Slow txfer rate on LAN..why?

I have a PC, P3 600 XP SP2, on my home LAN that when it does a backup to a
network harddrive on the LAN, it only outputs data at about 10megbits/s or
about 10% of the LAN utilization and 100% CPU utilization. This is with no
other activity on the LAN. And this is doing drive image backups using
Norton Ghost 9.0. Alo

2 other PCs P4 3Ghz XP SP2, when doing the same backup operate at about
30megbits/s or about 30% of LAN capacity and less then 50% CPU utilization.

I have even swapped out the LAN card and set it for 100 duplex and still not
change.

Is there something I can do to improve the LAN transfer rate from the 1 PC?

Is it just that it take so much processing power to send ethernet data that
its slower CPU cant put out data like the other 2 faster P4s?.

If so, It surprizes me that it utilizes so much CPU cycles.

thanks for any insight

jtsnow <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a PC, P3 600 XP SP2, on my home LAN that when it does a backup to a
> network harddrive on the LAN, it only outputs data at about 10megbits/s or
> about 10% of the LAN utilization and 100% CPU utilization. This is with no
> other activity on the LAN. And this is doing drive image backups using Norton
> Ghost 9.0. Alo 2 other PCs P4 3Ghz XP SP2, when doing the same backup
> operate at about 30
> megbits/s or about 30% of LAN capacity and less then 50% CPU utilization.

> I have even swapped out the LAN card and set it for 100 duplex and still not
> change.

> Is there something I can do to improve the LAN transfer rate from the 1 PC?

> Is it just that it take so much processing power to send ethernet data that
> its slower CPU cant put out data like the other 2 faster P4s?.

More likely its the compression thats taking the cpu horsepower.

What are you specifying for the compression ? Try the alternatives.