Stubborn SD card problem.

I have a 256MB SD card that works normally but there's a directory
(leftover from my PDA) that refuses to go away. The individual files
in that directory can be renamed but effort to delete them failed.
Deleting them from 2 different XP machines, 3 different card reader,
and in my PDA all has failed to remove the offending files.

Until the files are gone, I can't remove the directory. I tried a
trick that involved copying over a blank file with the same name as
the directory (no extension) and it has failed. Same with copying to
replace offending files. I used Mutilate File Wiper on the file and
the whole folder and that has failed as well.

Using CHKDSK and Scandisk reported error but never fixes them. Norton
hangs when checking. Formatting also failed but with no error
message. It reports format complete but the file are still there.

I can still add files and take pictures so it's not stuck in write
protect or anything.

I'm about to feed that memory card through a paper shredder and
sending the remains to Sandisk.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
>I have a 256MB SD card that works normally but there's a directory
> (leftover from my PDA) that refuses to go away. The individual files
> in that directory can be renamed but effort to delete them failed.
> Deleting them from 2 different XP machines, 3 different card reader,
> and in my PDA all has failed to remove the offending files.
>
> Until the files are gone, I can't remove the directory. I tried a
> trick that involved copying over a blank file with the same name as
> the directory (no extension) and it has failed. Same with copying to
> replace offending files. I used Mutilate File Wiper on the file and
> the whole folder and that has failed as well.
>
> Using CHKDSK and Scandisk reported error but never fixes them. Norton
> hangs when checking. Formatting also failed but with no error
> message. It reports format complete but the file are still there.
>
> I can still add files and take pictures so it's not stuck in write
> protect or anything.
>
> I'm about to feed that memory card through a paper shredder and
> sending the remains to Sandisk.
> --
> To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

I am just guessing here.

With a Card Reader, check the properties of the offending folder and files.
See if they have the attributes of Read-only or System and/or Hidden, if so
change the attributes to Normal (no Read-only, no System and no Hidden).

Another condition, were you can not change or delete folders and files is
when the name of the folder or files has "not allowed" characters in the
name.

If that is the case, the only way to correct is to completely format the
card.
Do not format on the computer, format in the camera only. The computer may
format to a format that the camera can not read.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

As far as I know, the only way to format a flash memory card is in the
Camera.
Never in the Computer. The more you delete in the camera, the more you
should format...

Impmon wrote:
> I have a 256MB SD card that works normally but there's a directory
> (leftover from my PDA) that refuses to go away. The individual files
> in that directory can be renamed but effort to delete them failed.
> Deleting them from 2 different XP machines, 3 different card reader,
> and in my PDA all has failed to remove the offending files.

I don't think you can change the directory structure with XP or a PDA.
Try doing it with your camera by formatting the card.

Jerry