Remarkable Backup Hardware=tomshardware,xbit labs

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 7, 2005 9:43:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Just when I needed something I'm happily surprised to find a product
that offers true bullet-proof backups without the anxieties or
questionable restore issues that most current tools leave you
with,anyway...reading of my favorite pc-info web sites Toms and Xbit
labs both of whom rave about Radix Protector, I was immediately
impressed but now wonder why such a marvelous tool has not really been
known outside of the larger institutions/corporations and geek insiders
especially when it will work perfectly with a home user?

http://www.radixamerica.com/

And for the skeptical..no I do not work for Radix.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 12:11:10 AM

mystro wrote:
> Just when I needed something I'm happily surprised to find a product
> that offers true bullet-proof backups without the anxieties or
> questionable restore issues that most current tools leave you
> with,anyway...reading of my favorite pc-info web sites Toms and Xbit
> labs both of whom rave about Radix Protector, I was immediately
> impressed but now wonder why such a marvelous tool has not really
been
> known outside of the larger institutions/corporations and geek
insiders
> especially when it will work perfectly with a home user?
>
> http://www.radixamerica.com/
>
> And for the skeptical..no I do not work for Radix.

Tomshardware has some Reviews of NAS-Appliances and USB-external
enclosures.With some Backup-Software,you can have a
"bullet-proof"-Backup.
If you like it simple,use something like ghost.If you have time,use the
built-in Backup of Windows (you have to Restore Windows,when Hardrive
dies).

The Radix USB-Key was tested some month ago and it offers only ONE
Restore Point.Even Win XP allows you more then enough Restorepoints.

A good Solution might be a Raid1 (Content of Disk1 is always written to
Disk2) Setup and a external USB-Enclosure for not so important
Files,which are already on CD or DVD.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 3:36:03 AM

Not necessarily. Check out bartpe <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/&gt;.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

For clarification,Radix does offer multible restore points except in
the basic
version.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 3:42:21 PM

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
> A hardware solution, and thus has lots of drawbacks over software
ones.
> Need to disassemble the case.
> No notebook/laptop support.
>
> And so on.

The "MLP-Version" of the USB-Stick supports Notebooks.
It costs around 150$,Ghost are available for 5$ (Version 2003).If you
dont mind waiting half an Hour,it would be the best Solution.If you
need Restore instant,you have to use Radix.

But now comes the Drawback:Radix will restore your System to a certain
Point.Tomshardware wrote that Documents have to be in a certain
Directory to not be overwritten with a Restore.I dont know yet,if you
could tell which Directories to keep.At worst,you have to copy all your
Documents and Files into a new Directory,which might be a Problem for
somebody (if you have different Network Shares and Radix relies on his
own).You might asked Radix first,before buying this,if its an issue for
you.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 5:03:57 PM

mystro <netrat_@excite.com> wrote in message

> Just when I needed something I'm happily surprised to find a product
> that offers true bullet-proof backups without the anxieties or
> questionable restore issues that most current tools leave you
> with,anyway...reading of my favorite pc-info web sites Toms and Xbit
> labs both of whom rave about Radix Protector, I was immediately
> impressed but now wonder why such a marvelous tool has not really been
> known outside of the larger institutions/corporations and geek insiders
> especially when it will work perfectly with a home user?

It wont protect against the main failure, hard drive death.

> http://www.radixamerica.com/

> And for the skeptical..no I do not work for Radix.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 7:47:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Maybe this link/comparison at Radix will explain some of the questions
regarding software VS hardware restore issues..some interesting points
without the usual over-hyping which is a welcome change.
http://radixamerica.com/radix-vs-sw.htm
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 2:11:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

A hardware solution, and thus has lots of drawbacks over software ones.
Need to disassemble the case.
No notebook/laptop support.

And so on.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> But now comes the Drawback:Radix will restore your System to a certain
> Point.Tomshardware wrote that Documents have to be in a certain

Is it possible at all with this product to exclude directories or files from
the restore to a point?

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 9:55:58 AM

highpurity@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe this link/comparison at Radix will explain some of the
questions
> regarding software VS hardware restore issues..some interesting
points
> without the usual over-hyping which is a welcome change.
> http://radixamerica.com/radix-vs-sw.htm

I still miss "Backup" on this Table....

And if you wanne talk serios,you must have some Backup-Software in case
the hardisk fail or a Power Strike blows your PC.

Then you are almost on a Ghost-only-Solution.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 10, 2005 5:55:16 PM

<highpurity@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Maybe this link/comparison at Radix will explain some of the questions
> regarding software VS hardware restore issues..some interesting points
> without the usual over-hyping which is a welcome change.
> http://radixamerica.com/radix-vs-sw.htm

It is however rather dishonest to not even mention that it doesnt
protect against the most serious problem, the hard drive dying.

Doesnt protect against the system being
stolen either or consumed in a fire etc.
!