DVD+RW or DVD RAM

I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.

What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?

What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?

Thanks.

Paul Maskell wrote:

> I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
>
> What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
>
> What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?

DVD-RAM major advantage is that it's designed specifically to be used as a
data storage medium and so works reliably when treated as just another
disk. It's major disadvantage is that the media is expensive compared with
DVD+RW.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Paul Maskell wrote:

> I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
>
> What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
>
> What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?
>
> Thanks.

Hello, Paul:

I own the similar GSA-4120B and haven't installed it, yet. Meanwhile, my
Panasonic SW-9571 can read/write DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

In any case (pun intended), DVD-RAM is the obvious choice, where storage
is concerned. It boasts superior error-correction capabilities (for
data), and more convenience, as the disc can be accessed as readily
as a hard drive or floppy. (That is, unlike other DVD formats, DVD-RAM
requires no "packet writing" software, in order to achieve its HDD
functionality.)

Conversely, DVD-RAM has very sparse compatibility with the vast majority
of DVD players and recorders (both stand-alone models and PC-based
ones). Panasonic and a mere handful of additional manufacturers have
been its only backers, thus far.

Therefore, if this is an issue for you, personally, DVD+RW would be the
better option, in most instances. I, myself, tend to favor DVD-RAM, as
my Panasonic DMR-E50P stand-alone recorder uses it (along with DVD-R),
but, not DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD+R.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Jun 16, 2004

What do you plan to do with it?

What is said here is for amusement
purposes only. Any opinions expressed
are promised only to waste space on
your hard disk. ~Q **********
*******************
"Paul Maskell" <paul@maskell17.plus.com> wrote in message
> I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
>
> What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
>
> What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?
>
> Thanks.

Jun 16, 2004

Isn't DVD-RAM also out dated??

Q wrote:

> Isn't DVD-RAM also out dated??

In what way? There's nothing else that quite does the same job. Just wish
they were more popular so the media cost would come down.

> What is said here is for amusement
> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> are promised only to waste space on
> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> *******************
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Paul Maskell wrote:
>>
>> > I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
>> >
>> > What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
>> >
>> > What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?
>>
>> DVD-RAM major advantage is that it's designed specifically to be used as
>> a data storage medium and so works reliably when treated as just another
>> disk. It's major disadvantage is that the media is expensive compared
> with
>> DVD+RW.
>>

>> > Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.

"Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> Isn't DVD-RAM also out dated??

SNIP

Piers James wrote:

> Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
> doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
> upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.

Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that will
merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish enough
people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.

--

J. Clarke wrote:
> Piers James wrote:
>

>>Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
>>doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
>>upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.
>

> Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that will
> merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish enough
> people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.

Which burners out there can also burn DVD-RAM? The most of them I see
out there are DVD+/- only, with more of them also having dual-layer
(which is a form of DVD+ anyways).

Yousuf Khan

At least LG GSA-4163B

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Piers James wrote:
>>

>>>Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
>>>doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
>>>upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.
>>

>> Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that
>> will
>> merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish
>> enough people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.
>
> Which burners out there can also burn DVD-RAM? The most of them I see
> out there are DVD+/- only, with more of them also having dual-layer
> (which is a form of DVD+ anyways).

Just about all of the multimode LGs handle DVD-RAM, including the one in my
cheap laptop.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

My LG 4160B does :) One of the main reasons I bought it.