Swappin out a HD on an external USB?

Is there any issue with swappin out a HD on an older Lacie USB external?

The drive inside now is a Seagate EIDE 5400RPM 60GB.

Id like to get a on sale a 300gb 7200 RPM to put in it.

Assuming power supply is beefie enough, you think that will work ok?

thanks

jtsnow wrote:

> Is there any issue with swappin out a HD on an older Lacie USB external?
>
> The drive inside now is a Seagate EIDE 5400RPM 60GB.
>
> Id like to get a on sale a 300gb 7200 RPM to put in it.
>
> Assuming power supply is beefie enough, you think that will work ok?

Probably not. It's unlikely that the firmware in a device designed when 60
gig was a large drive will be able to handle drives over 135 gig.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:07:15 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there any issue with swappin out a HD on an older Lacie USB external?
>
>The drive inside now is a Seagate EIDE 5400RPM 60GB.
>
>Id like to get a on sale a 300gb 7200 RPM to put in it.
>
>Assuming power supply is beefie enough, you think that will work ok?

That assumption may be a problem. I recently tried to put a 160GB HD
in an older Maxtor 80GB FW enclosure, just to see how much of it would
be accessible, and it wouldn't even spin up the drive. Put the old
drive back, no problem; put the new drive in a cheap USB enclosure, no
problem.

You can try it and see...

Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> jtsnow wrote:

>> Is there any issue with swappin out a HD on an older Lacie USB external?
>>
>> The drive inside now is a Seagate EIDE 5400RPM 60GB.
>>
>> Id like to get a on sale a 300gb 7200 RPM to put in it.
>>
>> Assuming power supply is beefie enough, you think that will work ok?

> Probably not. It's unlikely that the firmware in a device designed when 60
> gig was a large drive will be able to handle drives over 135 gig.

In addition you might run into cooling problems if the larger
drive consumes more power. External drives are often not cooled
adequately in the first place.

Arno