I have a new XP and I was just using it when it started to click. It
didn't come often at first but soon it was constant and loud. I closed
all my open programs and tried to run scandisk. It told me I need to
reboot. I tried to reboot but it froze so I push the power button. I
boot back up it stars clicking it takes sonsiderably long then makes to
beeps and says "Strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility" Is this
a hard drive problem? if so how can it be fixed?

dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

millerdp@frontiernet.net wrote:
> I have a new XP and I was just using it when it started to click. It
> didn't come often at first but soon it was constant and loud. I
closed
> all my open programs and tried to run scandisk. It told me I need to
> reboot. I tried to reboot but it froze so I push the power button. I
> boot back up it stars clicking it takes sonsiderably long then makes
> beeps and says "Strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility" Is
this
> a hard drive problem? if so how can it be fixed?

It sounds like you have a defective hard drive. I have been told that
there might be a software utility that you could get to fix it. If it
is still under warrenty then send it in.

No I'm afraid it's no longer under warranty

<millerdp@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> No I'm afraid it's no longer under warranty

Sounds like your drive is fried.

Boot up from another hard drive, set the clicking drive as the slave and see
if you can salvage any files from it. But use it as little as possible
because the more you use it, the more damage you are likely to do.

The strangest thing is happening now. it starts to boot up normally
without clicking but then the monitor screws up and it freezes on the
XP loading screen.

> The strangest thing is happening now. it starts to boot up normally
> without clicking but then the monitor screws up and it freezes on the
> XP loading screen.

Not weird. The absence of clicking does not imply the absence of problems on
your hard drive.

Looks like necessary OS files have been loused up. Stop using the drive to
prevent further damage. You need to install a working hard drive and then
concentrate on transferring as much data as you can from this old drive to
the new drive - starting with the most important stuff first.

The more the drive operates the more data is being lost.