Windows Movie maker Video Capturing

August 19, 2004 4:33:01 PM

I am just starting with WMM 2 and have novice question. I understand in
order to download video from a Video camcorder it should be a camera that
records digital format on tape and then one would require a PC with a Built
in IEEE 1394 Card. I have neither of these. I have a Hitachi camcorder that
records to a 3 1/2" disc and after a finalization step one takes out the disc
inserts it into a DVD player and views the movie. My question is ..what would
I need to do or have in order to download my movie in this camera to WMM 2.?
I was told my camera and type of file recorded on this disc is incompatible
with WMM2. I did hope to download to WMM2 and send a movie clip in EMAIL.
Appreciate any hlep..Thanks Much.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:57:02 PM

Actually you need a video in card,one that excepts rsa jacks or in youre case
s-video,youre dvd has s-video out.A vhs player has both,via the dvd,the video
cards of this type should have these connectionsmits usually for editing not
a gameing card,sony makes one,usually thier between 50.00-100.00.From there
WMM can capture from the card,a great utility for viewing is with
WM9CAP,youll
find that at windows media,encoder page,authoriting utilitys,get the encoder
also with all utilitys.With those utilitys and a reasonable card,you can
edit like
a studio.

"RAY" wrote:

> I am just starting with WMM 2 and have novice question. I understand in
> order to download video from a Video camcorder it should be a camera that
> records digital format on tape and then one would require a PC with a Built
> in IEEE 1394 Card. I have neither of these. I have a Hitachi camcorder that
> records to a 3 1/2" disc and after a finalization step one takes out the disc
> inserts it into a DVD player and views the movie. My question is ..what would
> I need to do or have in order to download my movie in this camera to WMM 2.?
> I was told my camera and type of file recorded on this disc is incompatible
> with WMM2. I did hope to download to WMM2 and send a movie clip in EMAIL.
> Appreciate any hlep..Thanks Much.
August 20, 2004 3:10:12 AM

First note that there is a dedicated newsgroup for movie maker which is
quite
active so you should take your question there:

Your DVD-camcorder records in MPEG2 format which is unfortunately not the
best format for editing in movie maker. You need to convert it into one of
the more friendly format which normally means the video file would have an
AVI extension.

Start with http://www.videohelp.com/convert

Also note that MM does not save in MPEG2 so you would have to convert your
edited movie back to MPEG2 if you want the final output to be on DVD. The
conversion from and to MPEG2 format is not trivial and requires a lot of
processing. So you might like to investigate a video editor which works in
native MPEG2 format.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for movie maker