the nightmare is finally over! we won!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
market is over! it has finally ended!
the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
damaging steam! we won! we won!
read the news its unbelievably good!
http://www.bluesnews.com/

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

    > Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead.

    Please, please - not so loud
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:

    >>Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead.
    >

    > Please, please - not so loud

    What does AGHL mean?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > Its some sort of Kiddies club from alt.games.half-life

    You could call it a kiddies club if you like but if you take the total
    sum of the age of each "member" we are surprisingly few compared
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > x-no-archive: yes

    Weirdo.

    > the nightmare pc games have been living for the past
    > months when valve started infecting steam into the pc
    > game retail market is over! it has finally ended!
    > the retail channel will no longer be infected by
    > busive and damaging steam! we won! we won!
    > read the news its unbelievably good!
    > http://www.bluesnews.com/

    This is terrific news for developers such as Valve BUT consumers who
    would otherwise like to enjoy games such as Half-Life 2 without the
    intrusive Steam platform are still left with no recourse. As it stands
    if you want to play Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike: Source you are
    forced to install Steam on your system and get an 'okay' from Valve's
    authentication servers before you're allowed to even play the copy you
    payed for. That's unacceptable in this market. I wouldn't suggest
    that 'the customer is always right' but this complete disregard for the
    end user is an insult.

    --
    Best Regards, mattchu
    np: [ ]

    James Garvin wrote:
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >>> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead.
    >>

    >> Please, please - not so loud
    >>

    > What does AGHL mean?

    alt.games.half-life
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    mattchu wrote:

    > This is terrific news for developers such as Valve BUT consumers who
    > would otherwise like to enjoy games such as Half-Life 2 without the
    > intrusive Steam platform are still left with no recourse. As it stands
    > if you want to play Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike: Source you are
    > forced to install Steam on your system and get an 'okay' from Valve's
    > authentication servers before you're allowed to even play the copy you
    > payed for. That's unacceptable in this market. I wouldn't suggest
    > that 'the customer is always right' but this complete disregard for the
    > end user is an insult.

    I agree. Steam is the one thing I hate about HL2.

    "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >>> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead.
    >>

    >> Please, please - not so loud
    >>

    > What does AGHL mean?

    It's one of the usenet newsgroups you crossposted your response to :)
    McG.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    James Garvin wrote:
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >>> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead.
    >>

    >> Please, please - not so loud
    >>

    > What does AGHL mean?

    Its some sort of Kiddies club from alt.games.half-life
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    > when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    > market is over! it has finally ended!
    > the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    > damaging steam! we won! we won!
    > read the news its unbelievably good!
    > http://www.bluesnews.com/

    Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam
    will become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of
    delivering content.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Richard Cavell <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in news:d5088i$plq$2
    @nnrp.waia.asn.au:

    > On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >
    > Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    > boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam
    > will become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of
    > delivering content.

    do you think they wont be able to find a new publisher easily? either that
    or they can afford to publish them themselves
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:41:40 +1000, Richard Cavell
    <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote:

    >On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >
    >Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    >boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam
    >will become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of
    >delivering content.

    Valve is not the only PC game-developer on the planet..........

    John Lewis
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
    > On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >
    > Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    > boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam
    > will become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of
    > delivering content.

    Actually, none of that is stated. Only that Valve is now the sole
    owner/distributor of its own games. Is there anything to say that Valve
    cannot distribute through boxed retail also? I don't see anything to
    say that :) This simply means that the *publisher* is now out of the
    picture.
    McG.

    On 30 Apr 2005 16:27:23 GMT, Stone Monkey
    <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >Richard Cavell <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in news:d5088i$plq$2
    >@nnrp.waia.asn.au:
    >
    >> On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >>> x-no-archive: yes
    >>>
    >>> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >>> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >>> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >>> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >>> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >>> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >>> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >>
    >> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    >> boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam
    >> will become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of
    >> delivering content.
    >
    >do you think they wont be able to find a new publisher easily? either that
    >or they can afford to publish them themselves

    I don't know how popular the retail channel of Steam was, but I can
    see them relying solely on it if they sold many copies through the
    system.

    Lynley

    "Stone Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Richard Cavell <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in news:d5088i$plq$2
    > @nnrp.waia.asn.au:
    >
    >> On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >>> x-no-archive: yes
    >>>
    >>> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >>> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >>> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >>> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >>> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >>> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >>> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >>
    >> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    >> boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that
    >> Steam will become more insidious since this will be their *only*
    >> means of delivering content.
    >
    > do you think they wont be able to find a new publisher easily? either
    > that or they can afford to publish them themselves

    I believe Gabe could hire a printing/packaging company to do it :)
    McG.

    On 30 Apr 2005 16:27:23 GMT, Stone Monkey
    <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >Richard Cavell <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in news:d5088i$plq$2
    >@nnrp.waia.asn.au:
    >
    >> On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >>> x-no-archive: yes
    >>>
    >>> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >>> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >>> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >>> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >>> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >>> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >>> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >>
    >> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    >> boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam
    >> will become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of
    >> delivering content.
    >
    >do you think they wont be able to find a new publisher easily?

    Or retailers either ?

    How many distributors/retailers are willing to venture into the morass
    of competition with an unknown number of Steam download ?
    What about the freedom to discount at the retail level... which
    currently undercuts the cost of HL2 via Steam ?
    Any distributor taking on Steam games would need a cast-iron
    guarantee of 100% (plus interest and overhead) compensation
    of the manufacturing cost of any retail-returned or unsold games
    from Valve.

    >or they can afford to publish them themselves

    Yeah, that may be their only (money-losing) choice if they want a
    retail presence. ( The history of retail distribution of PC games has
    not been a happy one. Only a few long-term survivors.)
    Again cast-iron guarantees to the retailers of 100%
    compensation for unsold copies, since the presence of Steam
    download throws a monkey-wrench into any predictions
    of retail-sales quantities. And what about the customary retail
    discount-sale prices of popular games a few weeks after release..
    without requiring permission from Valve ? Loss-leaders to get
    customers into the store (and to the game-racks). Steam
    download sure offers no comparative discounts.... so far.

    John Lewis

    Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in

    > On 30 Apr 2005 16:27:23 GMT, Stone Monkey
    > <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Richard Cavell <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in news:d5088i$plq$2
    >>@nnrp.waia.asn.au:

    >>> Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that
    >>> boxed retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that
    >>> Steam will become more insidious since this will be their *only*
    >>> means of delivering content.
    >>
    >>do you think they wont be able to find a new publisher easily? either
    >>that or they can afford to publish them themselves
    >
    > I don't know how popular the retail channel of Steam was, but I can
    > see them relying solely on it if they sold many copies through the
    > system.
    >
    > Lynley

    even if they had sold alot of copies they would still lose alot of
    customers by not finding another publisher or doing it themselves, when i
    got half life i only had dial up and it was a pain in the arse but it was
    still possible to play it, and now thay they have released all of the
    updates through pc gamer then dial up people can get it aswell, so they
    certainly haven't forgotten about dial up users

    > Yeah, that may be their only (money-losing) choice if they want a
    > retail presence. ( The history of retail distribution of PC games has
    > not been a happy one. Only a few long-term survivors.)
    > Again cast-iron guarantees to the retailers of 100%
    > compensation for unsold copies, since the presence of Steam
    > download throws a monkey-wrench into any predictions
    > of retail-sales quantities. And what about the customary retail
    > discount-sale prices of popular games a few weeks after release..
    > without requiring permission from Valve ? Loss-leaders to get
    > customers into the store (and to the game-racks). Steam
    > download sure offers no comparative discounts.... so far.

    What's your next pet project ?
    Surely you have some bile left over for another games developer.
    Waster.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > if you want to play Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike: Source you are
    > forced to install Steam on your system and get an 'okay' from Valve's
    > authentication servers before you're allowed to even play the copy you
    > payed for. That's unacceptable in this market. I wouldn't suggest
    > that 'the customer is always right' but this complete disregard for the
    > end user is an insult.

    If you want to play CS:S then you got to go online anyway so what's the
    BFD? As for HL2, yes, ONCE you have to go online and authenticate. But you
    can continue to play it in offline mode after you've authenticated once. If
    you don't want steam to try and authenticate every time, either block it
    with a firewall program, or just disconnect the modem/ethernet cable.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
    > On 30/4/05 9:40 PM, steamKILLER wrote:
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> the nightmare pc games have been living for the past months
    >> when valve started infecting steam into the pc game retail
    >> market is over! it has finally ended!
    >> the retail channel will no longer be infected by abusive and
    >> damaging steam! we won! we won!
    >> read the news its unbelievably good!
    >> http://www.bluesnews.com/
    >
    > Wait, wait. This *doesn't* mean that Steam is dead. It means that boxed
    > retail of Valve games is dead. If anything, it means that Steam will
    > become more insidious since this will be their *only* means of delivering
    > content.

    How this guy isn't working for the US ministry of Information is beyond me.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 1 May 2005 03:55:21 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

    >"mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> if you want to play Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike: Source you are
    >> forced to install Steam on your system and get an 'okay' from Valve's
    >> authentication servers before you're allowed to even play the copy you
    >> payed for. That's unacceptable in this market. I wouldn't suggest
    >> that 'the customer is always right' but this complete disregard for the
    >> end user is an insult.
    >
    >If you want to play CS:S then you got to go online anyway so what's the
    >BFD? As for HL2, yes, ONCE you have to go online and authenticate. But you
    >can continue to play it in offline mode after you've authenticated once. If
    >you don't want steam to try and authenticate every time, either block it
    >with a firewall program, or just disconnect the modem/ethernet cable.

    Hey! No one asked you to butt in with straight talking, no nonsense facts, now
    did they?!? ;-)

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >>Its some sort of Kiddies club from alt.games.half-life
    >

    > You could call it a kiddies club if you like but if you take the total
    > sum of the age of each "member" we are surprisingly few compared

    All them "Kiddies" are them wet-behind-the-ears 20 something year old punks.
    Kids... bah! :-)
    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

    Vince wrote:
    > "Peter [AGHL]" wrote
    > >> Its some sort of Kiddies club from alt.games.half-life
    >
    > > You could call it a kiddies club if you like but if you take the
    total
    > > sum of the age of each "member" we are surprisingly few compared
    >
    > It would make more sense to work out the average instead of just the
    sum.

    "surprisingly few compared" to a high value when you take the sum how's
    the average then?
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter [AGHL]" wrote
    >> Its some sort of Kiddies club from alt.games.half-life

    > You could call it a kiddies club if you like but if you take the total
    > sum of the age of each "member" we are surprisingly few compared

    It would make more sense to work out the average instead of just the sum.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Vince wrote:
    > "Peter [AGHL]" wrote
    >
    > > Vince wrote:
    > >> "Peter [AGHL]" wrote

    > > total
    >
    > >> It would make more sense to work out the average instead of just
    the
    > > sum.
    >
    > > "surprisingly few compared" to a high value when you take the sum
    how's
    > > the average then?
    >
    > That's not even close to being a full sentence.
    >
    > You sound like Nigel Pry from the 'Radioactive' radio programme.

    Ahh - you are not able to comprehend then?
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Vince wrote:
    >> "Peter [AGHL]" wrote
    >>
    >> > You could call it a kiddies club if you like but if you take the
    > total
    >> > sum of the age of each "member" we are surprisingly few compared
    >>
    >> It would make more sense to work out the average instead of just the
    > sum.
    >
    > "surprisingly few compared" to a high value when you take the sum how's
    > the average then?

    From an old post in AGHL and 33 responses the average age is AGHL is 48.
    Take from that what you will.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter [AGHL]" wrote

    > Vince wrote:
    >> "Peter [AGHL]" wrote

    >> > You could call it a kiddies club if you like but if you take the
    > total
    >> > sum of the age of each "member" we are surprisingly few compared

    >> It would make more sense to work out the average instead of just the
    > sum.

    > "surprisingly few compared" to a high value when you take the sum how's
    > the average then?

    That's not even close to being a full sentence.

    You sound like Nigel Pry from the 'Radioactive' radio programme.

    > Were did you find that?

    A quite interesting thread from december

    World's oldest half life player
    http://surl.dk/nx/

    Shawk wrote:
    > "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Vince wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Peter [AGHL]" wrote

    >>total

    >>>It would make more sense to work out the average instead of just the
    >>
    >>sum.
    >>
    >>"surprisingly few compared" to a high value when you take the sum how's
    >>the average then?
    >>

    > From an old post in AGHL and 33 responses the average age is AGHL is 48.
    > Take from that what you will.

    Were did you find that? I searched the Google archives and couldn't find
    the thread about ages.
    But good to see that I'm below average!! w00t!! Wait a minute...

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    >>you are forced to install Steam on your system and get an 'okay' from
    >>Valve's authentication servers before you're allowed to even play the copy
    >>you payed for. That's unacceptable in this market.

    Agreed 100%. I would never ever buy another Valve developed game.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director

Games Steam IBM Video Games