Floppy Disk Drives ? Do they rot if not used ?

I use my floppy drive about once a year these days and it seems I'm
having a real problem finding a floppy that has no bad blocks when
formatted. The last box of disks is a couple years old and I've got a
pile that are older than that.

It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ? Do the heads
on these things degrade if they are not being used regularly ?

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Floppy disk are contact recording devices based on magnetic particles.

Ovetime depending on the manufacturer the particles realign themselves.

Its like having 2 north poles constanting opposing each other or a
north and south pole wanting to migrate togeher where eventually the
magnetics are able to find their happy medium.

Either due to weak gamma ferric oxide particles or the binder that
suspends and holds the particles in place.

I doubt contamination is the issue, but it wouldn't hurt to run an
isoprophyl cleaning disk before to make sure dont scratch the floppy.

Some floppies are very hard and scratch easier than others.

Floppies are supposed to be able to hold data up to ten years but if
you havent used the floppies for awhile you might need to use chkdsk
a:/f or some other program to verify and fix any soft errors.

Al Dykes wrote:

> I use my floppy drive about once a year these days
> and it seems I'm having a real problem finding a
> floppy that has no bad blocks when formatted.

> It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ?
> Do the heads on these things degrade if they are not
> being used regularly ?

I have floppy disks from the late 1970s that were still readable a few
years ago with floppy controllers with poor data recovery ability.

Try sealing the drive against dust by Scotch taping every gap, and put
a cover over the front while it's not in use, even over the pushbutton.

Dust can affect not only the heads but also the optical track 0 sensor
(gap that a shutter on the head assembly blocks when the heads move all
the way out) and the head positioner lead screw (grease becomes gummy
from dust, but golden lead screws use no lube). Also head alignment
can eventually go bad, regardless of dust, but adjusting it can be very
frustrating without a special alignment disk (contains odd signals and
cannot be copied) or oscilloscope.

You may want to configure your BIOS to enable the floppy disk seek at
boot-up to exercise the lead screw.

Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in
message news:cut1ss$1qe$1@panix5.panix.com...

> I use my floppy drive about once a year these
> days and it seems I'm having a real problem finding
> a floppy that has no bad blocks when formatted.

Yeah, I avoid them as much as I can now.

> The last box of disks is a couple years old
> and I've got a pile that are older than that.

> It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ?

Its just the technology, well past its useby date now.

> Do the heads on these things degrade
> if they are not being used regularly ?

Nope.

> > Do the heads on these things degrade
> > if they are not being used regularly ?
>
> Nope.

...but the drive might fill up with dust :)

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

might sound daft but . . .

if you have various boot floppys for various things

can you just fo a 1-for-1 copy , one floppy to a cd
and expect to boot from the cd , given BIOS setting of course ?

thanks

Previously Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:
> I use my floppy drive about once a year these days and it seems I'm
> having a real problem finding a floppy that has no bad blocks when
> formatted. The last box of disks is a couple years old and I've got a
> pile that are older than that.

> It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ? Do the heads
> on these things degrade if they are not being used regularly ?

No. I have a very old 5.25" drive that still works. Maybe
your set-up draws a lot of air through it and it fills up
with dust?

On the other hand the data and format on the floppies does rot.
Still a new format should fix that for most.

Arno

zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> might sound daft but . . .

Nope.

> if you have various boot floppys for various things

> can you just fo a 1-for-1 copy , one floppy to a cd and
> expect to boot from the cd , given BIOS setting of course ?

Nope, but there are utes around that will take the
bootable floppy and make a bootable CD from that.

> <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Al Dykes wrote:
>>
>> > I use my floppy drive about once a year these days
>> > and it seems I'm having a real problem finding a
>> > floppy that has no bad blocks when formatted.
>>
>> > It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ?
>> > Do the heads on these things degrade if they are not
>> > being used regularly ?
>>
>> I have floppy disks from the late 1970s that were still readable a few
>> years ago with floppy controllers with poor data recovery ability.
>>
>> Try sealing the drive against dust by Scotch taping every gap, and put
>> a cover over the front while it's not in use, even over the pushbutton.
>>

>> Dust can affect not only the heads but also the optical track 0 sensor
>> (gap that a shutter on the head assembly blocks when the heads move all
>> the way out) and the head positioner lead screw (grease becomes gummy
>> from dust, but golden lead screws use no lube). Also head alignment
>> can eventually go bad, regardless of dust, but adjusting it can be very
>> frustrating without a special alignment disk (contains odd signals and
>> cannot be copied) or oscilloscope.
>>
>> You may want to configure your BIOS to enable the floppy disk seek at
>> boot-up to exercise the lead screw.

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

go on rod - give us a clue

and i wager the reply might include google !

:)

> zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > might sound daft but . . .
>
> Nope.
>
> > if you have various boot floppys for various things
>
> > can you just fo a 1-for-1 copy , one floppy to a cd and
> > expect to boot from the cd , given BIOS setting of course ?
>
> Nope, but there are utes around that will take the
> bootable floppy and make a bootable CD from that.
>

> > <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> >> I have floppy disks from the late 1970s that were still readable a few
> >> years ago with floppy controllers with poor data recovery ability.
> >>
> >> Try sealing the drive against dust by Scotch taping every gap, and put
> >> a cover over the front while it's not in use, even over the pushbutton.
> >>

> >> Dust can affect not only the heads but also the optical track 0 sensor
> >> (gap that a shutter on the head assembly blocks when the heads move all
> >> the way out) and the head positioner lead screw (grease becomes gummy
> >> from dust, but golden lead screws use no lube). Also head alignment
> >> can eventually go bad, regardless of dust, but adjusting it can be very
> >> frustrating without a special alignment disk (contains odd signals and
> >> cannot be copied) or oscilloscope.
> >>
> >> You may want to configure your BIOS to enable the floppy disk seek at
> >> boot-up to exercise the lead screw.

Perhaps you should just read the documentaton for your CD burning app.

On 15 Feb 2005 09:44:44 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ? Do the heads
>on these things degrade if they are not being used regularly ?

I have encountered the same problem and now I use a head cleaner
before I start using the drive.

Possibly some debris that got stuck in the head in an earlier use or a
dust particle that got stuck hard damages the disc when used after a
long interval.

HTH

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:42164745$0$8741$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...

> go on rod - give us a clue

How many of you are there between those ears, child ?

Nero and Roxio will both do it and if you want something
rather more fancy there is stuff like EasyBoot too.

> and i wager the reply might include google !

How much was that wager for again ?

> :)

Wipe that smirk off your face, child, this is no laughing matter.

"Ardent" <iam@here.com> wrote in message

> On 15 Feb 2005 09:44:44 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
> >It occurs to me, is the problem with my floppy drive ? Do the heads
> >on these things degrade if they are not being used regularly ?
>
> I have encountered the same problem and now I use a head cleaner
> before I start using the drive.
>
> Possibly some debris that got stuck in the head in an earlier use or a
> dust particle that got stuck hard damages the disc when used after a
> long interval.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Sandy Archer
> Reply to newsgroups only

I've also noticed that floppy drives that weren't used for a long
period of time seemed to develop problems. There's a saying that
the used doorstep doesn't rot. Since rust is iron oxide, perhaps
deposits on the heads from media contribute to rusting...rust rot!

There is no iron oxide on floppies. Perhaps 5.25" 720K did.

"nospam" <nospam@notime.org> wrote in message

> I've also noticed that floppy drives that weren't used for a long
> period of time seemed to develop problems. There's a saying that
> the used doorstep doesn't rot. Since rust is iron oxide, perhaps
> deposits on the heads from media contribute to rusting...rust rot!

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

well - sense of humour bypass methinks

i know cd apps can do bootable cds i thought there was
something more to converting a floppy to cd than that

chill out "child"

:)

> zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:42164745$0$8741$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
>
> > go on rod - give us a clue
>
> How many of you are there between those ears, child ?
>
> Nero and Roxio will both do it and if you want something
> rather more fancy there is stuff like EasyBoot too.
>
> > and i wager the reply might include google !
>
> How much was that wager for again ?
>
> > :)
>
> Wipe that smirk off your face, child, this is no laughing matter.
>

> > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
> >> zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote

> >> Nope.
>
> > > if you have various boot floppys for various things

> >> Nope, but there are utes around that will take the
> >> bootable floppy and make a bootable CD from that.

just buy a new floppy for a fiver :p

allan <allanpaterson@gmail.com> wrote in message

> just buy a new floppy for a fiver :p

Hell of a lot more convenient to have the utes
you use on a CD with a decent boot menu.

You dont even need to make it yourself, there's quite a few around
already done, and some dont even bother with DOS anymore too.