Help moving data and boot sector to diffferent hard drive

Existing set up: Intel desktop running XP Pro SP1, with two hard
drives, primary drive with boot sector, operating system, etc., and
secondary drive for data storage, both formated as NTFS.

I want to remove the pimary drive (to install in a different
computer); turn my current secondary drive into the primary drive;
and install a new empty drive as a new secondary drive. The current
secondary drive contains data that I don't want to loose.

Using MaxBlast3 (the Maxtor program that came with a new drive), I
copied all the files from my current primary drive onto my current
secondary drive. Then I moved the secondary drive to the primary
position and tried to boot, but I get a "Cannot find boot sector"
message. The MaxBlast3 program will show the MBR partition table for
the drive, which in the "Bootable" column says "FALSE."

Apparently I failed to properly copy the boot information/sector onto
the original secondary drive. The MaxBlast3 software will allow me
to create a new sector on the drive, but I am afraid that I will
loose data if I do, so I haven't tried that yet. Even if I did to
that successfully, how would I get the boot information into the new
sector?

Any ideas out there? Thanks!!
7 answers Last reply
More about help moving data boot sector diffferent hard drive

    Thanks for your quick reply. To answer your questions, the drives are
    EIDE. All the jumpers are set to "cable select," and yes, both drives
    are connected to a single cable, with the problem drive connected to
    the farthest end plug on the ribbon cable. To be more precise than
    in my previous post, the error message when I try to boot to the new
    drive is "No active partition." In fact the drive was formated for a
    single NTSF partition and worked fine as a secondary storage drive. I
    can get into Setup, but it will not load Windows, even though I copied
    all of the files (including Windows) from an older drive to this new
    one. The error message suggests that I need to create an "active
    partition" that will make the computer boot and load the operating
    system. Is that right? If so, how do I do that??

    In article <4207dab5$1_3@alt.athenanews.com>, Ross Meador <Ross@RMbcal-
    dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >Existing set up: Intel desktop running XP Pro SP1, with two hard
    >drives, primary drive with boot sector, operating system, etc., and
    >secondary drive for data storage, both formated as NTFS.
    >
    >I want to remove the pimary drive (to install in a different
    >computer); turn my current secondary drive into the primary drive;
    >and install a new empty drive as a new secondary drive. The current
    >secondary drive contains data that I don't want to loose.
    >
    >Using MaxBlast3 (the Maxtor program that came with a new drive), I
    >copied all the files from my current primary drive onto my current
    >secondary drive. Then I moved the secondary drive to the primary
    >position and tried to boot, but I get a "Cannot find boot sector"
    >message. The MaxBlast3 program will show the MBR partition table for
    >the drive, which in the "Bootable" column says "FALSE."
    >
    >Apparently I failed to properly copy the boot information/sector onto
    >the original secondary drive. The MaxBlast3 software will allow me
    >to create a new sector on the drive, but I am afraid that I will
    >loose data if I do, so I haven't tried that yet. Even if I did to
    >that successfully, how would I get the boot information into the new
    >sector?
    >
    >Any ideas out there? Thanks!!

    This sounds like the new disk has not been recognised as the master disk
    on the primary port.

    Did you check and change the jumpers on the backs of the drives?

    Are these EIDE drives or SCSI drives?

    They are most likely to be EIDE.

    Were both drives attached to the same ribbon? If they were, there are
    two ways that they can 'know' that one is master and the other is slave.
    The first (and commonest) is by the position of a jumper setting on the
    back of the drive. The second is known as cable select, whereby the
    master is the drive that is furthest from the motherboard on the ribbon
    and the slave is closest to the motherboard.

    Inspect the back of your drives. Make sure that the jumper settings on
    the back of your new master are set to the same as the old master. If
    you are lucky, somewhere on the drives you will find a description of
    the master/slave or cable select settings. Connect your new master to
    the end of the ribbon cable.

    By the way with respect to EIDE drives, primary and secondary are
    normally used to describe the EIDE ports on the mother board. You will
    normally boot from the active partition on the master disk connected to
    the primary EIDE port.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    In article <42084b20$1_1@alt.athenanews.com>, Ross Meador <Ross@RMbcal-
    dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >Thanks for your quick reply. To answer your questions, the drives are
    >EIDE. All the jumpers are set to "cable select," and yes, both drives
    >are connected to a single cable, with the problem drive connected to
    >the farthest end plug on the ribbon cable. To be more precise than
    >in my previous post, the error message when I try to boot to the new
    >drive is "No active partition." In fact the drive was formated for a
    >single NTSF partition and worked fine as a secondary storage drive. I
    >can get into Setup, but it will not load Windows, even though I copied
    >all of the files (including Windows) from an older drive to this new
    >one. The error message suggests that I need to create an "active
    >partition" that will make the computer boot and load the operating
    >system. Is that right? If so, how do I do that??

    A number of points. I am not sure that your method will get you to
    where you want to be.

    You do need an active partition, whether you can get that depends upon
    how the old slave drive was partitioned. If you had used Maxblast to
    clone your old master onto your old slave, it should have created an
    active primary partition on your slave drive. However you would have
    lost your data on your old slave drive, so I am pretty certain that is
    not the way you used Maxblast. A DOS routine, on a bootable floppy,
    called FDISK will allow you to make active a primary partition. If your
    drive was partitioned as an extended DOS partition only then you cannot
    make the partition active.

    Copying all the system files is not sufficient, the address of NTLDR has
    to be found in the Master Boot Record. If you use Maxblast to clone the
    old drive you will achieve this, however you will loose your data on the
    slave. In DOS based operating systems (Windows 9x) a DOS routine called
    SYS does this, however I am not aware of an equivalent for NT based
    systems.

    As I see it there are two ways for you to go. Before you can go
    anywhere you need to back up your data files. You can back them up onto
    your old master drive (if you have the space) or onto some other media,
    you will need to re-partition your old slave drive, which is a
    destructive process (for data).

    I am assuming that your old slave drive is being correctly identified by
    your BIOS in its new master position.

    1) If you have the original software disks (or manufacturers
    restore disks) for your operating system the preferred method would be
    to re-instal your operating system and software. Windows XP install
    allows you to partition and create a new file system and manufacturers
    restore disks do the same.

    2) If your slave drive is larger than or the same size as your
    original master drive then you can use Maxblast to clone your the master
    to the slave. This will also re-partition your drive and make it
    bootable. By the way you can download the latest version of Maxblast
    from the Maxtor web site. It is free and you can use it providing one
    of the drives is a Maxtor drive.

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    Absolutely clueless. Everything you said is wrong.

    He could boot to recovery console and use fixboot, but there are probably other
    problems. Start over.

    "Nicholas D Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > A number of points. I am not sure that your method will get you to
    > where you want to be.
    >
    > You do need an active partition, whether you can get that depends upon
    > how the old slave drive was partitioned. If you had used Maxblast to
    > clone your old master onto your old slave, it should have created an
    > active primary partition on your slave drive. However you would have
    > lost your data on your old slave drive, so I am pretty certain that is
    > not the way you used Maxblast. A DOS routine, on a bootable floppy,
    > called FDISK will allow you to make active a primary partition. If your
    > drive was partitioned as an extended DOS partition only then you cannot
    > make the partition active.
    >
    > Copying all the system files is not sufficient, the address of NTLDR has
    > to be found in the Master Boot Record. If you use Maxblast to clone the
    > old drive you will achieve this, however you will loose your data on the
    > slave. In DOS based operating systems (Windows 9x) a DOS routine called
    > SYS does this, however I am not aware of an equivalent for NT based
    > systems.
    >
    > As I see it there are two ways for you to go. Before you can go
    > anywhere you need to back up your data files. You can back them up onto
    > your old master drive (if you have the space) or onto some other media,
    > you will need to re-partition your old slave drive, which is a
    > destructive process (for data).
    >
    > I am assuming that your old slave drive is being correctly identified by
    > your BIOS in its new master position.
    >
    > 1) If you have the original software disks (or manufacturers
    > restore disks) for your operating system the preferred method would be
    > to re-instal your operating system and software. Windows XP install
    > allows you to partition and create a new file system and manufacturers
    > restore disks do the same.
    >
    > 2) If your slave drive is larger than or the same size as your
    > original master drive then you can use Maxblast to clone your the master
    > to the slave. This will also re-partition your drive and make it
    > bootable. By the way you can download the latest version of Maxblast
    > from the Maxtor web site. It is free and you can use it providing one
    > of the drives is a Maxtor drive.

    Thanks for your input, Eric, but I am not clear on what you are
    suggesting or which parts of the previous post you believe are wrong.
    Can you clarify?

    Ross,

    Please explain when you say copy the data. Did you do the 'boot drive
    install' as explained on page 20 of the manual?

    Irwin

    In article <420a6f91$1_5@alt.athenanews.com>, Ross Meador <Ross@RMbcal-
    dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >Thanks for your input, Eric, but I am not clear on what you are
    >suggesting or which parts of the previous post you believe are wrong.
    > Can you clarify?

    Its up to Eric to explain how everything is wrong, it is a rather broad
    statement.

    He is suggesting that you use the Recovery Console. This may solve your
    problem although I doubt it, on the other hand it may make your
    partitions inaccessible. So you must back up your data before you
    attempt this.

    With your new disk as the Master on the primary IDE port.

    You can get into the Recovery Console by inserting the Windows XP setup
    disc (not a recovery disk) and booting from the disc. The first option
    you should be given is either to setup windows or repair an installation
    of windows by pressing 'R'. Press R.

    You will then enter a DOS like presentation. You may be presented with
    a list of Windows installations and asked which installation you wish to
    repair (this will be good sign). If you are enter the number against
    the Windows you wish to repair (it is probably a list of length 1). You
    will then be asked to enter the administrator password. If there is no
    administrator password, just press enter.

    Before you do anything else, it may be worth keying MAP to see if your
    drive is visible.

    You should then be faced with a DOS like command line. Key 'FIXBOOT c:'
    (assuming that c is you boot disk), obviously no quotes. Press enter.

    Key 'EXIT' and press ENTER to reboot and remove you Windows setup disk.
    If this works then you will be able to boot from your new disk.

    If this does not work then you will need to re-install the operating
    system, all your software and the data that you have backed up. This is
    still my preferred option, unless Eric has any other advice (FIXMBR?).

    Good luck.

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"