ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

I have just purchased a Argosy - HD363N Network Storage Enclosure and
put in my Maxtor 200 gig drive.

This Enclosure connects to your router by RJ45 and allows adding
Network storage cheaply.

It supports Fat16, Fat32.

The problems I am having:

1) When the drive wakes up after being unsed for a while it does not
allways connect properly and needs to be restarted.

2) I copied all the files I needed to the drive and have just used
applications that READ only from the drive but do not write and now I
have files that are corrupted.

Is anyone using this Network Enclosure?
Are you having any of these problems?

Bob Valentino
78 answers Last reply
More about argosy hd363n network storage

    BobVal wrote:
    > I have just purchased a Argosy - HD363N Network Storage Enclosure and
    > put in my Maxtor 200 gig drive.
    >
    > This Enclosure connects to your router by RJ45 and allows adding
    > Network storage cheaply.
    >
    > It supports Fat16, Fat32.
    >
    > The problems I am having:
    >
    > 1) When the drive wakes up after being unsed for a while it does not
    > allways connect properly and needs to be restarted.
    >
    > 2) I copied all the files I needed to the drive and have just used
    > applications that READ only from the drive but do not write and now I
    > have files that are corrupted.
    >

    > Is anyone using this Network Enclosure?
    > Are you having any of these problems?
    >
    > Bob Valentino

    Hey BobVal, I have one too and am not having any problems yet at all. I
    have a couple of gigs of files on there, lots of pictures(they are
    being indexed no problem by google's Picasa2) and I'm even serving
    about 12 gigs of MP3s to my audiotron(the discovery of songs doesn't
    work properly, but if you manually create a TOC it works fine).

    I would tend to think that the waking up problem is probably DHCP
    related. The device can act as HCP server and client I believe, so
    check to see what you have enabled, or better yet just use static(that
    is how I have mine).I am pretty sure this device uses smb to share
    folders.

    There is also a telnet server on the device. Use Putty if you are on
    windows and use the same admin and password you configured through the
    web interface to login. Quite a few commands available and you can
    really configure the thing from the telnet line if you want to. Just
    type help after you are logged in to get a complete command reference.

    I love this device so far and am very interested in hacking around with
    it, specifically understanding the OS. Here is a pic of the board in it
    if you are interested(warning, pretty large picture)

    http://www.bradandsasha.com/images/HD-363N_Board.jpg

    Good Luck

    Brandy47:

    I am not using the DHCP Server option
    I was using the Automatic IP option will try Static IP

    Thanks

    BobVal

    I have purchassed two of these units and am having the same issues
    with both. I have tried several different hard disk drives in them
    to see if perhaps it was a drive issue. Also when opening a file
    from the drive and then trying to save it back, it tells me that I
    can not save it back to the drive as there isa lready a file with
    that name and it can not be over written. Attempting to do backups
    to this deveice also gives me Windows write cache errors and stops
    the backup.

    Here is a good one for you, I cannot use WINXP-HOME with sp2 and all
    the latest updates with this device. When I try to create a new
    folder (right click add folder) in the shared directory (in Network
    Nieghborhood) the window hangs and says UNABLE TO CREATE "New Folder"
    THE FILE ALREADY EXISTS.

    And all the files I did copy over are READ-ONLY.

    The twist to all of this, is that the LINUX and MAC computers that are
    using SMB hae no problems at all!!

    Have been working with Argosy about the issue with the HD363N and have
    received a firmware upgrade that has fixed the problem. I have
    upgraded my firmware on all of my units and all are working fine.

    If you are interested in the firmware I will gladly email it to you if
    you contact me: rick@cbaycomputers.com or rick@jarenterprises.com

    I too have a couple of these devices and see some wierd lockups on my
    main PC, and no issues on 2 others.

    I also have some questions around the FTP server, as I cannot get that
    to work. More on that when I solve the lockup issue.

    What backup software is supposed to come with this, as the the specs
    at pcmicrostore indiate it should have shipped with some.....

    Rick, I have emailed you directly for the firmware file.

    Regards

    Mark

    Runnig XP-Pro SP2 on all machines.
    athlon XP2000 server - has lockups when accessig the device at the
    directory level.
    Toshiba Tecra Laptop - has no issues with the device
    Shuttle SK43G - has no issues with the device

    I have tried the new firmware, and tried to reformat the hard disk.
    The reformat only took a few seconds, is this normal for a 250GB disk
    ?

    I would expect a disk to be formatted in Fat32 to take much longer.
    The drive was not formatted before use in the HD363N. It was a new
    disk.

    I look forward to any pointers.

    Mark

    Just a quick update, the firmware update has not solved my main server
    from hanging when trying to view files located in the public
    directory.

    This box is going back unless I can get it working with the main
    server !

    Mark

    FWIW, I've been having similar issues with Argosy. In the process of
    troubleshooting, I noticed that the IDE cable it shipped with was a
    standard 40wire/40pin cable (i.e. ATA-33). I swapped out this cable
    with an 80wire/40pin (ATA-66/100/133) cable and so-far, so good!
    YMMV, of course, but something to try.

    Argosy's HD-363 product page:
    http://www.argosyusa.net/product.asp?product_name=HD363N

    And new Firmware as of 25 Mar 2005 :)
    http://www.argosyusa.net/driver/Argosy-NetHDD004-0317.zip

    I just got one of these too and it seems to be working well so far,
    except for one hiccup. Does anyone know if it's possible to enable
    support for Unicode filenames? I can create files and folders with
    Unicode filenames, but I cannot access the newly created file or
    folder afterwards.

    The device has stabilised since I have applied later firmware updates.
    Has anyone managed to get any software application to use the drive ?

    I am interested in un-attended backups for devices on the network,
    rather than me keep ftp'ing stuff.

    Mark

    > ukcobrawrote:
    The device has stabilised since I have applied later firmware
    updates. Has anyone managed to get any software application to use
    the drive ?

    > I am interested in un-attended backups for devices on the network,
    rather than me keep ftp'ing stuff.

    > Mark

    Hi Mark, I haven't done any of this yet, since I had some issues a
    couple of days after I had posted above. I now believe that the
    problems I had can be attributed to the 160GB Maxtor hard drive I was
    trying to use. I switched to a 120GB Samsung and to a 200GB Western
    Digital and haven't had *any* issues (knock on wood).

    Depending upon which platform and software you're using, you should be
    able to create a persistent connection to the Argosy which your backup
    software could use. Alternatively some backup software (e.g.
    Retrospect) will support backing up directly to FTP servers.

    I am using this device as a mapped drive to my server and using Stomps
    Backup MyPC Version 5 software to do scheduled backups nightly. Have
    not had any issues with this since upgrading the unit to the latest
    Firmware.

    Hello:

    I have been having some problems with the Argosy Network Drive and I
    think I figured out why.

    The Argosy Network Drive uses FAT for it's file system, FAT uses a
    FIXED Allocation Block size for files. I have a 200 gig drive in there
    and for FAT to reference it all it MUST use 32K as the file allocation
    size.

    Now I have been trying to copy 11,128 files that take up 92 gig to this
    drive. The drive I am copying from is using NTFS which uses variable
    file allocation size.

    The same amount of files copied to the Argosy Network Drive would
    require 300+ gig. Because for each file the Argosy uses 32k. My
    average file size is 8 - 10k but on the Windows XP NTFS, but on the
    Argosy they will all be 32k. Using 3 times as much storage as needed.

    I think I need to find a different solution that uses a variable
    allocation size like NTFS used by windows XP, etc.

    Bob Valentino

    As far as I know that you can call Argosyusa 626-338-2522 to get the
    support on this enclsoure. Or email support@argosyusa.com.
    If you need more of this, I found a cheaper place www.intldirect.com is
    the cheapest!!!

    Loc wrote:
    > I'm new here. There's not too much resources on the web about this
    > device and the documentation is regrettable. This thread seems to be
    > the only resource I can find through google :lol:
    >
    > I just got this and everything worked just fine. I was watching data
    > transfer speeds in Windows task manager and the fastest was around
    > 50% of my 100mbps network for a cd ISO image. It was 30% for my
    > smaller random files I was backing up.
    >
    > Is there something slowing my data transfer speed? When I transfer
    > files from one computer to another across the network I'm getting
    > about 85% readings.
    >
    > I'm familar with *nix commands but this isn't quite the same. Is
    there
    > documentation on the commands used in this device?

    I'm new here. There's not too much resources on the web about this
    device and the documentation is regrettable. This thread seems to be
    the only resource I can find through google :lol:

    I just got this and everything worked just fine. I was watching data
    transfer speeds in Windows task manager and the fastest was around
    50% of my 100mbps network for a cd ISO image. It was 30% for my
    smaller random files I was backing up.

    Is there something slowing my data transfer speed? When I transfer
    files from one computer to another across the network I'm getting
    about 85% readings.

    I'm familar with *nix commands but this isn't quite the same. Is there
    documentation on the commands used in this device?

    Is there any way I can speed up read/write times to the enclosure?
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    The latest firmware has improved the performance of this device
    considerably. This would be NetHDD004-0317. If you need this
    firmware you can download it from our web site jarenterprises.com
    or go to ArgosyUSA.com and find the HD-363N Product and view the
    description which has a link for the current firmware. Do not go to
    downloads or support on the Argosy site as you will not find this
    there.

    Hope this helps.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I already had the latest firmware. Just to make sure I flashed it
    again and it still tops out at 25% in the task manager. Is this the
    current limit fo the enclosure?
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    First, I'm sorry for my english.
    I'm trying the beta firmware.
    I've benn trying other firmwares, and the only that permited working
    fine was the 04-0317.
    My HD comes with NETHD05-0607, and I have the problem of the
    "desconection" from the net.
    First I tried 04-0317 and it's work ok. Then, I'd tried SNAS05-0607
    and I had the error again. I wanted to install other firmware, and
    when I tried it I received a error message. I had to return to
    factory configuration BUT the NAS firmware still here, only changed
    the IP and the Administrator login and pass.
    Finally I installed the beta fw and for now it's all ok.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    OH!! Beta fw worked fine UNTIL now. I received again the same message
    error. I flashed the 04-... fw, and ofr now it's all ok.
    I'm from Catalonia, in Europe. There is a possibility that the devices
    aren't equal in USA than in Europe?
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I just looked at a review on Tom's Networking on the Iomega NAS 200d,
    and it charted some comparisons on write speed amongst several other
    NAS units. I noticed the Tritton unit (same as Argosy) comes in
    third--and the Iomega and the second place charter (Synopsis, or
    something like that--Canadian and Euro only, it seems), barely beat
    out the Tritton/Argosy. I would like to say I thought a previous
    review from Tom's shot down the performance on the unit, but it looks
    like they re-tested. I am now very happy I got the cheapest and
    fastest unit.

    I can't wait until they make it faster, if possible!

    Oh, I looked at their read chart, and they are pretty low still, but I
    think write perfomance is more important--I am BACKING up files and
    STORING files, and reading them is not a big thing for me all the
    time.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    :evil:

    The product is immature. I've been debugging it for months and
    unfortunately I purchased it from an technically challenged and
    obnoxious ebay supplier. I flashed the beta firmware and noted that I
    needed to format the disk for it to be used. But of course formatting
    is not really formatting, perhaps just an initialization of the FAT ?
    The firmware corrupts outlook pst files and times out after copying
    many small files and before it times out the copies get real slow.
    But more good news, the end user documentation leaves a lot to be
    desired. I'd like to know what the telnet commands do and where they
    were programmed (somewhere in China ? using what standards). I have a
    linksys 54G network, about 5 active PC's and the drive is connected
    directly to the router. Stay away from this product.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Using the latest firmware my device appears to behave itself, with a
    250GB Maxtor 16M drive.

    Using Beyond Compare does improve things, although I'd still like to
    see what other softare people use successfully.

    I have no timeouts copying files, or noticed any corruption.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    And what's firmware you use?
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hi,

    I`ve been following the comments here and was wondering how users are
    finding the quality of the BETA firmware? Any issues worth noting?

    I`m in the market for a low cost NAS box so that I can use it to
    automatically backup my Win2K box which itself is being used to
    backup my other PC`s on my home network. Because what I`m backing up
    is so important, I would like to build in redundant backups with this
    HD363N being one of two backup services.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I was almost ready to throw in the towel on my HD363N+300GB Seagate
    since connecting clients via 802.11g wireless is my only option.
    Stock firmware, 04-0317 and 05-0607 versions all caused mid copy
    stalls.

    fixuser's beta firmware has stabilized
    things so I'm writing a 3 GB video file now without a problem. Write
    performance could be better. How are others measuring throughput?

    Thanks for the firmware, fixuser .

    Connected via Linksys WRT54G running Sveasoft Talisman 1.05.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I am using NetHDD005-0607 firmware.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I just tried the beta firmware and all my wireless woes went away!
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hi Guys!

    Thank you all for a very informative thread (espacially fixuser)! I
    bought my HD636N today and have read your thread here and I have
    learnt a lot. Now I have two questions.

    1. My device seem to have firmware version NetHDD005-0601, is this a
    new version? On Argosy's website the download says NetHDD004-0317,
    have they forgotten to update the download?

    2. Where do I get the Beta fw? The link posted here doesn't work any
    more.

    /M
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Maximus:

    Depending on which brand you have (Argosy or Tritton) depends on the
    firmware you can get. Argosy seems slow, and Tritton seems fast. I
    couldn't get the link to work either, so maybe they took it down or
    moved it.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I saw somewhere here in the thread that the fan didn't wind down and
    stop when the drive went to sleep, I just wanted to tell you that
    mine does.

    /M
    (The man who still can't find the Beta fw)
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I've been running the Tritton Beta since I first got it, and it still
    has two issues.

    1) Outlook
    With the Beta, I can access Outlook's PST files, but as
    jliss noted it does tend to corrupt them
    ... requiring repair with the Inbox Repair Tool. Funny thing, I can't
    repair the PST file while it remains on the NAS, I have to copy it to
    a PC, run the repair, and then put it back onto the NAS before it
    will work with Outlook again.
    Besides the file corruption issue, there is also a problem when the
    connection to the NAS (as viewed from Outlook) appears to disconnect,
    generating a system error (can be viewed in the Event Viewer). This
    doesn't seem to cause the file corruption, as even with this error I
    can continue working in Outlook at times.

    2) Moving small directories.
    I've tried lots of test cases with the Beta, moving, copying,
    streaming files and directories. I have no problems expect when
    copying directories from the NAS to a PC. It appears if a directory
    having more than 23-24 files will cause the file transfer to lock up,
    and eventually report that "The specified network name is no longer
    available."
    If I revert back to the 05-0607 firmware, I have no problem with these
    directories.

    winux,
    You mention the type (Tritton, Argosy) of device will determine which
    firmware you can use. I don't know that there is a limitation. I've
    been able to flash all the firmwares we've gotten from both Tritton
    and Argosy onto my NAS.

    Maximus1234,
    Welcome to the discussion. I'm curious about the Argosy 05-0601
    firmware. They had sent me a Beta 05-0607 firmware back in the
    middle of July which appeared VERY similar to the Tritton 05-0607
    firmware release. Can you check if file times and dates are correct
    (not rouned to the nearest minutes, and not 100 years added to files
    before 2000) on your 05-0601 NAS?
    I wasn't sure how long Tritton would leave the Beta firmware available
    on the web, as they had also said they expected to release another
    Beta soon ... say within a couple weeks (I'm waiting patiently).
    But, if you want the 06 Beta, Private Message (PM) me and we can
    setup an email transfer.

    quisoc,
    If you could telnet into your device (see notes I posted earlier in
    this thread), and see what the 'sys' command tells you, we might be
    able to see if the device you receieve in Europe is different from
    those else where. The description of my device said: 000E Speed
    125Mhz

    Lastly, just a curious note about Argosy, every time I send them
    updates on firmware issues, they always report back that they will
    forward the issues onto their staff in Taiwan and keep me posted of
    any new releases. However, the more I checked into Argosy's other
    web sites: Argosy Taiwan,
    Argosy Europe, I see no
    mention of this product, or any support for it. The product only
    seems to appear on the US web site. I'm not sure what this means,
    just found it somewhat odd.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    The Tritton beta is no longer available on their site(the link posted
    by fixuser), but the downloads page still has the old firmware. Does
    anybody know if they're releasing an update? I am definitely having
    the wireless issues. Works fine wired, wireless I get disconnects to
    the NAS but nothing else.

    MC
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I found this at Argosy:
    http://www.argosyusa.net/driver/Argosy-NetHDD006-0804.zip
    The version number is similar to the Tritton beta.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    There is no adding of years with my fw, but the truncating of seconds
    still remain. I transfered a file stamped 1991-06-05 18:55:56 and it
    ended up with the stamp 1991-06-05 18:55:00.

    I tried a couple of other files as well with the same result.

    I am curious about the new fw that popped up here, the
    Argosy-NetHDD006-0804. Has anyone tried it?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > tommiewrote:
    I found this at Argosy:
    > http://www.argosyusa.net/driver/Argosy-NetHDD006-0804.zip
    > The version number is similar to the Tritton beta.

    Does upgrading to this firmware require you to reformat the drive like
    some of the older firmwares?
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I've just finished testing the Argosy 06-0804 firmware for the last
    hour. It appears very, very similar to the Tritton 06-0804 with one
    improvement ... it appears to properly handle the file creation date.
    A previous problem with the firmwares was that the file creation date
    would change when being modified. Tritton had thought it was
    corrected in their 06-0804 beta, but it was not. It appears the
    Argosy version has been updated to no longer change the creation
    date.

    Otherwise, it appears to have all the other improvements the Tritton
    06-0804 beta did. Those include:
    1. Administrator name is updated on the Home Page when changed.
    2. Passwords to Shared Folders now properly monitor for case
    (upper,lower) when mapping a drive and when creating the password.
    3. Files dated before 2000 no longer add 100 years when copied to the
    NAS.
    4. File times are no longer rounded to the minute, they show to the
    second. NOTE: FAT32 file system only tracks file times to an even
    number of seconds, 2 second intervals, so don't be surprised if you
    see a file time of 33 seconds change to 32 or 34 seconds. Anyone
    running backup software should allow for +/- 1 second variation.

    However, this release from Argosy has the same issues I found with the
    beta from Tritton, in that I still have the same issues using it with
    Outlook, and when copying folders with more than 23-24 files from the
    NAS to a PC, it locks up. This issue with the folders is a killer for
    me ... makes it useless for sharing files across the network to other
    machines.

    Also, these two releases from Tritton and Argosy do not allow the FTP
    port to be changed from 21. This was supposed to be an added feature
    of the Tritton 5-0607 release. Argosy never formally released a
    firmware with this feature.

    microchip,
    I've only formatted the drive once. I've moved back and forth between
    all the firmwares and never been required to format the drive again,
    so I can't say for certain, but if you have updated your device to
    use the 5-0607 firmware, and formated the drive I doubt you'll have
    to do it again. With the 5-0607, the default cluster size became 32
    kB (prior to 5-0607 it was an option you could change, now no longer
    an option). I believe all firmwares released after 5-0607 will use
    the 32 kB cluster size, so there shouldn't be a reason for the drive
    to be formatted again.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Finally got my hands on a couple of the Argosy units recently, and I
    think I'm beginning to see where some of the limitations come into
    play.

    SNAS05-0607 (Tritton) is the most recent firmware I've tried so far.

    Simple file copying hasn't been bad, as long as there aren't multiple
    sessions (simultaneous operations) going - even between the NAS box
    and a single client PC. Things can crawl with two or more going
    though.

    Where performance really falls down seems to be random operations and
    rapid short file creation/deletion. I haven't tried PST files yet,
    but Jet ("Access") databases can really crawl, especially on query
    operations against even a small database.

    I haven't experienced data corruption, just some really sad
    performance. Some of this can be moderated by keeping database
    connections open throughout a session instead of using the generally
    more scalable and reliable open-act-close technique. Some
    significant performance (responsiveness) penalty is expected with the
    latter technique of course... but this is ridiculous.

    I attribute most of this to the tiny (or no) disk cache in the NAS box
    along with an SMB implementation no better (or worse?) than SAMBA
    offers. Basically these devices have to be viewed as "tape drives."

    I'd thought people viewing these things as backup devices to be a bit
    unsophisticated. The truth seems to be that this may be the only
    real target application for these machines.

    For comparison I took an old computer here that has a Celeron 400 and
    128MB of RAM, and installed and patched up (as much as I can at this
    point, support being what it is) Windows 95 OSR 2.1 as a dumb file
    server of the type these units represent - share level passwords. I
    stripped out (avoided installing) any protocols but TCP/IP and
    Windows file/print sharing, and did a few disk cache tweaks but
    nothing out of the ordinary.

    To really be fair I probably ought to be using a 486 with 16 MB or
    something... but realistically that's a doorstop today. Almost
    nobody would bother running one, and a machine of the specs I'm
    testing is a nearly free item today as a used computer goes.

    Needless to say, the Win95 box runs rings around the Argosy/Tritton
    box. None of the headaches with Jet either. Response is smooth and
    fast, even with NetMeeting RDS running (as a remote-admin tool). It
    would be trivial to connect a parallel printer and/or a couple of USB
    printers, put in 3 hard drives and an optical drive, etc.

    This is an old slimline Dell Optiplex, and runs cool and quiet -
    though it is obviously more bulky than these tiny NAS devices.
    Windows 95 or 98 are a bit pricier than a Linux/SMB combo for the
    same hardware - but with none of the headaches or quirks.

    I really wanted these things to work. I had high hopes. Right now I
    am having my doubts though. I'll give that beta firmware a shot but
    I suspect the real limitation is the hardware (RAM) available and the
    resulting lack of disk cache.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Trying the Argosy 06-0804 firmware now.

    Still a little sluggish, but much better than prior firmware levels,
    even using a lot of Jet I/O. Significantly improved usability.

    I have to say they are doing something right now. I'll watch for file
    corruption.

    By the way, multiple simultaneous activities seem to operate more
    smoothly as well (i.e. playing an MP3 from the NAS while performing
    Jet operations on an MDB).
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    hI, I am trying to use a program called Allways Sync to keep
    directories in Sync, its free and it works great! However, I bought
    this thing and with the tritton 607 firmware it could never sync,
    with the beta firmware, I now get these errors when trying to copy
    files..... any ideas....

    thanks

    mattp

    8/31/2005 11:38 PM, API call error, Network access is denied.
    (80070041), Error when copying 'E:\libby\My Music\Sample Music.lnk'
    to '\\Homenas\libsbackup\My Music\Sample Music.lnk' using
    intermediate
    '\\Homenas\libsbackup\_sync.app\temp\4016993C70D38F3D73941A6F89C74A8D.tmp'
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    dilettante:

    I believe comparing the NAS to a Windows 95 machine (or any computer)
    can give a false comparison. I investigated the SOHO NAS units on the
    market, and all have between 4 - 16MB memory with a 100Mhz to 175Mhz
    MIPS processor. Plus, the Tritton/Argosy unit is the only one I found
    that is not running a Linux kernal; everyone else (Linksys, Maxtor,
    Buffalo, etc) are.

    I looked at Tom's Hardware Guide, and they have a comparison chart of
    the NAS units they tested. The Tritton/Argosy unit actually
    outperformed their competition; the only NAS to be above them was for
    a mid-size NAS for about $500+.

    I think if speed is important here, then a SOHO NAS device is not the
    best idea. I also think the SOHO NAS is a great choice for those who
    either don't have the technical experience or money to spend on more
    reliable backup solutions.

    mdp1969

    I think it has something to do with the temp filename it is creating.
    It looks like it is a long filename that FAT32 doesn't seem to like.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I did a search for more Argosy products and I came up with a company
    called Inoi (www.inoi.com). I called them and the same person from
    Argosy lifts up the phone. They are the same! However, their website
    offers no help for most of their products; maybe because they are
    new. I wonder why an OEM such as Argosy would want to compete with
    its own business....?

    I like the Tritton people better, though, because they seem to help
    out more. I hope this doesn't affect them in a big way. I called them
    and talked to one of their product managers, asking them if they are
    releasing any other NAS units in the future. They said yes, that they
    have a couple more to fill the SOHO to midrange to server appliance
    gaps. They weren't able to give specs on it, but he made it sound
    like they want it to be faster and more feature rich than their
    current NAS solution.

    I wonder if the above Argosy -- Ioni thing is causing Tritton (and
    maybe others?) to quickly find other solutions....?

    Just more of what I found in my hunt for the perfect NAS....

    I think the latest beta from Tritton (same as Argosy) makes the NAS
    work pretty well. I love it for my needs, and until I find something
    else, I'm staying with it!
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    winux, I go along with pretty much all
    you have said. The one thing I'd disagree with slightly is the
    characterization of NAS in general as a backup solution. However you
    may well be onto something, since that seems to be the application
    most people have in mind when purchasing one. It may also be the
    main use the vendors are targeting.

    It is true that one can only expect so much from a small, inexpensive
    device of this type. I was pleasantly surprised though to find that
    the latest beta firmware I was able to try significantly improves the
    performance of this device in non-backup applications.

    As a matter of fact I'd like to see Tom's repeat their comparison
    benchmarks with this latest firmware, perhaps once a regular release
    version becomes available. I think even their reviewer will be
    favorably impressed.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I really wish they would fix the problem with the xbox browsing. I
    cant browse subfolders within xbmc. Has anyone else experienced
    this? I have 90 gig's of mp3's on this NAS, that cant be played
    through XBMC. :(

    Otherwise, the device has gotten better and better. Im running
    Argosy's latest firmware.
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Sifterwrote:
    I really wish they would fix the problem with the xbox browsing. I
    cant browse subfolders within xbmc. Has anyone else experienced
    this? I have 90 gig's of mp3's on this NAS, that cant be played
    through XBMC. :(

    > Otherwise, the device has gotten better and better. Im running
    Argosy's latest firmware.

    I have the same problem.

    MC
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    HELP FTP!

    How do I create an UPLOAD folder without giving a user general
    ReadWrite permission on all the other folders that they can see. It
    looks like RW/RO permission is set per user and not per user per
    folder, but I may be missing something.

    Thanks
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297019
    Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over
    a WAN link

    This is why the pst files keep getting corrupted.

    if you create a pst file on your local drive, then copy it to the
    network drive. you will be able to open the remote pst file using
    outlook. However the file keeps getting corrupted every now and then
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Kane81 your post's not directed at me, is it :) I have a different
    problem with managing user access to FTP folders for WAN clients

Storage Enclosure