What's up with WIX?

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2004 9:36:50 PM

I am planning on a purchase of a V 400, and was thinking
about adding the unlimited WIX to my plan, but cannot
get good information from the cingular people about it, and
I don't want to get on a plan and find out it doesn't do what I want.

So, can I hook my laptop to a phone, using the unlimited
WIX plan, and surf the web on the laptop, without using
my minutes ?

Or is it just for surfing on that teeny screen that
the phone has, with a WAP browser?

I am sure this has been covered, but I need
things spelled out, and cust service seems pretty
un-aware of their own plans, or else they want you
to think you can't run a laptop, when you can.

Anyone?

Bernard

More about : wix

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2004 9:36:51 PM

"Bernard Farquart" <bfarquart@notmyemail.net> wrote in message
| I am planning on a purchase of a V 400, and was thinking
| about adding the unlimited WIX to my plan, but cannot
| get good information from the cingular people about it, and
| I don't want to get on a plan and find out it doesn't do what I want.
|
| So, can I hook my laptop to a phone, using the unlimited
| WIX plan, and surf the web on the laptop, without using
| my minutes ?
|
| Or is it just for surfing on that teeny screen that
| the phone has, with a WAP browser?
|
| I am sure this has been covered, but I need
| things spelled out, and cust service seems pretty
| un-aware of their own plans, or else they want you
| to think you can't run a laptop, when you can.
|
| Anyone?

I do.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2004 6:35:54 PM

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "Bernard Farquart" <bfarquart@notmyemail.net> wrote in message
> | I am planning on a purchase of a V 400, and was thinking
> | about adding the unlimited WIX to my plan, but cannot
> | get good information from the cingular people about it, and
> | I don't want to get on a plan and find out it doesn't do what I want.
> |
> | So, can I hook my laptop to a phone, using the unlimited
> | WIX plan, and surf the web on the laptop, without using
> | my minutes ?
> |
> | Or is it just for surfing on that teeny screen that
> | the phone has, with a WAP browser?
> |
> | I am sure this has been covered, but I need
> | things spelled out, and cust service seems pretty
> | un-aware of their own plans, or else they want you
> | to think you can't run a laptop, when you can.
> |
> | Anyone?
> |

> I do.

Thanks, I was confused, since 19.99 is a killer
deal for that service, and the cingular people I
asked just wanted to talk about the phone's
browsing features. It wouldn't be such a good
deal if it were only WAP browsing.

a b D Laptop
June 3, 2004 1:15:48 AM

I'll agree is a great deal. It tons better than the $70 or so for 30kbps
unlimted GPRS that they did have. What makes it better is Cingular is
enabling EDGE and here in the D/FW area I'm seeing speed in excess of
80kbps. It cost the same to use EDGE or GPRS. I highly recommend getting
a EDGE phone if you can get one that has 850mhz in it. I'm using the
Nokia 6230b.

Bernard Farquart wrote:

> Thanks, I was confused, since 19.99 is a killer
> deal for that service, and the cingular people I
> asked just wanted to talk about the phone's
> browsing features. It wouldn't be such a good
> deal if it were only WAP browsing.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2004 12:57:46 PM

Can you point me to instructions on how to get it working?

bracky

"Randy McLean" <usenetjunk@wo5m.net> wrote in message
> I'll agree is a great deal. It tons better than the $70 or so for 30kbps
> unlimted GPRS that they did have. What makes it better is Cingular is
> enabling EDGE and here in the D/FW area I'm seeing speed in excess of
> 80kbps. It cost the same to use EDGE or GPRS. I highly recommend getting
> a EDGE phone if you can get one that has 850mhz in it. I'm using the
> Nokia 6230b.
>
> Bernard Farquart wrote:
> >

> > Thanks, I was confused, since 19.99 is a killer
> > deal for that service, and the cingular people I
> > asked just wanted to talk about the phone's
> > browsing features. It wouldn't be such a good
> > deal if it were only WAP browsing.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2004 6:57:55 PM

Well there are several places on the Internet that get the settings, but
many of them are not correct. It took me 5 calls to support to get
someone who knew what they were talking about. Here are the setting for
cingular's GPRS/EDGE network for using both WAP and a laptop/pda
connection. I'm not sure what phone your using, but this should help.
Make sure you have a GPRS plan attached to your phone.

For the WAP browser in the phone:
Homepage: http://device.home
Proxies: Enabled
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
Data Bearer: GPRS
Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
Authentication Type: Secure
Login type: automatic
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)

For Laptop/PDA connection:
In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
is connected to
In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername:
WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1

Can you give specifics on what phone you have?

bracky wrote:
> Can you point me to instructions on how to get it working?
>

> bracky

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2004 8:14:26 PM

I have a motorola T720 and am trying to use mobile phone tools. I have the
media works unlimited service and gprs is working fine. I had tried using
that login information that you give before but I think my dial # was
different. I'll do more experimenting this evening. I appreciate the help.
:)

> Well there are several places on the Internet that get the settings, but
> many of them are not correct. It took me 5 calls to support to get
> someone who knew what they were talking about. Here are the setting for
> cingular's GPRS/EDGE network for using both WAP and a laptop/pda
> connection. I'm not sure what phone your using, but this should help.
> Make sure you have a GPRS plan attached to your phone.
>
> For the WAP browser in the phone:
> Homepage: http://device.home
> Proxies: Enabled
> Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
> Data Bearer: GPRS
> Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
> Authentication Type: Secure
> Login type: automatic
> User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
> Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)
>

> For Laptop/PDA connection:
> In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
> In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
> is connected to
> In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername:
> WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
> In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1
>
> Can you give specifics on what phone you have?
>
> bracky wrote:
> > Can you point me to instructions on how to get it working?
> >

> > bracky

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2004 8:36:49 PM

You are the man. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :)

Yup it works. :)

bracky

"bracky" <elmo@muzz.com> wrote in message
> I have a motorola T720 and am trying to use mobile phone tools. I have
the
> media works unlimited service and gprs is working fine. I had tried using
> that login information that you give before but I think my dial # was
> different. I'll do more experimenting this evening. I appreciate the
help.
> :)
>

> bracky
>

> "Randy McLean" <usenetjunk@wo5m.net> wrote in message
> > Well there are several places on the Internet that get the settings, but
> > many of them are not correct. It took me 5 calls to support to get
> > someone who knew what they were talking about. Here are the setting for
> > cingular's GPRS/EDGE network for using both WAP and a laptop/pda
> > connection. I'm not sure what phone your using, but this should help.
> > Make sure you have a GPRS plan attached to your phone.
> >
> > For the WAP browser in the phone:
> > Homepage: http://device.home
> > Proxies: Enabled
> > Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
> > Data Bearer: GPRS
> > Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
> > Authentication Type: Secure
> > Login type: automatic
> > User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
> > Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)
> >

> > For Laptop/PDA connection:
> > In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
> > In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
> > is connected to
> > In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername:
> > WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
> > In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1
> >
> > Can you give specifics on what phone you have?
> >
> > bracky wrote:
> > > Can you point me to instructions on how to get it working?
> > >

> > > bracky

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 5, 2004 5:27:18 AM

Hey I work for cingular wirelss in customer service, I can see where
you would have a hard time getting all the info you need. Do you
still have any questions about how your internet is used, or do you
pretty much have it figured out. You have a question I have the
answer or can find it
sarah

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:36:50 GMT, "Bernard Farquart"
<bfarquart@notmyemail.net> wrote:

>I am planning on a purchase of a V 400, and was thinking
>about adding the unlimited WIX to my plan, but cannot
>get good information from the cingular people about it, and
>I don't want to get on a plan and find out it doesn't do what I want.
>
>So, can I hook my laptop to a phone, using the unlimited
>WIX plan, and surf the web on the laptop, without using
>my minutes ?
>
>Or is it just for surfing on that teeny screen that
>the phone has, with a WAP browser?
>
>I am sure this has been covered, but I need
>things spelled out, and cust service seems pretty
>un-aware of their own plans, or else they want you
>to think you can't run a laptop, when you can.
>
>Anyone?
>
>Bernard

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2004 12:21:49 PM

Sarah,

I'm a new Cingular subscriber and am using the connection information
above to get my laptop onto the net via my V600 (by the way, thank you
to Randy McLean - the information was golden on my phone!) My
question is, I signed up for the unlimited Wireless Internet Express
for $19.99 - is that the "bucket" that connections I make will come
out of? I will not be charged any additional fee for using my Laptop,
nor will it eat minutes?

Thanks in advance,
Randy

kylasd <noone@home.net> wrote in message news:<0f72c0pqciut2s7t7mnmidqs19pq9dc6g5@4ax.com>...
> Hey I work for cingular wirelss in customer service, I can see where
> you would have a hard time getting all the info you need. Do you
> still have any questions about how your internet is used, or do you
> pretty much have it figured out. You have a question I have the
> answer or can find it
> sarah
>

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:36:50 GMT, "Bernard Farquart"
> <bfarquart@notmyemail.net> wrote:
>
> >I am planning on a purchase of a V 400, and was thinking
> >about adding the unlimited WIX to my plan, but cannot
> >get good information from the cingular people about it, and
> >I don't want to get on a plan and find out it doesn't do what I want.
> >
> >So, can I hook my laptop to a phone, using the unlimited
> >WIX plan, and surf the web on the laptop, without using
> >my minutes ?
> >
> >Or is it just for surfing on that teeny screen that
> >the phone has, with a WAP browser?
> >
> >I am sure this has been covered, but I need
> >things spelled out, and cust service seems pretty
> >un-aware of their own plans, or else they want you
> >to think you can't run a laptop, when you can.
> >
> >Anyone?
> >
> >Bernard

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2004 3:29:26 PM

"Randy Beiter" <merlin.goog@camelot.org> wrote in message
| Sarah,
|
| I'm a new Cingular subscriber and am using the connection information
| above to get my laptop onto the net via my V600 (by the way, thank you
| to Randy McLean - the information was golden on my phone!) My
| question is, I signed up for the unlimited Wireless Internet Express
| for $19.99 - is that the "bucket" that connections I make will come
| out of? I will not be charged any additional fee for using my Laptop,
| nor will it eat minutes?
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Randy

I'm not Sarah, but you are correct.