Strange USB Hard drive and Ghost 9.0 Interaction

I have a Toshiba 5105 satellite laptop computer that has 3 usb
ports. When I attach an USB hard drive and boot from Ghost 9.0 cd, Ghost
does not see USB Hard drive. So I thought the USB port did not have
enough power, so I powered USB hard drive with a power plug; and still
Ghost would not see the USB hard drive.
Then I attached a usb floppy drive to my system along with my USB
hard drive -- powered by the usb port -- and boot from Ghost 9.0 CD,
Ghost sees the USB hard drive without any problems. To test it again, I
remove the usb floppy drive and again Ghost 9.0 does not see my USB hard
drive.

So it seems that the only way I will get Ghost 9.0 to recognize my
USB drive is when I attached an usb floppy drive. Is this normal? Is it
a problem with Ghost 9.0, or with the Laptop ? I have no problem seeing
the usb hard drive in Linux, DOS, or all version of Windows.

thanks for your time...
Reinhard

Add a r to my email address to contact me

"Reinhard Schimek" <schimek@excite.com> wrote in message

> I have a Toshiba 5105 satellite laptop computer that has 3 usb
> ports. When I attach an USB hard drive and boot from Ghost 9.0 cd, Ghost
> does not see USB Hard drive.

Do you need to load USB drivers or does Ghost 9.0 claim to have these? I
seem to remember that whan making an image you have to tell Ghost which
drivers to include so it can access where ever the data is.

Just for info. I always split images into smaller chunks when doing the
backup - even when to USB drive - that way I can beg/steal access to another
computer to transfer the data to DVD/RW easily - say if I had a problem
getting Ghost to access the USB drive.

See "Other causes and solutions for USB drives" on this page...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002093011135225?Open&src=&docid=2000101617144125&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Is your USB port provided by a PCMCIA card for example?

CWatters wrote:
> "Reinhard Schimek" <schimek@excite.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a Toshiba 5105 satellite laptop computer that has 3 usb
>>ports. When I attach an USB hard drive and boot from Ghost 9.0 cd, Ghost
>>does not see USB Hard drive.
>

> Do you need to load USB drivers or does Ghost 9.0 claim to have these? I
> seem to remember that whan making an image you have to tell Ghost which
> drivers to include so it can access where ever the data is.
>
> Just for info. I always split images into smaller chunks when doing the
> backup - even when to USB drive - that way I can beg/steal access to another
> computer to transfer the data to DVD/RW easily - say if I had a problem
> getting Ghost to access the USB drive.

CWatters,

Ghost 9 should already have usb drivers, and what seems strange
that Ghost will only see my usb hard drive only when i attach a usb
floppy drive to the laptop.

reinhard
Add a r to my email address to contact me

about paperpresentation in recent trends in ic engines

CWatters <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
> Reinhard Schimek <schimek@excite.com> wrote

>> I have a Toshiba 5105 satellite laptop computer that has
>> 3 usb ports. When I attach an USB hard drive and boot
>> from Ghost 9.0 cd, Ghost does not see USB Hard drive.

> Do you need to load USB drivers or does Ghost 9.0 claim to have these?

Ghost 9 uses a form of Win PE. You shouldnt need
drivers for that. Thats the whole point of using Win PE.

> I seem to remember that whan making an image you have to tell Ghost
> which drivers to include so it can access where ever the data is.

That was with the dos version of ghost and ghost 8.

> See "Other causes and solutions for USB drives" on this page...
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002093011135225?Open&src=&docid=2000101617144125&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

That's ghost 2003 which runs on dos, not ghost 9 which uses Wn PE.

If the drive is visible in XP, it should be visible with PE too.

> Is your USB port provided by a PCMCIA card for example?

peter

> If the drive is visible in XP, it should be visible with PE too.

It should, but it may not be visible. WinPE is like other version of
Windows, if you do not provide drivers to support specific hardware, you
wan't be able to use it. In this case it is Symantec responsibility to have
all most recent and complete set of drives available on their Norton Ghost
CD. So far I did not hear how they are planning to keep it up to date. Maybe
Ghost 10 (with 25% discount to previous Ghost customers) will have newer
drivers present

> CWatters wrote
>> Reinhard Schimek <schimek@excite.com> wrote

>>> I have a Toshiba 5105 satellite laptop computer that has 3 usb ports. When I
>>> attach an USB hard drive and boot from Ghost 9.0 cd, Ghost does not see USB
>>> Hard drive.

>> Do you need to load USB drivers or does Ghost 9.0 claim to have these? I
>> seem to remember that whan making an image you have to tell Ghost which
>> drivers to include so it can access where ever the data is.
>>
>> Just for info. I always split images into smaller chunks when doing the
>> backup - even when to USB drive - that way I can beg/steal access to another
>> computer to transfer the data to DVD/RW easily - say if I had a problem
>> getting Ghost to access the USB drive.

> Ghost 9 should already have usb drivers, and what seems strange that Ghost
> will only see my usb hard drive only when i attach a usb floppy drive to the
> laptop.

Yeah, do you get any odd effects in XP with the usb drives ?

Rod Speed wrote:
> Reinhard Schimek <schimek@excite.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Ghost 9 should already have usb drivers, and what seems strange that Ghost
>>will only see my usb hard drive only when i attach a usb floppy drive to the
>>laptop.
>

> Yeah, do you get any odd effects in XP with the usb drives ?

Ron,

Nope, when I place the usb drive in XP it recognize it without any
problems.
When I look into device manager, I see that I have 3 usb
controllers, but utilize only 2 of them maybe in someway it confuses
Ghost. One controller is use for my touch pad mouse, and external usb
device; and another is used for two external usb devices. According to
device manager,I have one more usb controller with 2 ports available but
not available..
Just plan strange, or the floppy drive is forcing ghost to scan all
the usb ports that are available.

reinhard

Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in
message news:37kpm1F5fjpkhU1@individual.net...

>> If the drive is visible in XP, it should be visible with PE too.

> It should, but it may not be visible. WinPE is like other
> version of Windows, if you do not provide drivers to
> support specific hardware, you wan't be able to use it.

That is just plain wrong with generic usb drives.

They should be supported by the native drivers than come with XP and PE.

> In this case it is Symantec responsibility to have all most recent
> and complete set of drives available on their Norton Ghost CD.

Wrong again with stuff like generic usb drives which
shouldnt need specific drivers or even the latest drivers.

> So far I did not hear how they are planning to keep it up to date.

They shouldnt need to if XP sees the drives fine.

> Maybe Ghost 10 (with 25% discount to previous
> Ghost customers) will have newer drivers present

See above.

peter

> >> If the drive is visible in XP, it should be visible with PE too.
>
> > It should, but it may not be visible. WinPE is like other
> > version of Windows, if you do not provide drivers to
> > support specific hardware, you wan't be able to use it.
>
> That is just plain wrong with generic usb drives.
>
> They should be supported by the native drivers than come with XP and PE.

You are right. Many of them are generic and work with built-in XP drivers.
But there are still plenty that require vendor supplied drivers.

> > > It should, but it may not be visible. WinPE is like other
> > > version of Windows, if you do not provide drivers to
> > > support specific hardware, you wan't be able to use it.
> >
> > That is just plain wrong with generic usb drives.
> >
> > They should be supported by the native drivers than come with XP and PE.
>
> You are right. Many of them are generic and work with built-in XP drivers.
> But there are still plenty that require vendor supplied drivers.

Nonsense, all USB controllers are based on three standards: UHCI, OHCI, and
EHCI. WinXP SP1 support all of them.

It is common knowledge that Microsoft's drivers work better than vendor's.

Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in
message news:37ku0cF5gaj6sU1@individual.net...

>>> It should, but it may not be visible. WinPE is like other
>>> version of Windows, if you do not provide drivers to
>>> support specific hardware, you wan't be able to use it.

>> That is just plain wrong with generic usb drives.

>> They should be supported by the native drivers than come with XP and PE.

> You are right. Many of them are generic and work with built-in XP drivers.
> But there are still plenty that require vendor supplied drivers.

Wrong, ah heck all in fact.

And that's why I asked about whether he sees any odditys under XP too.

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Reinhard Schimek <schimek@excite.com> wrote

>>> Ghost 9 should already have usb drivers, and what seems strange that Ghost
>>> will only see my usb hard drive only when i attach a usb floppy drive to the
>>> laptop.

>> Yeah, do you get any odd effects in XP with the usb drives ?

> Nope, when I place the usb drive in XP it recognize it without any problems.

> When I look into device manager, I see that I have 3 usb controllers, but
> utilize only 2 of them maybe in someway it confuses Ghost.

It shouldnt, because the ghost 9 bootable CD uses
Win PE and its basically what the XP bootable CD uses.

It would be interesting to see what happens to the visibility
of the drive if you boot the XP CD instead of the ghost 9 CD.

It may be some quirk of PE but its unlikely to be anything specific to ghost.

Its possible ghost does something a bit odd enumerating
the usb drives tho, so it would be interesting to see what
booting the XP CD shows usb drive wise.

> One controller is use for my touch pad mouse, and external usb device; and
> another is used for two external usb devices. According to device manager,I
> have one more usb controller with 2 ports available but not available..

Do you meant not available in the sense that its got a yellow exclamation
mark in the device manager ? If so that may be confusing things.

> Just plan strange, or the floppy drive is forcing ghost to scan all the usb
> ports that are available.

Yeah, I'd see what a booted XP CD shows, could be interesting.

Rod Speed wrote:
<snip>

> It shouldnt, because the ghost 9 bootable CD uses
> Win PE and its basically what the XP bootable CD uses.
>
> It would be interesting to see what happens to the visibility
> of the drive if you boot the XP CD instead of the ghost 9 CD.
>
> It may be some quirk of PE but its unlikely to be anything specific to ghost.
>
> Its possible ghost does something a bit odd enumerating
> the usb drives tho, so it would be interesting to see what
> booting the XP CD shows usb drive wise.
>

>>One controller is use for my touch pad mouse, and external usb device; and
>>another is used for two external usb devices. According to device manager,I
>>have one more usb controller with 2 ports available but not available..
>

> Do you meant not available in the sense that its got a yellow exclamation
> mark in the device manager ? If so that may be confusing things.
>

>>Just plan strange, or the floppy drive is forcing ghost to scan all the usb
>>ports that are available.
>

> Yeah, I'd see what a booted XP CD shows, could be interesting.

Ron,

I will able to get a copy XP PE, and it exhibit the same weird
behavior; when the floppy drive is not attached the usb hard drive is
not recognized, and when the floppy is attached usb hard drive is
recognize in XP PE without any problems.
When I say the port are not available, I mean that there are no
physical connections to those ports.... There is no yellow exclamation
marks, and says it is enable and working properly.

thanks...

> Rod Speed wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> It shouldnt, because the ghost 9 bootable CD uses
>> Win PE and its basically what the XP bootable CD uses.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see what happens to the visibility
>> of the drive if you boot the XP CD instead of the ghost 9 CD.
>>
>> It may be some quirk of PE but its unlikely to be anything specific to
>> ghost.
>>
>> Its possible ghost does something a bit odd enumerating
>> the usb drives tho, so it would be interesting to see what
>> booting the XP CD shows usb drive wise.
>>

>>>One controller is use for my touch pad mouse, and external usb device; and
>>>another is used for two external usb devices. According to device manager,I
>>>have one more usb controller with 2 ports available but not available..
>>

>> Do you meant not available in the sense that its got a yellow exclamation
>> mark in the device manager ? If so that may be confusing things.
>>

>>>Just plan strange, or the floppy drive is forcing ghost to scan all the usb
>>>ports that are available.
>>

>> Yeah, I'd see what a booted XP CD shows, could be interesting.

> I will able to get a copy XP PE, and it exhibit the same weird behavior; when
> the floppy drive is not attached the usb hard drive is not recognized, and
> when the floppy is attached usb hard drive is recognize in XP PE without any
> problems.

OK, then its just some quirk of the usb controllers and PE.

> When I say the port are not available, I mean that there are no physical
> connections to those ports.... There is no yellow exclamation marks, and says
> it is enable and working properly.

OK.

> thanks...

No problem.