RAID 0 vs Raptor

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 11, 2005 12:50:49 PM

can anyone recommend one over the other:

RAID 0 configuration with 2 80GB 7200 rpm SATA Deskstars

or

1 10000 rpm 72GB WD Raptor

i'm building a gaming machine and am looking for performance rather
than saving data. thanks for looking.

jrock

More about : raid raptor

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 12, 2005 2:24:37 AM

Previously jerel@rockbaby.com wrote:
> can anyone recommend one over the other:

> RAID 0 configuration with 2 80GB 7200 rpm SATA Deskstars

> or

> 1 10000 rpm 72GB WD Raptor

> i'm building a gaming machine and am looking for performance rather
> than saving data. thanks for looking.

I would go for 2 x 80GB in RAID1 but stay away from the "death"stars!
In gaming HDD speed is not your bottleneck.

Arno
a b G Storage
February 18, 2005 10:33:31 AM

Hello, jerel@rockbaby.com!
You wrote on 11 Feb 2005 09:50:49 -0800:

j> can anyone recommend one over the other:

j> RAID 0 configuration with 2 80GB 7200 rpm SATA Deskstars

j> or

j> 1 10000 rpm 72GB WD Raptor

j> i'm building a gaming machine and am looking for performance rather
j> than saving data. thanks for looking.

j> jrock

I have a similar question. Differences:

My drives are 80gb 7200 Maxtor IDE's for the RAID0 and I am not a gaming
enthusiast but do like a VERY responsive PC when I open large programs or
files.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 18, 2005 11:21:22 AM

On 11 Feb 2005 23:24:37 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>I would go for 2 x 80GB in RAID1 but stay away from the "death"stars!
>In gaming HDD speed is not your bottleneck.
>

>Arno

I wouldn't even bother with RAID. Just buy the biggest whopping
7200rpm HDD you can afford. Games are huge these days. Tests have
shown that RAID performance in gaming is negligible.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 18, 2005 11:21:48 PM

Previously Chris Klink <Klink@here.noemail> wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2005 23:24:37 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>I would go for 2 x 80GB in RAID1 but stay away from the "death"stars!
>>In gaming HDD speed is not your bottleneck.
>>

>>Arno

> I wouldn't even bother with RAID. Just buy the biggest whopping
> 7200rpm HDD you can afford. Games are huge these days. Tests have
> shown that RAID performance in gaming is negligible.

That was RAID1 not for speed but for reliability ;-)

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 19, 2005 2:30:19 AM

On 18 Feb 2005 20:21:48 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>That was RAID1 not for speed but for reliability ;-)
>
>Arno

Gamers don't care about that. Heheh.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 19, 2005 12:26:52 PM

Chris Klink wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2005 20:21:48 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>That was RAID1 not for speed but for reliability ;-)
>>
>>Arno
>
> Gamers don't care about that. Heheh.

Well, except that reinstalling everything after a crash interrupts their
gaming. Considering that some go to LAN parties and the like, a redundant
disk system is not a bad idea in a gaming machine--in fact one with a
removable tray so you can leave a spare at home might not be too far
off-base.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:26:52 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Well, except that reinstalling everything after a crash interrupts their
>gaming. Considering that some go to LAN parties and the like, a redundant
>disk system is not a bad idea in a gaming machine--in fact one with a
>removable tray so you can leave a spare at home might not be too far
>off-base.

Yea, I was using the removable tray system for a while but ended up
building a second PC so needed the extra HDD's and am no longer using
the caddy system. I was running three OS's on the caddy system (XP,
Win98SE and Linux). On this particular PC I have two HDD's one 160gb
and one 80gb which gives me a fair amount of space for games. I just
installed Chronicles of Riddick last night which took up over 4gb of
space. I believe that's the largest game I've seen so far, 1gb is just
cut scenes. Excellent looking graphics in this game I must say.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 20, 2005 12:51:43 AM

Previously Chris Klink <Klink@here.noemail> wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2005 20:21:48 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>That was RAID1 not for speed but for reliability ;-)
>>
>>Arno

> Gamers don't care about that. Heheh.

I am a gamer and I emphatically don't want to loose my
set-up and my saved games for those that are not online....

After all I don't want to "play" reinstallation. It lacks
in almost every entertainment aspect, except being long ;-)

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 20, 2005 12:51:44 AM

On 19 Feb 2005 21:51:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>I am a gamer and I emphatically don't want to loose my
>set-up and my saved games for those that are not online....
>
>After all I don't want to "play" reinstallation. It lacks
>in almost every entertainment aspect, except being long ;-)
>
>Arno

Yea, I can see your logic but to me you are wasting a ton of space
that could be used to install more games on. I'll just take the risk
and hope for the best.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 20, 2005 12:56:48 AM

Trinity wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2005 21:51:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>I am a gamer and I emphatically don't want to loose my
>>set-up and my saved games for those that are not online....
>>
>>After all I don't want to "play" reinstallation. It lacks
>>in almost every entertainment aspect, except being long ;-)
>>
>>Arno
>
> Yea, I can see your logic but to me you are wasting a ton of space
> that could be used to install more games on. I'll just take the risk
> and hope for the best.

Disks are cheap, time is irreplaceable.

--
--John