DVD+RW or DVD RAM

I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.

What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?

What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?

Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Paul Maskell wrote:

    > I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
    >
    > What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
    >
    > What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?

    DVD-RAM major advantage is that it's designed specifically to be used as a
    data storage medium and so works reliably when treated as just another
    disk. It's major disadvantage is that the media is expensive compared with
    DVD+RW.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Paul Maskell wrote:

    > I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
    >
    > What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
    >
    > What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hello, Paul:

    I own the similar GSA-4120B and haven't installed it, yet. Meanwhile, my
    Panasonic SW-9571 can read/write DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

    In any case (pun intended), DVD-RAM is the obvious choice, where storage
    is concerned. It boasts superior error-correction capabilities (for
    data), and more convenience, as the disc can be accessed as readily
    as a hard drive or floppy. (That is, unlike other DVD formats, DVD-RAM
    requires no "packet writing" software, in order to achieve its HDD
    functionality.)

    Conversely, DVD-RAM has very sparse compatibility with the vast majority
    of DVD players and recorders (both stand-alone models and PC-based
    ones). Panasonic and a mere handful of additional manufacturers have
    been its only backers, thus far.

    Therefore, if this is an issue for you, personally, DVD+RW would be the
    better option, in most instances. I, myself, tend to favor DVD-RAM, as
    my Panasonic DMR-E50P stand-alone recorder uses it (along with DVD-R),
    but, not DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD+R.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    What do you plan to do with it?

    What is said here is for amusement
    purposes only. Any opinions expressed
    are promised only to waste space on
    your hard disk. ~Q **********
    *******************
    "Paul Maskell" <paul@maskell17.plus.com> wrote in message
    > I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
    >
    > What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
    >
    > What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Isn't DVD-RAM also out dated??

    Q wrote:

    > Isn't DVD-RAM also out dated??

    In what way? There's nothing else that quite does the same job. Just wish
    they were more popular so the media cost would come down.

    > What is said here is for amusement
    > purposes only. Any opinions expressed
    > are promised only to waste space on
    > your hard disk. ~Q **********
    > *******************
    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Paul Maskell wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm the proud owner of a new LG GSA 4163 drive.
    >> >
    >> > What type of DVD media is best to use? DVD+RW or DVD RAM?
    >> >
    >> > What advantanges and disadvantages are there to either media?
    >>
    >> DVD-RAM major advantage is that it's designed specifically to be used as
    >> a data storage medium and so works reliably when treated as just another
    >> disk. It's major disadvantage is that the media is expensive compared
    > with
    >> DVD+RW.
    >>

    >> > Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
    doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
    upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.

    "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't DVD-RAM also out dated??

    SNIP

    Piers James wrote:

    > Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
    > doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
    > upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.

    Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that will
    merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish enough
    people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.

    --

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > Piers James wrote:
    >

    >>Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
    >>doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
    >>upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.
    >

    > Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that will
    > merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish enough
    > people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.

    Which burners out there can also burn DVD-RAM? The most of them I see
    out there are DVD+/- only, with more of them also having dual-layer
    (which is a form of DVD+ anyways).

    Yousuf Khan

    At least LG GSA-4163B

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> Piers James wrote:
    >>

    >>>Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
    >>>doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
    >>>upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.
    >>

    >> Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that
    >> will
    >> merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish
    >> enough people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.
    >
    > Which burners out there can also burn DVD-RAM? The most of them I see
    > out there are DVD+/- only, with more of them also having dual-layer
    > (which is a form of DVD+ anyways).

    Just about all of the multimode LGs handle DVD-RAM, including the one in my
    cheap laptop.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    My LG 4160B does :-) One of the main reasons I bought it.

    "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> Piers James wrote:
    >>

    >>>Don't think so. AFAIK, DVD-RAM is technically the superior format, but
    >>>doesn't seem to have the support. A bit like Betamax versus VHS and the
    >>>upcoming Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD battle we can all look forward too.
    >>

    >> Except that it's not mutually exclusive. Lot of drives out there that
    >> will
    >> merrily read and write DVD+/-, dual layer, _and_ DVD-RAM. Just wish
    >> enough
    >> people would _use_ it to get the price of the media down.
    >
    > Which burners out there can also burn DVD-RAM? The most of them I see out
    > there are DVD+/- only, with more of them also having dual-layer (which is
    > a form of DVD+ anyways).
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

DVD RAM Storage