David

A friend of mine told me that a friend of his who works in the computer
business won't recommend any HDD over 180gb, says 200gb is the
breakpoint where RMA returns go through the roof. Can anyone comment on
this?

Thanks.

Bleeding edge technology is generally less reliable than something that
had time to mature. So, if his data is from a few months ago, it is
probably accurate. Today 200 GB is probably mature and 350 to 400 GB is
bleeding edge.

Andy

My only comment is I have six 200GB hard drives, the oldest about two
years old, and they're doing fine.

Previously David <dave.R.us@comcast.net> wrote:
> A friend of mine told me that a friend of his who works in the computer
> business won't recommend any HDD over 180gb, says 200gb is the
> breakpoint where RMA returns go through the roof. Can anyone comment on
> this?

Seagate gives 5 years warranty on their new 300GB and 400GB
SATA drives and claims they are "proven technology". Does not look
to me like they expect problems.

Maxtor still has reasonable failure rates (if a bit higher) on
their 200GB models (personal experience). Other brands
may differ.

Arno

"RPR" <rohbeck@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1108516222.851821.263650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
> Bleeding edge technology is generally less reliable than something that
> had time to mature. So, if his data is from a few months ago, it is
> probably accurate.

> Today 200 GB is probably mature and 350 to 400 GB is bleeding edge.

The socalled "bleeding edge" may just be mature technology
where added capacity is accomplished by adding more platters.
Look at the Hitachi 7k500, it has 5(!) platters where most drives
have only 2 or 3. That is 100GB per platter, not exactly bleeding edge.
http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/F38C7338FDF0F8DC86256F4F006B41F6/$file/7K500_PATA-LR.jpg

TRENDING THREADS