nv4_disp.dll problems and DirectX problems

I think I am losing what little sanity that I have left. I am having a couple
of problems and they seem to be linked. Let's see if I can explain this so
that it makes sense. I downloaded directx 9.oc last week don't know where it
went because when I try to run "dxdiag" it says that I have vers 8.1 then
everything crashes and all that I can do is push the reset button. Then when
everything comes back I get an error message about the nv4_disp.dll here is
what the log files says about this error:

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=622898
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing
operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.
HeaderText=Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown. Microsoft
Windows detected a possible device failure.
Plea=The display driver for NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT (Microsoft Corporation)
seems to be responsible for the system instability.
Stage1URL=
Stage1URL=/StageOne/Drivers_Display/10DE002C1500000000/nv4_disp_dll/6_13_10_2958/EA8706EA.htm
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/StageTwo.asp?szAppName=Drivers.Display&szAppVer=10DE002C1500000000&szModName=nv4_disp.dll&szModVer=6.13.10.2958&Offset=EA8706EA
DataFiles=C:\WINDOWS\LogFiles\Watchdog\040819_1407_01.wdl
ErrorSubPath=\Drivers.Display\10DE002C1500000000\nv4_disp.dll\6.13.10.2958\EA8706EA

I understand that this is telling me that something is wrong with the Nvidia
driver, but it doesn't explain what is going on with DirectX.
3 answers Last reply
More about nv4_disp problems directx problems

    Just a WAG, but reset your monitor refresh rate to
    something a couple of steps BELOW what you have now. I
    was at 85 Hz and had all kinds of wrrors on two cards I
    know to be good. So far, when set to 72 Hz, I have no
    problems with either.

    Of course, not everybody can us a lower refresh rate
    effectively, but this might help diagnose your problem.

    David

    A standard refresh rate is 65Hz (which is what Safe Mode uses) so I don't
    know anyone who cannot use it. Of course they may not like the horrible
    'flickering' but the solution in that case is to get a better CRT.
    www.coribright.com

    > Just a WAG, but reset your monitor refresh rate to
    > something a couple of steps BELOW what you have now. I
    > was at 85 Hz and had all kinds of wrrors on two cards I
    > know to be good. So far, when set to 72 Hz, I have no
    > problems with either.
    >
    > Of course, not everybody can us a lower refresh rate
    > effectively, but this might help diagnose your problem.
    >
    > David
  3. I was working just fine ever since installing the NIDIA GEFORCE FX 5500 on my XP system a year ago. In-fact all worked perfectly until yesterday when I made a boneheaded decision to answer yes to installing Internet Explorer 8.0. So after running IE8.0 for awhile and noticing that my video subsystem was running very slow, I uninstalled IE8.0. Then whenever I run any Java, even stuff that has worked perfectly for a year, I get flickering displays, locked computer (5-10 seconds) and Blue screen Stop errors for NV4_DISP. So, I am convinced that there is something in the IE 8.0 update and uninstall that changed my system.

Video Microsoft Directx DLL Windows XP