Windows Movie maker Video Capturing

I am just starting with WMM 2 and have novice question. I understand in
order to download video from a Video camcorder it should be a camera that
records digital format on tape and then one would require a PC with a Built
in IEEE 1394 Card. I have neither of these. I have a Hitachi camcorder that
records to a 3 1/2" disc and after a finalization step one takes out the disc
inserts it into a DVD player and views the movie. My question is ..what would
I need to do or have in order to download my movie in this camera to WMM 2.?
I was told my camera and type of file recorded on this disc is incompatible
with WMM2. I did hope to download to WMM2 and send a movie clip in EMAIL.
Appreciate any hlep..Thanks Much.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows movie maker video capturing

    Actually you need a video in card,one that excepts rsa jacks or in youre case
    s-video,youre dvd has s-video out.A vhs player has both,via the dvd,the video
    cards of this type should have these connectionsmits usually for editing not
    a gameing card,sony makes one,usually thier between 50.00-100.00.From there
    WMM can capture from the card,a great utility for viewing is with
    WM9CAP,youll
    find that at windows media,encoder page,authoriting utilitys,get the encoder
    also with all utilitys.With those utilitys and a reasonable card,you can
    edit like
    a studio.

    "RAY" wrote:

    > I am just starting with WMM 2 and have novice question. I understand in
    > order to download video from a Video camcorder it should be a camera that
    > records digital format on tape and then one would require a PC with a Built
    > in IEEE 1394 Card. I have neither of these. I have a Hitachi camcorder that
    > records to a 3 1/2" disc and after a finalization step one takes out the disc
    > inserts it into a DVD player and views the movie. My question is ..what would
    > I need to do or have in order to download my movie in this camera to WMM 2.?
    > I was told my camera and type of file recorded on this disc is incompatible
    > with WMM2. I did hope to download to WMM2 and send a movie clip in EMAIL.
    > Appreciate any hlep..Thanks Much.

    First note that there is a dedicated newsgroup for movie maker which is
    quite
    active so you should take your question there:

    Your DVD-camcorder records in MPEG2 format which is unfortunately not the
    best format for editing in movie maker. You need to convert it into one of
    the more friendly format which normally means the video file would have an
    AVI extension.

    Start with http://www.videohelp.com/convert

    Also note that MM does not save in MPEG2 so you would have to convert your
    edited movie back to MPEG2 if you want the final output to be on DVD. The
    conversion from and to MPEG2 format is not trivial and requires a lot of
    processing. So you might like to investigate a video editor which works in
    native MPEG2 format.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for movie maker

    "RAY" <RAY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am just starting with WMM 2 and have novice question. I understand in
    > order to download video from a Video camcorder it should be a camera that
    > records digital format on tape and then one would require a PC with a
    > Built
    > in IEEE 1394 Card. I have neither of these. I have a Hitachi camcorder
    > that
    > records to a 3 1/2" disc and after a finalization step one takes out the
    > disc
    > inserts it into a DVD player and views the movie. My question is ..what
    > would
    > I need to do or have in order to download my movie in this camera to WMM
    > 2.?
    > I was told my camera and type of file recorded on this disc is
    > incompatible
    > with WMM2. I did hope to download to WMM2 and send a movie clip in EMAIL.
    > Appreciate any hlep..Thanks Much.

Video Download Windows Movie Maker Windows XP