test both--if it likes both then quit worrying about it and
> if it likes one or the other then the decision is made.
>
> > As far as readers go, it shouldn't make that much of a
> > difference. I have used both for data, and have experienced no problems,
> > but I prefer DVD-R.
> >
> > Hark
> >

> >> What is said here is for amusement
> >> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> >> are promised only to waste space on
> >> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> >> *******************
> >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> >> of

> >> be
> >> small

> >> of
> >> reader

> >> compatibility
> >> out

> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

This is complicated, but I think I get it now. Tks.
~Q
!