Buffalo LinkStation makes intermittent clicking noise

Hi.

I recently bought 300 GB LinkStaton by Buffalo Technology. It seems to
work fine, but every hour or so, it makes a brief clicking noise similar
to the noise that computers make when they goes into power saving mode.
LinkStation does have an option for a sleep mode, but it's disabled. Does
anyone know if this noise is a part of the normal operation of a LinkStation?
Thanks.

-3-
2 answers Last reply
More about buffalo linkstation makes intermittent clicking noise

    <third@whasup.com> wrote in message

    > I recently bought 300 GB LinkStaton by Buffalo Technology. It seems to
    > work fine, but every hour or so, it makes a brief clicking noise similar
    > to the noise that computers make when they goes into power saving mode.
    > LinkStation does have an option for a sleep mode, but it's disabled. Does
    > anyone know if this noise is a part of the normal operation of a LinkStation?

    Some drives do that, maybe its just more audible when in one of those.

    Do you know what drive is used in it ?

    As per Rod Speed (rod_speed@yahoo.com):

    > <third@whasup.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I recently bought 300 GB LinkStaton by Buffalo Technology. It seems to
    > > work fine, but every hour or so, it makes a brief clicking noise similar
    > > to the noise that computers make when they goes into power saving mode.
    > > LinkStation does have an option for a sleep mode, but it's disabled. Does
    > > anyone know if this noise is a part of the normal operation of a LinkStation?
    >
    > Some drives do that, maybe its just more audible when in one of those.
    >
    > Do you know what drive is used in it ?

    Nope. I can telnet to it, but can find nothing hardware related in the logs.

    -3-

Hardware Buffalo Storage