E: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

This is displayed when I try to use the drive. It has happened to 3 different hard drives used for extra
storage. So I know its not the hard drives. Usually I delete the partition, create a partition and I'm
back to normal. But something is causing it. I Googled it and read lots, but not really any solutions.
Any suggestions? Using W2k pro with latest updates. Drives are 80 gig each and the cmos is old. But I
was using these drives before (over 200 gigs total) with no problems. I was renaming the drives and
changing the drive letters. I wonder if this could have caused problems or if its generally not
recommended?
9 answers Last reply
More about accessible parameter incorrect

    More details please. How were you renaming the drives and changing
    letters? In win2k? Using Partition Magic?

    IMF

    Frank W. wrote:
    > This is displayed when I try to use the drive. It has happened to 3
    different hard drives used for extra
    > storage. So I know its not the hard drives. Usually I delete the
    partition, create a partition and I'm
    > back to normal. But something is causing it. I Googled it and read
    lots, but not really any solutions.
    > Any suggestions? Using W2k pro with latest updates. Drives are 80
    gig each and the cmos is old. But I
    > was using these drives before (over 200 gigs total) with no problems.
    I was renaming the drives and
    > changing the drive letters. I wonder if this could have caused
    problems or if its generally not
    > recommended?

    I was renaming the drives by right clicking / Rename in Windows
    Explorer using Win2k.

    "Frank W." <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote in message news:36t46rF53qrhnU1@individual.net
    > This is displayed when I try to use the drive. It has happened to 3 different hard drives used for extra
    > storage. So I know its not the hard drives. Usually I delete the partition, create a partition and I'm
    > back to normal. But something is causing it.

    > I Googled it and read lots, but not really any solutions.

    I didn't give any? I'm almost sure I did.

    > Any suggestions? Using W2k pro with latest updates. Drives are 80 gig each and the cmos is old. But I
    > was using these drives before (over 200 gigs total) with no problems. I was renaming the drives and
    > changing the drive letters. I wonder if this could have caused problems or if its generally not
    > recommended?

    > > This is displayed when I try to use the drive. It has happened to 3 different hard drives used for
    extra
    > > storage. So I know its not the hard drives. Usually I delete the partition, create a partition and
    I'm
    > > back to normal. But something is causing it. Any suggestions? Using W2k pro with latest updates.
    Drives > > are 80 gig each and the cmos is old. But I was using these drives before (over 200 gigs
    total) with no
    > > problems. I was renaming the drives and changing the drive letters. I wonder if this could have
    caused
    > > problems or if its generally not recommended? I Googled it and read lots, but not really any
    solutions.

    > I didn't give any? I'm almost sure I did.

    If could give a suggestion here that would be great.

    You say the CMOS is old. I assume then you are using ez-bios to access
    your drive. I have been told by the Maxtor tech people that Win2k and
    ez-bios are incompatible. Period. They are adamant about that, and will
    tell you that any problems you have will be because of that. Sure, I
    have gotten them to work, but results can be unpredictable and things
    can disappear. It has happened to me. They won't even entertain a
    solution, other than getting an ATA controller card. So, if that is
    your situation, that may be your solution.

    Irwin

    Frank W. wrote:
    > > > This is displayed when I try to use the drive. It has happened
    to 3 different hard drives used for
    > extra
    > > > storage. So I know its not the hard drives. Usually I delete
    the partition, create a partition and
    > I'm
    > > > back to normal. But something is causing it. Any suggestions?
    Using W2k pro with latest updates.
    > Drives > > are 80 gig each and the cmos is old. But I was using
    these drives before (over 200 gigs
    > total) with no
    > > > problems. I was renaming the drives and changing the drive
    letters. I wonder if this could have
    > caused
    > > > problems or if its generally not recommended? I Googled it and
    read lots, but not really any
    > solutions.
    > >
    > > I didn't give any? I'm almost sure I did.
    >
    > If could give a suggestion here that would be great.

    If your bios is 1998 and your drives are 80gig, then you probably have
    ezbios on all of them, and all of the same things can happen. I am not
    sure this is the problem, but your idea of setting up and leaving
    things along seems wise.

    IMF

    "Frank W." <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote in message news:37063tF55e6icU1@individual.net
    > > > This is displayed when I try to use the drive. It has happened to 3 different hard drives used for extra
    > > > storage. So I know its not the hard drives. Usually I delete the partition, create a partition and I'm
    > > > back to normal. But something is causing it. Any suggestions? Using W2k pro with latest updates.
    > > > Drives are 80 gig each and the cmos is old. But I was using these drives before (over 200 gigs total) with
    > > > no problems. I was renaming the drives and changing the drive letters. I wonder if this could have caused
    > > > problems or if its generally not recommended? I Googled it and read lots, but not really any solutions.
    > >
    > > I didn't give any? I'm almost sure I did.
    >
    > If could give a suggestion here that would be great.

    Run Findpart. Check under bootsector (BS) column.
  9. Hi!

    I don't know if you have solved you problem, but this happened to me and what did I do was to run a check disk:

    <prompt> CHKDSK E: /F /R /X

    and bamb! problem solved!

    Hope this help! :)

Storage Hard Drives