Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

All videos show up as Black Screen

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 19, 2004 10:16:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Some time back I lost the ability to play videos. The
problem is independent of the player. For example, it
the same for real player, media player, and quicktime.

Videos that onced played now just show up as a black
screen. I can hear the sound, but the video is black.

I have Windows XP professional.

Any Ideas where to start?
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:15:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

What are the file extensions of the videos?

What happened during the time period between when these files played
correctly and now?

--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:95bc01c48653$4e5f4310$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>
>
> Some time back I lost the ability to play videos. The
> problem is independent of the player. For example, it
> the same for real player, media player, and quicktime.
>
> Videos that onced played now just show up as a black
> screen. I can hear the sound, but the video is black.
>
> I have Windows XP professional.
>
> Any Ideas where to start?
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:40:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

hi bruce,

i took some video today. they have sound and the video is black.
hopefully, we will get an answer shortly.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *
Don't just live life.
Live life well.


"Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:95bc01c48653$4e5f4310$a501280a@phx.gbl...
:
:
: Some time back I lost the ability to play videos. The
: problem is independent of the player. For example, it
: the same for real player, media player, and quicktime.
:
: Videos that onced played now just show up as a black
: screen. I can hear the sound, but the video is black.
:
: I have Windows XP professional.
:
: Any Ideas where to start?
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:43:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

hi cari,
the file extension is .asf
my files are still on the sd card in the digital camera.
there are files on the sd card before < the video's are numbered
sequentially> and after the file that only has audio.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *
Don't just live life.
Live life well.


"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:o DzNIWohEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: What are the file extensions of the videos?
:
: What happened during the time period between when these files played
: correctly and now?
:
: --
: Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
: www.coribright.com
:
: "Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:95bc01c48653$4e5f4310$a501280a@phx.gbl...
: >
: >
: > Some time back I lost the ability to play videos. The
: > problem is independent of the player. For example, it
: > the same for real player, media player, and quicktime.
: >
: > Videos that onced played now just show up as a black
: > screen. I can hear the sound, but the video is black.
: >
: > I have Windows XP professional.
: >
: > Any Ideas where to start?
:
:
August 21, 2004 12:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I wish I knew. It could have been something that adaware
caused or it could have been the install of Intervideo
Winproducer or microsoft movie maker. I'm not really
sure has I do not watch a lot of videos on my PC, so when
I discovered it, as much as a month could have gone by.
I just ran a test just to make sure I was clear on the
facts:

All formats show up black in Media player
All .avi formats result in errors with Media PLayer,
Quicktime and realplayer

..mov and .qt play correctly in realplayer and Quicktime

I just dont know where to start




>-----Original Message-----
>What are the file extensions of the videos?
>
>What happened during the time period between when these
files played
>correctly and now?
>
>--
>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging &
Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
>
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:58:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

AVI files can be compresed or uncompressed. An uncompressed AVI will take
up approximately 12gb of hard drive space per hour.....so you probably won't
find many online - and if you did, you probably wouldn't try downloading
them.

So we come to the conclusion that the AVI file you want to play is
compressed... and in order to be able to play it, you need to know which
particular codec it is compressed with.

Happily someone wrote something that will help
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Let G-Spot analyze the AVI and once you know which codec encoded and
compressed the file, you can download them, install them and the file will
play.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:337b01c48790$20bf60f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>
> I wish I knew. It could have been something that adaware
> caused or it could have been the install of Intervideo
> Winproducer or microsoft movie maker. I'm not really
> sure has I do not watch a lot of videos on my PC, so when
> I discovered it, as much as a month could have gone by.
> I just ran a test just to make sure I was clear on the
> facts:
>
> All formats show up black in Media player
> All .avi formats result in errors with Media PLayer,
> Quicktime and realplayer
>
> .mov and .qt play correctly in realplayer and Quicktime
>
> I just dont know where to start
>
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>What are the file extensions of the videos?
>>
>>What happened during the time period between when these
> files played
>>correctly and now?
>>
>>--
>>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging &
> Hardware)
>>www.coribright.com
>>
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 1:02:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Try copying it to the hard drive..... asf is usually a link to a streamed
video (active streaming format), I haven't seen it in a hardware device
before. You might try renaming the extension to wmv once it's on your hard
drive and see if Windows Media Player can handle it correctly then.
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=asf&goButton...
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
news:uucDtr1hEHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> hi cari,
> the file extension is .asf
> my files are still on the sd card in the digital camera.
> there are files on the sd card before < the video's are numbered
> sequentially> and after the file that only has audio.
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.
>
>
> "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> news:o DzNIWohEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> : What are the file extensions of the videos?
> :
> : What happened during the time period between when these files played
> : correctly and now?
> :
> : --
> : Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> : www.coribright.com
> :
> : "Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : news:95bc01c48653$4e5f4310$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> : >
> : >
> : > Some time back I lost the ability to play videos. The
> : > problem is independent of the player. For example, it
> : > the same for real player, media player, and quicktime.
> : >
> : > Videos that onced played now just show up as a black
> : > screen. I can hear the sound, but the video is black.
> : >
> : > I have Windows XP professional.
> : >
> : > Any Ideas where to start?
> :
> :
>
>
August 22, 2004 3:50:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Cari,

> An uncompressed AVI will take
> up approximately 12gb of hard drive space per hour.....

Sorry for the intrusion but I have seen this statement of yours in reply to
many other messages... and it has been bugging me for a while. May I ask why
do you consider that uncompressed AVi file would take only 12gb per hour ?

I suspect you are referring to DV AVI files which take up about that size.
However DV AVI is a compressed file format and on top of that it is a
"lossy" file format.


The true uncompressed avi as in "Unocmpressed RGB" using null codec would
result in huge file sizes which can be calculated as follows:

One RGB pixel = 24bits = 3bytes
For an NTSC movie of 720x480 @ 30fps
A single frame would take = 3x720x480 = 1036800 bytes = 0.988 Mb
One hour of movie would take = 3600*30*0.988 Mb = 104.284 Gb
(assuming 1024bytes=1Kb, 1024Kb=1Mb, 1024Mb=1Gb)

Which is about 8 times the DV-AVI file size (13Gb/hour)... Calculation for
PAL is no different.

Please correct me if there is any error in above assumptions/calculations.


--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker






"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:eWVSIf5hEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> AVI files can be compresed or uncompressed. An uncompressed AVI will take
> up approximately 12gb of hard drive space per hour.....so you probably
> won't
> find many online - and if you did, you probably wouldn't try downloading
> them.
>
> So we come to the conclusion that the AVI file you want to play is
> compressed... and in order to be able to play it, you need to know which
> particular codec it is compressed with.
>
> Happily someone wrote something that will help
> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
>
> Let G-Spot analyze the AVI and once you know which codec encoded and
> compressed the file, you can download them, install them and the file will
> play.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:337b01c48790$20bf60f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>>
>> I wish I knew. It could have been something that adaware
>> caused or it could have been the install of Intervideo
>> Winproducer or microsoft movie maker. I'm not really
>> sure has I do not watch a lot of videos on my PC, so when
>> I discovered it, as much as a month could have gone by.
>> I just ran a test just to make sure I was clear on the
>> facts:
>>
>> All formats show up black in Media player
>> All .avi formats result in errors with Media PLayer,
>> Quicktime and realplayer
>>
>> .mov and .qt play correctly in realplayer and Quicktime
>>
>> I just dont know where to start
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>What are the file extensions of the videos?
>>>
>>>What happened during the time period between when these
>> files played
>>>correctly and now?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging &
>> Hardware)
>>>www.coribright.com
>>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:31:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

hi cari,

windows media player will play other asf files that i have.
this one seems to be corrupt.
i renamed it to wmv while on my hard drive and still no luck.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *
Don't just live life.
Live life well.


"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:eS7H4g5hEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: Try copying it to the hard drive..... asf is usually a link to a streamed
: video (active streaming format), I haven't seen it in a hardware device
: before. You might try renaming the extension to wmv once it's on your
hard
: drive and see if Windows Media Player can handle it correctly then.
: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=asf&goButton...
: --
: Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
: www.coribright.com
:
: "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: news:uucDtr1hEHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > hi cari,
: > the file extension is .asf
: > my files are still on the sd card in the digital camera.
: > there are files on the sd card before < the video's are numbered
: > sequentially> and after the file that only has audio.
: > any help would be greatly appreciated.
: >
: > --
: > Indera
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: > Don't just live life.
: > Live life well.
: >
: >
: > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
: > news:o DzNIWohEHA.1972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : What are the file extensions of the videos?
: > :
: > : What happened during the time period between when these files played
: > : correctly and now?
: > :
: > : --
: > : Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
: > : www.coribright.com
: > :
: > : "Bruce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > : news:95bc01c48653$4e5f4310$a501280a@phx.gbl...
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > Some time back I lost the ability to play videos. The
: > : > problem is independent of the player. For example, it
: > : > the same for real player, media player, and quicktime.
: > : >
: > : > Videos that onced played now just show up as a black
: > : > screen. I can hear the sound, but the video is black.
: > : >
: > : > I have Windows XP professional.
: > : >
: > : > Any Ideas where to start?
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:10:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

>One hour of movie would take = 3600*30*0.988 Mb = 104.284 Gb
>(assuming 1024bytes=1Kb, 1024Kb=1Mb, 1024Mb=1Gb)
>
>Which is about 8 times the DV-AVI file size (13Gb/hour)... Calculation for
>PAL is no different.
>
>Please correct me if there is any error in above assumptions/calculations.

The Huffy codec can compress the AVI losslessly; I think it compresses
even better than DV-AVI.
November 20, 2008 8:59:36 AM

thing is iv been having this problem for a while
it doesn't matter what the movie type or anything they just wont play
i continually get a black screen but audio unaffected
after i updated to xp sp3 WMA now shows all my vids in white black and grey with a few color changes here and there
if i switch my VLC player to open GL vlc can play all the vids no problem with no errors
i have about every codec ever made on my pc so i know its not a codec issue
if i play a game that has a video file in it as a cut scene the cut scene loads but all you hear is audio and a black screen for vid
i have a
gate way laptop
amd turion 64 X2 Mobile
technology TL-50
1.60 GHz (per processor) 1gig of ram
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
version 2002
service pack 3
full updated
i have also fully updated and even rolled back my drives it doesn't matter what i do it seems to be stuck like this if i dont use VLC
!