Hardware requirements for HL server on Linux

Hello,
I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4 GHz
Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).
On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL, postfix,
courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural selection
players.
What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?

Thx,

Florian

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4
GHz
> Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).

100 Mbit?
Are you sure

What is the up- and download speed on your internet connection?
You probably have 100Mbit on your LAN (local network)

> On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL,
postfix,
> courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural
selection
> players.
> What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?

More memory
Other than that depends a little on the load on the database etc

rgds

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
>
> > 100 Mbit?
> > Are you sure
>
> Yes.

Cool

Prizes from an ISP in Denmark
51200 kb/s 144.000 kr.
102400 kb/s 210.000 kr.

the fee has to be paid four times a year
Probably quite cheap compared to other ISPs as this is an education net

How much does it cost you or are you in a nice position where you can
take advantage of this type of bandwidth?

Just curios, if you can't/won't tell it's fine with me :)

rgds

Peter [AGHL] wrote:

> Florian Lindner wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4
> GHz
>> Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).
>
> 100 Mbit?
> Are you sure

Yes.

> What is the up- and download speed on your internet connection?
> You probably have 100Mbit on your LAN (local network)

I had once a download (from the Internet) with 11 MByte/s ;-)

>> On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL,
> postfix,
>> courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural
> selection
>> players.
>> What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?
>>
> More memory
> Other than that depends a little on the load on the database etc

Thanks,

Florian

Peter [AGHL] wrote:

> Florian Lindner wrote:
>> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
>>
>> > 100 Mbit?
>> > Are you sure
>>
>> Yes.
>>
> Cool
>
> Prizes from an ISP in Denmark
> 51200 kb/s 144.000 kr.
> 102400 kb/s 210.000 kr.
>
> the fee has to be paid four times a year
> Probably quite cheap compared to other ISPs as this is an education net
>
> How much does it cost you or are you in a nice position where you can
> take advantage of this type of bandwidth?
>
> Just curios, if you can't/won't tell it's fine with me :)

It's a German company offering dedicated servers with root access for rent.
It's 39 Eur for 300 GB Traffic per month. I share this price with about 10
people hosting web sites and some small servers there. Obviously the
machine is too small for hlds with 34 players.

Florian

* Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello, I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux
> box (2,4 GHz Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection). On
> the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL, postfix,
> courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural
> selection players. What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see
> any problems?

Your hardware seems acceptable. I would be more worried about your
upload speeds of your internet connection. This is not always the same
as your download speed. Check with your ISP.

You may find it OK for small number of players, but as you get more and
more joining, some may experience lag. Just experiment to see how many
players your server can handle acceptably. There are many variables in
there, so it is hard to know for sure.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet@piggo.com

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm planning to run a Half Life Dedicated Server on my Linux box (2,4 GHz
> Celereon, 512MB RAM, 100 MBit Internet connection).
> On the server are running a few other services (Apache2, MySQL, postfix,
> courier-imap) under low load. The HL server should be 32 natural selection
> players.
> What will be the hardware requirements? Do you see any problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Florian

4mb RAM per player is a good guideline. Plus the mod's overhead. That
would suggest that you probably need 192mb of RAM just for the HLDS.

In addition to that you'll need about 40k/bits per entity in both
directions, so 32 players you're going to need at least a megabit (not a
problem by the sound of things).

Processor-wise, celeron servers generally aren't a great idea, but just
keep an eye on it, 2.4 should be more than enough..

Civilian_Target