NTLDR Is Missing after moved to new motherboard

I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
but i get the following error message.

NTLDR Is Missing

I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
25 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing moved motherboard

    You can find NTLDR y NTDETECT.COM, into original disk windows 2000,
    copy them.
    but i suggest you, format your disk with the parameters from the new
    pc.

    marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    > the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    > but i get the following error message.
    >
    > NTLDR Is Missing
    >
    > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?

    I don't want to format the hard disk. It is too much work. Any simple
    approach?
    gosl28@hotmail.com wrote:
    > You can find NTLDR y NTDETECT.COM, into original disk windows 2000,
    > copy them.
    > but i suggest you, format your disk with the parameters from the new
    > pc.
    >
    > marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    > > the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    > > but i get the following error message.
    > >
    > > NTLDR Is Missing
    > >
    > > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?

    Boot the Win2K CD, type R when prompted, and run recovery console.

    Run chkdsk and fixboot. If ntldr is still not there, copy it from CD.

    marslee@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I don't want to format the hard disk. It is too much work. Any simple
    > approach?
    > gosl28@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > You can find NTLDR y NTDETECT.COM, into original disk windows 2000,
    > > copy them.
    > > but i suggest you, format your disk with the parameters from the new
    > > pc.
    > >
    > > marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > > I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    > > > the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    > > > but i get the following error message.
    > > >
    > > > NTLDR Is Missing
    > > >
    > > > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?

    Yes - there is a simple approach.

    You've moved the hardware around and it is unlikely Windows will
    magically work with the new motherboard.

    Reinstall Windows, but do a repair install.

    It will retain all your settings and applications, but you will end up
    with a working system.

    If you can't be bothered to do that, move the hard drive back to the
    original computer, or do without a computer.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Yes - there is a simple approach.
    >
    > You've moved the hardware around and it is unlikely Windows will
    > magically work with the new motherboard.

    The error for this is "cannot find boot volume".

    > Reinstall Windows, but do a repair install.
    >
    > It will retain all your settings and applications, but you will end up
    > with a working system.

    Not if the problem is differing CHS geometries. That require the partition
    table be wiped.

    > If you can't be bothered to do that, move the hard drive back to the
    > original computer, or do without a computer.

    Or take advice only from those who know more than you do.

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > Or take advice only from those who know more than you do.

    Why not take the time out to try it yourself?

    Go on, be a devil - broaden your horizons a little.

    Can be quite enlightening - you may well learn something, even though
    you tend to think you know it all already.

    Odie
    --

    > Eric Gisin wrote:

    > > Or take advice only from those who know more than you do.
    >
    > Why not take the time out to try it yourself?
    >
    > Go on, be a devil - broaden your horizons a little.
    >
    > Can be quite enlightening - you may well learn something, even though
    > you tend to think you know it all already.

    It's pretty obvious to most that I provide good advice on boot problems, and
    you provide bad advice on most topics. You are the one who needs to learn a
    lot.

    Perhaps you should start by reading my original post in this thread.

    <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1108345058.781703.101540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
    > I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    > the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    > but i get the following error message.
    >
    > NTLDR Is Missing
    >
    > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?

    As it is usually fixed, by loading the missing driver(s) at bootup.

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Eric Gisin wrote:
    >
    > > > Or take advice only from those who know more than you do.
    > >
    > > Why not take the time out to try it yourself?
    > >
    > > Go on, be a devil - broaden your horizons a little.
    > >
    > > Can be quite enlightening - you may well learn something, even though
    > > you tend to think you know it all already.
    > >
    > It's pretty obvious to most that I provide good advice on boot problems, and
    > you provide bad advice on most topics. You are the one who needs to learn a
    > lot.
    >
    > Perhaps you should start by reading my original post in this thread.

    Your very next post states:

    "Boot the Win2K CD, type R when prompted, and run recovery console.

    Run chkdsk and fixboot. If ntldr is still not there, copy it from CD."

    If your theory about "differing CHS geometries" is true, then how on
    earth will your statement above be of any use?

    Go stand in the corner and keep your finger on your lips.

    Odie
    --

    > > It's pretty obvious to most that I provide good advice on boot problems,
    and
    > > you provide bad advice on most topics. You are the one who needs to learn a
    > > lot.
    > >
    > > Perhaps you should start by reading my original post in this thread.
    >
    > Your very next post states:
    >
    > "Boot the Win2K CD, type R when prompted, and run recovery console.
    >
    > Run chkdsk and fixboot. If ntldr is still not there, copy it from CD."
    >
    > If your theory about "differing CHS geometries" is true, then how on
    > earth will your statement above be of any use?
    >
    > Go stand in the corner and keep your finger on your lips.

    Idiot. That advice is the first thing to try, because corruption is most
    likely.

    If the OP still gets the error, then CHS is the next thing to investigate.

    Considering your solution to boot problems is the same regardless of symptoms,
    you don't have a clue.

    marslee@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    > the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    > but i get the following error message.
    >
    > NTLDR Is Missing
    >
    > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?

    Most likely cause of that message is that you have an optimized disk driver
    for your old board installed and that driver's not compatible with your new
    one.

    The _easy_ thing to do is find another motherboard with the same chipset as
    your old one, install on that, and if everything comes up then reconfigure
    the disk driver to the generic driver that comes with Windows, then hook
    the disk to the new board and put in the optimized driver.

    The hard thing to do is set it up with a second copy of Windows, figure out
    what the optimized driver changes when it goes in, undo that by hand on the
    main copy (this includes importing and exporting registry data), and then
    bringing up the main Windows and installing drivers for your new board.
    First time I tried it it took me about three days to get the machine going
    and that was with another machine in the original configuration to work
    with and tools that let me track registry and configuration changes.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > NTLDR Is Missing
    > >
    > > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > Most likely cause of that message is that you have an optimized disk driver
    > for your old board installed and that driver's not compatible with your new
    > one.

    Bullshit. NTLDR is loaded by the BIOS, no drivers are available at that point.

    What is wrong with you? We know Odie doesn't have a clue.

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > > It's pretty obvious to most that I provide good advice on boot problems,
    > and
    > > > you provide bad advice on most topics. You are the one who needs to learn a
    > > > lot.
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps you should start by reading my original post in this thread.
    > >
    > > Your very next post states:
    > >
    > > "Boot the Win2K CD, type R when prompted, and run recovery console.
    > >
    > > Run chkdsk and fixboot. If ntldr is still not there, copy it from CD."
    > >
    > > If your theory about "differing CHS geometries" is true, then how on
    > > earth will your statement above be of any use?
    > >
    > > Go stand in the corner and keep your finger on your lips.
    > >
    > Idiot. That advice is the first thing to try, because corruption is most
    > likely.
    >
    > If the OP still gets the error, then CHS is the next thing to investigate.
    >
    > Considering your solution to boot problems is the same regardless of symptoms,
    > you don't have a clue.

    Gosh - I do hope I haven't offended you.

    Calm down - high blood pressure is not good for your health. You're
    acting like a spoilt little child. Which, of course, you may be.

    Odie
    --

    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > >
    > > Idiot. That advice is the first thing to try, because corruption is most
    > > likely.
    > >
    > > If the OP still gets the error, then CHS is the next thing to investigate.
    > >
    > > Considering your solution to boot problems is the same regardless of
    symptoms,
    > > you don't have a clue.
    >
    > Gosh - I do hope I haven't offended you.
    >
    > Calm down - high blood pressure is not good for your health. You're
    > acting like a spoilt little child. Which, of course, you may be.

    You are acting like a mental case. Why don't you play with Rod for a while.

    Like all trolls, you cannot stick to the topic.

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Idiot. That advice is the first thing to try, because corruption is most
    > > > likely.
    > > >
    > > > If the OP still gets the error, then CHS is the next thing to investigate.
    > > >
    > > > Considering your solution to boot problems is the same regardless of
    > symptoms,
    > > > you don't have a clue.
    > >
    > > Gosh - I do hope I haven't offended you.
    > >
    > > Calm down - high blood pressure is not good for your health. You're
    > > acting like a spoilt little child. Which, of course, you may be.
    >
    > You are acting like a mental case. Why don't you play with Rod for a while.
    >
    > Like all trolls, you cannot stick to the topic.

    Like I said, Eric - down, boy - watch the blood pressure.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    > marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    >> the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    >> but i get the following error message.
    >>
    >> NTLDR Is Missing
    >>
    >> I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > Most likely cause of that message is that you have an optimized
    > disk driver for your old board installed and that driver's not
    > compatible with your new one.

    ....and the easiest of all approach is to do a repair installation
    after booting from the Windows 2000 CD.

    As suggested earlier BTW, before a troll polluted the thread.

    Euan Kerr wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>> I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    >>> the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    >>> but i get the following error message.
    >>>
    >>> NTLDR Is Missing
    >>>
    >>> I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
    >>
    >> Most likely cause of that message is that you have an optimized
    >> disk driver for your old board installed and that driver's not
    >> compatible with your new one.
    >>
    > ...and the easiest of all approach is to do a repair installation
    > after booting from the Windows 2000 CD.
    >
    > As suggested earlier BTW, before a troll polluted the thread.

    That's _if_ the repair installation (a) behaves and (b) fixes the problem.
    I've had it (a) trash the original installation and (b) go in apparently
    cleanly but not properly overwrite the disk drivers so you're back to where
    you started from.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in

    > <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I moved my hard disk from my old computer to
    >> the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    >> but i get the following error message.
    >>
    >> NTLDR Is Missing
    >>
    >> I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > As it is usually fixed, by loading the missing driver(s) at
    > bootup.

    I'm interested to learn how - please would you provide more details?
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > NTLDR Is Missing
    > > >
    > > > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
    > >
    > > Most likely cause of that message is that you have an optimized disk driver
    > > for your old board installed and that driver's not compatible with your new
    > > one.
    > >
    > Bullshit. NTLDR is loaded by the BIOS, no drivers are available at that point.
    >
    > What is wrong with you? We know Odie doesn't have a clue.

    Eric,

    There's help for people like you. Not sure where you can get it, but
    it's out there somewhere.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    > Euan Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    >>> Most likely cause of that message is that you have an
    >>> optimized disk driver for your old board installed and that
    >>> driver's not compatible with your new one.
    >>>
    >> ...and the easiest of all approach is to do a repair
    >> installation after booting from the Windows 2000 CD.
    >>
    >> As suggested earlier BTW, before a troll polluted the thread.
    >
    > That's _if_ the repair installation (a) behaves and (b) fixes
    > the problem. I've had it (a) trash the original installation and
    > (b) go in apparently cleanly but not properly overwrite the disk
    > drivers so you're back to where you started from.

    You are right in that a repair installation doesn't always fix all
    faults on a corrupted disk. But when moving a working boot disk to
    another system, I've used the technique successfully on several
    occasions.

    The key point is that kernel of NT4, W2K, XP etc is customised to
    the hardware at installation time eg a system built for a P4
    processor won't run on an AMD Athlon. So *just* replacing NTLDR is
    addressing a symptom, unless the original and new mobos use the
    same CPU and chipset. From the OP, the latter is apparently *not*
    the case.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Euan Kerr wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> Euan Kerr wrote:
    >>
    >>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    >>> ...and the easiest of all approach is to do a repair
    >>> installation after booting from the Windows 2000 CD.
    >>>
    >>> As suggested earlier BTW, before a troll polluted the thread.
    >>
    >> That's _if_ the repair installation (a) behaves and (b) fixes
    >> the problem. I've had it (a) trash the original installation and
    >> (b) go in apparently cleanly but not properly overwrite the disk
    >> drivers so you're back to where you started from.
    >>

    > You are right in that a repair installation doesn't always fix all
    > faults on a corrupted disk. But when moving a working boot disk to
    > another system, I've used the technique successfully on several
    > occasions.
    >
    > The key point is that kernel of NT4, W2K, XP etc is customised to
    > the hardware at installation time eg a system built for a P4
    > processor won't run on an AMD Athlon. So *just* replacing NTLDR is
    > addressing a symptom, unless the original and new mobos use the
    > same CPU and chipset. From the OP, the latter is apparently *not*
    > the case.

    I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that there is
    risk involved. If the repair installation doesn't get you going then you
    are back where you started from and little loss, but if it loses data
    that's another story entirely.

    And I don't believe that I have ever suggested replacing NTLDR as a
    solution--that doesn't help if you don't have the right drivers loaded.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Euan Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    >>> That's _if_ the repair installation (a) behaves and (b) fixes
    >>> the problem. I've had it (a) trash the original installation
    >>> and (b) go in apparently cleanly but not properly overwrite
    >>> the disk drivers so you're back to where you started from.
    >>>

    >> You are right in that a repair installation doesn't always fix
    >> all faults on a corrupted disk. But when moving a working boot
    >> disk to another system, I've used the technique successfully on
    >> several occasions.
    >>
    >> The key point is that kernel of NT4, W2K, XP etc is customised
    >> to the hardware at installation time eg a system built for a P4
    >> processor won't run on an AMD Athlon. So *just* replacing NTLDR
    >> is addressing a symptom, unless the original and new mobos use
    >> the same CPU and chipset. From the OP, the latter is apparently
    >> *not* the case.
    >
    > I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that
    > there is risk involved. If the repair installation doesn't get
    > you going then you are back where you started from and little
    > loss, but if it loses data that's another story entirely.
    There is risk I agree and I back up the user data by mounting the
    drive as a data drive on a working system if possible before
    attempting it.

    > And I don't believe that I have ever suggested replacing NTLDR
    > as a solution--that doesn't help if you don't have the right
    > drivers loaded.
    The NTLDR reference was about a solution proposed by another
    poster. Sorry if I caused you confusion.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Euan Kerr" <aaargh@invalid.jp> wrote in message news:Xns95FF1545D32E9FlSxxx@130.133.1.4
    > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in news:37cnh2F5bkldrU2@individual.net:
    > > marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1108345058.781703.101540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
    > > > I moved my hard disk from my old computer to the new motherboard since the old motherboard was broken
    > > > but i get the following error message.
    > > >
    > > > NTLDR Is Missing
    > > >
    > > > I use win2000, Anyone know how to fix it?
    > >
    > > As it is usually fixed, by loading the missing driver(s) at bootup.
    >
    > I'm interested to learn how - please would you provide more details?

    Never mind. Like a few others I spoke too soon. Unless the driver replaces
    some file called by the partition bootsector code that then calls ntldr,
    I was wrong.

    Eric's suggestion about wrong CHS geometry sounds more plausible but
    has 2 problems:

    1) Why would system A not have a problem with the CHS geometry but B will.
    Unless the MBR was altered intentionally (i.e., not an accident) that doesn't
    make sense.

    2) The bootsector code appears to use LBA, ie Int 13 ext, not regular Int13.

    So most likely the directory got corrupted when the previous MoBo
    died and ntldr not found as a result, which was Eric's other suggestion.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cuvn7o01uha@news1.newsguy.com
    > Euan Kerr wrote:

    Who are you calling a troll, troll?
    Are you just so chicken that you don't dare name him in case he may
    be just right and you can just say: No, I disn't mean him, I meant the
    other guy.

    > > > That's _if_ the repair installation (a) behaves and (b) fixes
    > > > the problem. I've had it (a) trash the original installation and
    > > > (b) go in apparently cleanly but not properly overwrite the disk
    > > > drivers so you're back to where you started from.
    > > >

    > > You are right in that a repair installation doesn't always fix all
    > > faults on a corrupted disk. But when moving a working boot disk to
    > > another system, I've used the technique successfully on several
    > > occasions.
    > >
    > > The key point is that kernel of NT4, W2K, XP etc is customised to
    > > the hardware at installation time eg a system built for a P4
    > > processor won't run on an AMD Athlon.

    > > So *just* replacing NTLDR is addressing a symptom,

    It is not a symptom if it is essential to booting and most important of
    all, *missing*.

    > > unless the original and new mobos use the same CPU and chipset.
    > > From the OP, the latter is apparently *not* the case.

    OP didn't say anything about that. He actually barely said anything.
    Not even whether he checked that the error message was correct.

    > I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that there is
    > risk involved. If the repair installation doesn't get you going then you
    > are back where you started from and little loss, but if it loses data
    > that's another story entirely.
    >

    > And I don't believe that I have ever suggested replacing NTLDR as a
    > solution--that doesn't help if you don't have the right drivers loaded.

    I think you should let Eric out of your killfile.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "Euan Kerr" <aaargh@invalid.jp> wrote in message
    >> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in
    >> > marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> > As it is usually fixed, by loading the missing driver(s) at bootup.
    >>
    >> I'm interested to learn how - please would you provide more details?
    >
    > Never mind. Like a few others I spoke too soon. Unless the driver replaces
    > some file called by the partition bootsector code that then calls ntldr,
    > I was wrong.
    >
    > Eric's suggestion about wrong CHS geometry sounds more plausible but
    > has 2 problems:

    > 1) Why would system A not have a problem with the CHS geometry but B will.

    Just because a different drive type entry is used in the two systems.

    > Unless the MBR was altered intentionally
    > (i.e., not an accident) that doesn't make sense.

    Fraid it does.

    The fix isnt hard tho, just use the AUTO drive type always.

    > 2) The bootsector code appears to use LBA, ie Int 13 ext, not regular Int13.

    > So most likely the directory got corrupted when the previous MoBo
    > died and ntldr not found as a result, which was Eric's other suggestion.

    That's just one of the possibilitys.

Ntldr Motherboards Storage