IDE ATA133 cables - whats the max recommended cable length?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 11, 2005 4:14:04 PM

Hi

Ive seen 0.9metre cables available for sale.

I thought 0.45m is longest one should use to ensure reliable data integrity.

I'd be interested in your experience using cables over 0.45m

Thanks

Ian
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 11, 2005 6:12:45 PM

Previously Ian Roberts <sorry@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi

> Ive seen 0.9metre cables available for sale.

> I thought 0.45m is longest one should use to ensure reliable data integrity.

> I'd be interested in your experience using cables over 0.45m

60cm: Problems with CD-writer, 90cm problems with everything.
I use some cut down to single connector cables, 60cm -> 45cm
and 90cm -> 60cm. The second works well with HDDs, but not with
my CD-writer.

The CD-Writer (TEAC CD-W540E) problems were exclusively on
writing were I would get some wrong bits on the wriotten CD
(not defect bits, the writer just wrote the wrong data).

Arno
February 11, 2005 8:05:06 PM

Even if longer (than standard allows) cable works for me, how do you know if
it is going to work for you? That is because all other factors (than just
cable length) start to play more crucial roles.

!