Can a virus attack both drive C: and drive E: at the same ..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 4:13:42 PM

Using Norton Ghost 9.0, I just copied my hard drive C: to my second
hard drive E:

I was wondering if it is possible for a virus to attack both drives at
the same time or jump from drive C: to drive E:

I am running Norton Internet Security 2003
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 4:24:54 PM

Thanks Arno!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 7:13:21 PM

Would "backing up" to drive E: be any safer than copying "cloning" to
drive E:?
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 7:16:57 PM

Thanks, Rod. Your right it would be a lot easier to disconnect an
external. I quess I'm too cheep to buy an external when my internal
only cost me $31.00 on ebay.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2005 7:41:58 PM

Rod Speed wrote:
> wj59 <brucelwoody@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> > Would "backing up" to drive E: be any safer than copying "cloning"
to drive
> > E:?
>
> Yes, if you use an imaging app like ghost, its less likely that
> a virus would damage the contents of the image file too.
>
> Ghost 2003 costs peanuts on ebay as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003.
>
> Gotta be Pro, it isnt included in SystemWorks 2003.

Thanks Rod. That makes feel a little safer. I have Norton Ghost 9.0. I
bought it on ebay for around $29.00.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 12:22:16 AM

Previously wj59 <brucelwoody@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Using Norton Ghost 9.0, I just copied my hard drive C: to my second
> hard drive E:

> I was wondering if it is possible for a virus to attack both drives at
> the same time or jump from drive C: to drive E:

> I am running Norton Internet Security 2003

A virus can attack any executable on any reachable, writable drive,
including drives mounted over the network. Non-executable files
can also be attacked, but this makes less sense. Still some
non-executable files may contain executable contents, such
as word-macros or PostScrip instructions. These are only a risk
if the application used to work on these files is insecure.

A virus can "jump" only when it is started first. Then it just
can infect anything writable anywhere. How excatly a virus
is started depends on the virus.

I don't know how good your security product is. If it includes
a virus-scanner, then get the latest signatures and check all
drives. Old virus signatures are not worth much since so many
variants of virii are created all the time.

Arno
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 12:24:00 PM

> Using Norton Ghost 9.0, I just copied my
> hard drive C: to my second hard drive E:

> I was wondering if it is possible for a virus
> to attack both drives at the same time

Yep.

> or jump from drive C: to drive E:

Not really.

The ultimate protection against viruses is to physically disconnect
the backup drive. Thats easier with an external than an internal.

> I am running Norton Internet Security 2003
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 2:28:00 PM

> Thanks, Rod. Your right it would be a lot easier to disconnect
> an external. I quess I'm too cheep to buy an external when
> my internal only cost me $31.00 on ebay.

You could try a removable drive bay. They are cheap.

I dont like them myself, but I dont care about the
price and prefer to adhere to the standards instead.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 2:30:22 PM

wj59 <brucelwoody@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Would "backing up" to drive E: be any safer than copying "cloning" to drive
> E:?

Yes, if you use an imaging app like ghost, its less likely that
a virus would damage the contents of the image file too.

Ghost 2003 costs peanuts on ebay as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003.

Gotta be Pro, it isnt included in SystemWorks 2003.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2005 4:02:23 PM

On 8 Feb 2005 13:13:42 -0800, "wj59" <brucelwoody@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Using Norton Ghost 9.0, I just copied my hard drive C: to my second
>hard drive E:

True Image can use something called a "secure zone", which is an area
on your HD where it keeps backups that are hidden from the OS. This
would be immune to certain types of virus attacks, but still
susceptible to other attacks or disk failure.

I've never used it, so I can't speak for how well it works.