5-Disc DVD burner/changer?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 17, 2005 11:48:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,rec.video.dvd.marketplace,rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Ok, all the time I see 5-disk DVD players at what not.. but what I want is
some kind of USB 2.0/Firewire or whatever, DVD burner, that can hold more
than one DVD at a time. (but obviously only able to play/burn one at a
time)..

I haven't seen any hardware out there that does this, or at least not at a
reasonable price (I've seen stuff like this cost in the thousands!) Am I
wrong, what are the choices out there for reasonably priced DVD
burner-changers or even readers, that can hook up to a computer? It seems
silly that I have to load up 5 DVD's individually, just to backup around 20
GB of data, and yet I can buy a 5 disc home DVD player for around $100.
Also, restoring a huge amount of data stored on DVD is also a total pain
without some kind of changer-reader. I can imagine just about everyone
wanting something like this -- not sure why it hasn't caught on.

Are there any reasonable options? I suppose buying a cheap machine and
putting 5 DVD burners in it is another option, but it doesn't seem so ideal,
and I'm not even sure what software exists so that I can burn a bunch of
data (such as a backup) sequentially to 5 different DVD drives in the same
machine.

Thanks, Ian

---
http://www.upright.net/ian/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 17, 2005 6:54:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,rec.video.dvd.marketplace,rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Most places still use digital tape. People serious about backups dont use
DVD media...I use a an 8 tape mini dat loader.

"Ian Upright" <ian-news@upright.net> wrote in message
> Ok, all the time I see 5-disk DVD players at what not.. but what I want is
> some kind of USB 2.0/Firewire or whatever, DVD burner, that can hold more
> than one DVD at a time. (but obviously only able to play/burn one at a
> time)..
>
> I haven't seen any hardware out there that does this, or at least not at a
> reasonable price (I've seen stuff like this cost in the thousands!) Am I
> wrong, what are the choices out there for reasonably priced DVD
> burner-changers or even readers, that can hook up to a computer? It seems
> silly that I have to load up 5 DVD's individually, just to backup around
20
> GB of data, and yet I can buy a 5 disc home DVD player for around $100.
> Also, restoring a huge amount of data stored on DVD is also a total pain
> without some kind of changer-reader. I can imagine just about everyone
> wanting something like this -- not sure why it hasn't caught on.
>
> Are there any reasonable options? I suppose buying a cheap machine and
> putting 5 DVD burners in it is another option, but it doesn't seem so
ideal,
> and I'm not even sure what software exists so that I can burn a bunch of
> data (such as a backup) sequentially to 5 different DVD drives in the same
> machine.
>
> Thanks, Ian
>
> ---
> http://www.upright.net/ian/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 17, 2005 8:05:51 PM

"Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:

>Most places still use digital tape. People serious about backups dont use
>DVD media...I use a an 8 tape mini dat loader.

Well maybe, but the other day I put in a DDS3 tape that I made 3.5 years
ago, and I could hardly recover a damn thing off of it. DVD's might not be
great either, but they are certainly better than this. What you cant get in
reliability, you can make up in inexpensive high volume to cover that risk.

Ian

---
http://www.upright.net/ian/
Related resources
February 17, 2005 8:05:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,rec.video.dvd.marketplace,rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> >Most places still use digital tape. People serious about backups dont
use
> >DVD media...I use a an 8 tape mini dat loader.
>
> Well maybe, but the other day I put in a DDS3 tape that I made 3.5 years
> ago, and I could hardly recover a damn thing off of it. DVD's might not
be
> great either, but they are certainly better than this. What you cant get
in
> reliability, you can make up in inexpensive high volume to cover that
risk.

> Ian

But then you loose again in a high operational labour cost. Unless you buy
expensive autoloader equipment. BTW, did enyone had a chance to work with a
backup system which uses DVD autoloader? How is the data verification
handled on a small 300GB backup? Does autoloader reloads all DVDs for the
purpose of verification?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 18, 2005 8:20:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,rec.video.dvd.marketplace,rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Sounds like a localized issue. I've got media 7-8 years old that reads
flawlessly. You must maintain the tape drives, and you dont use tapes that
have been written to 1000 times for long term storage, if any of those cases
apply, theres your most likely reason.

> "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:
>
> >Most places still use digital tape. People serious about backups dont
use
> >DVD media...I use a an 8 tape mini dat loader.
>
> Well maybe, but the other day I put in a DDS3 tape that I made 3.5 years
> ago, and I could hardly recover a damn thing off of it. DVD's might not
be
> great either, but they are certainly better than this. What you cant get
in
> reliability, you can make up in inexpensive high volume to cover that
risk.

> Ian
>
> ---
> http://www.upright.net/ian/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 18, 2005 9:37:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,rec.video.dvd.marketplace,rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Consider an external USB/Firewire hard drive.

!