external hd is invisible

Hello All --

I just got a Fantom 80 gb external hd w/ firewire connection. I'm
running XP w/ Svc Pack 2 on an HP ze5300 series laptop. I plug the hd
in and turn it on but it remains invisible in both "system tray" and
"My Computer". Documentation of both the mfgr and Microsoft both say it
should work out of the box, but it doesn't. Anyone know what might be
going on?

Thx,

Tferro

tferro wrote:
> Hello All --
>
> I just got a Fantom 80 gb external hd w/ firewire connection. I'm
> running XP w/ Svc Pack 2 on an HP ze5300 series laptop. I plug the hd
> in and turn it on but it remains invisible in both "system tray" and
> "My Computer". Documentation of both the mfgr and Microsoft both say it
> should work out of the box, but it doesn't. Anyone know what might be
> going on?
>
> Thx,
>
> Tferro

Have you gone to Disk management to partition and format the external
drive ?

That is what everyone else has to do.