Hardware requirements for HL server on Linux

Hello,
I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4 GHz
Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).
On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL, postfix,
courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural selection
players.
What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?

Thx,

Florian
6 answers Last reply
More about hardware requirements server linux

    Florian Lindner wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4
    GHz
    > Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).

    100 Mbit?
    Are you sure

    What is the up- and download speed on your internet connection?
    You probably have 100Mbit on your LAN (local network)

    > On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL,
    postfix,
    > courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural
    selection
    > players.
    > What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?

    More memory
    Other than that depends a little on the load on the database etc

    rgds

    Florian Lindner wrote:
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >
    > > 100 Mbit?
    > > Are you sure
    >
    > Yes.

    Cool

    Prizes from an ISP in Denmark
    51200 kb/s 144.000 kr.
    102400 kb/s 210.000 kr.

    the fee has to be paid four times a year
    Probably quite cheap compared to other ISPs as this is an education net

    How much does it cost you or are you in a nice position where you can
    take advantage of this type of bandwidth?

    Just curios, if you can't/won't tell it's fine with me :-)

    rgds

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:

    > Florian Lindner wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4
    > GHz
    >> Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).
    >
    > 100 Mbit?
    > Are you sure

    Yes.

    > What is the up- and download speed on your internet connection?
    > You probably have 100Mbit on your LAN (local network)

    I had once a download (from the Internet) with 11 MByte/s ;-)

    >> On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL,
    > postfix,
    >> courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural
    > selection
    >> players.
    >> What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?
    >>
    > More memory
    > Other than that depends a little on the load on the database etc

    Thanks,

    Florian

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:

    > Florian Lindner wrote:
    >> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >>
    >> > 100 Mbit?
    >> > Are you sure
    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>
    > Cool
    >
    > Prizes from an ISP in Denmark
    > 51200 kb/s 144.000 kr.
    > 102400 kb/s 210.000 kr.
    >
    > the fee has to be paid four times a year
    > Probably quite cheap compared to other ISPs as this is an education net
    >
    > How much does it cost you or are you in a nice position where you can
    > take advantage of this type of bandwidth?
    >
    > Just curios, if you can't/won't tell it's fine with me :-)

    It's a German company offering dedicated servers with root access for rent.
    It's 39 Eur for 300 GB Traffic per month. I share this price with about 10
    people hosting web sites and some small servers there. Obviously the
    machine is too small for hlds with 34 players.

    Florian

    * Florian Lindner wrote:
    > Hello, I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux
    > box (2,4 GHz Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection). On
    > the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL, postfix,
    > courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural
    > selection players. What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see
    > any problems?

    Your hardware seems acceptable. I would be more worried about your
    upload speeds of your internet connection. This is not always the same
    as your download speed. Check with your ISP.

    You may find it OK for small number of players, but as you get more and
    more joining, some may experience lag. Just experiment to see how many
    players your server can handle acceptably. There are many variables in
    there, so it is hard to know for sure.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    Florian Lindner wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4 GHz
    > Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).
    > On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL, postfix,
    > courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural selection
    > players.
    > What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Florian

    4mb RAM per player is a good guideline. Plus the mod's overhead. That
    would suggest that you probably need 192mb of RAM just for the HLDS.

    In addition to that you'll need about 40k/bits per entity in both
    directions, so 32 players you're going to need at least a megabit (not a
    problem by the sound of things).

    Processor-wise, celeron servers generally aren't a great idea, but just
    keep an eye on it, 2.4 should be more than enough..

    Civilian_Target

Hardware Servers Linux Video Games