Will HL2 run if I upgrade my videocard?

Last response: in Video Games
April 29, 2005 5:16:32 AM

I'm running pretty old hardware:

CPU: Athlon XP 1600+ 1.4Ghz
Memory: 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Mobo: Iwill KK266Plus
Videocard: ATI Radeon 64MB VIVO (Radeon 7000 series)

I'm trying to eke another year or so out of this machine before building a
new one. If I upgrade the videocard, Will Half Life 2 be playable at all,
at any resolution? I was thinking of getting a Radeon 9600XT. Or will my
snail-slow PC133 RAM just be too slow no matter what? Should I just wait
for the X-Box port instead?

Thanks,
Tom
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:16:33 AM

I ran 1024 MB of SDRAM 133 with HL2 on High setting for a while with an
AMD XP 2400 and a 5900XT.

It played, ut I suggest upping to 1 gig.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in news:vZfce.26198$Ow2.11185
@fe06.lga:

> I ran 1024 MB of SDRAM 133 with HL2 on High setting for a while with an
> AMD XP 2400 and a 5900XT.
>
> It played, ut I suggest upping to 1 gig.

Thanks! I guess even with more memory I might not make the High setting
(is there a Medium? Or is it just High and Low?), as my processor and
proposed video card are slower than yours, but it's probably worth it to up
the memory if I'm gonna hang onto this for a little while longer.

Tom
April 29, 2005 8:48:40 PM

I have almost the same configuration, and I played HL2 without problem, but
only in 800*600 resolution
AMD XP1800 - 512MO DDR-SDRAM
Good game!

Jean-Pascal

"Tom Trombone" <thetrombones_remove_this_@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in news:vZfce.26198$Ow2.11185
> @fe06.lga:
>
>> I ran 1024 MB of SDRAM 133 with HL2 on High setting for a while with an
>> AMD XP 2400 and a 5900XT.
>>
>> It played, ut I suggest upping to 1 gig.
>>

> Thanks! I guess even with more memory I might not make the High setting
> (is there a Medium? Or is it just High and Low?), as my processor and
> proposed video card are slower than yours, but it's probably worth it to
> up
> the memory if I'm gonna hang onto this for a little while longer.
>
> Tom
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:44:33 AM

"Jean-Pascal" <despierresNOSPAM@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> I have almost the same configuration, and I played HL2 without
> problem, but only in 800*600 resolution
> AMD XP1800 - 512MO DDR-SDRAM
> Good game!
>
> Jean-Pascal
>
> "Tom Trombone" <thetrombones_remove_this_@verizon.net> wrote in
> message news:Xns9646E150D70F1thetrombonesverizonn@130.81.64.196...
>> Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in news:vZfce.26198$Ow2.11185
>> @fe06.lga:
>>
>>> I ran 1024 MB of SDRAM 133 with HL2 on High setting for a while
>>> with an AMD XP 2400 and a 5900XT.
>>>
>>> It played, ut I suggest upping to 1 gig.
>>>

>> Thanks! I guess even with more memory I might not make the High
>> setting (is there a Medium? Or is it just High and Low?), as my
>> processor and proposed video card are slower than yours, but it's
>> probably worth it to up
>> the memory if I'm gonna hang onto this for a little while longer.
>>
>> Tom

I started HL2 off playing it on a P4-3Ghz with FX5900, and it did great
in 1024x768.
McG.
April 30, 2005 1:41:19 PM

> I'm running pretty old hardware:
>
> CPU: Athlon XP 1600+ 1.4Ghz
> Memory: 512MB PC133 SDRAM
> Mobo: Iwill KK266Plus
> Videocard: ATI Radeon 64MB VIVO (Radeon 7000 series)
>
> I'm trying to eke another year or so out of this machine before building a
> new one. If I upgrade the videocard, Will Half Life 2 be playable at all,
> at any resolution? I was thinking of getting a Radeon 9600XT. Or will my
> snail-slow PC133 RAM just be too slow no matter what? Should I just wait
> for the X-Box port instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

It should be playable at 800x600 medium settings with a Geforce4 ti or 9600
in there.
The memory depends on the rest of your system - if your running Win98/ME and
a lean
system you'll be fine - if youre running XP with dozens of programs in your
systray then you wont.
!