Nikon D70

Does anyone know how big a print I can obtain from this camera? Its 6MP.
2 answers Last reply
More about nikon

    "bumbalina" <bumbalina42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Does anyone know how big a print I can obtain from this camera? Its 6MP.

    8 x 10 = 2400 x 3000
    5 x 7 = 1500 x 2100
    4 x 6 = 1200 x 1800 (this is 300 dpi of course)

    Some photos - depending on the number of pixels in the image - look
    better when printed at a specific size. Use the following guidelines
    as a general rule.

    Minimum recommended image resolutions for printing:
    4 x 6 Print / 640x480 pixels minimum
    5 x 7 Print / 1024x768 pixels minimum
    8 x 10 Print / 1536x1024 pixels minimum
    Wallet Prints / 320x240 pixels minimum (Actual image size: 2" x 3")

    Most camera shop printers print at a maximum of 300dpi.

    It is not recommended to interpolate images up to meet these numbers.

    In addition, cropping the images to the correct aspect ratios will
    prevent trimming of the contents.

    For a 4 x 6 print: Your image should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5
    For a 5 x 7 prints: Your image should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.4
    For an 8 x 10 print: Your image should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.25
    For a 16 x 20 print: Your image should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.25
    For a 20 x 30 print: Your image should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5
    For Wallet-size print: Your image should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5

    "user@hotmail.com" <user@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Does anyone know how big a print I can obtain from this camera?
    > Its 6MP.

    It's 3008 x 2000 px.

    But there is no definite answer to your question. It all depends.
    For instance, it depends on viewing distance, your standards for
    acceptable quality, and whether the image is suitable for upsampling.

    If you want - you can make mural sized prints from a D70. If you just
    step back far enough to watch them, they'll look fine.

    For «normal» viewing distances, and for levels of quality I find
    acceptable (YMMV) you should print at 240 ppi. That makes the
    largest print from a D70 12.5 x 8.3 in.

    Some purists insists you need to print at 300 ppi for quality.
    In that case, the largest print you can make without upsampling
    is 10 x 6,7 in.

    Some images (i.e. those with large blocks of uniform colour and little
    detail) upsample very well with a suitable tool (e.g. Genuine
    Fractals). In that case - the sky is the limit. Others break up when
    you try to upsample - but upsampling as a method to increase the size
    of a a print is not as useless as the previous poster in this thread
    indicated.

Cameras Nikon Peripherals